Now here's some research I can support! (re: flowers)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Darwin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Darwin »

One thing nice about being back in Texas is that even here in the Dalla-Fort Worth "Metroplex", there are fields of flowers to be seen.

The variety is amazing. I also like the details, which is why I have a whole gallery of flower parts. (I tried posting some here, but the links got funny.)
Last edited by Darwin on Fri May 13, 2005 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Gorgeous! For whoever was talking about African violets a while back: the thread convinced me to try again, so I bought two and put them on my kitchen table where they get north light. They're deliriously happy and on their second blooming. I've never had any do this great. I'll take a picture later today and try to post it.

Susan
Last edited by susnfx on Fri May 13, 2005 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

susnfx wrote:Can't see those. :(
They were there when I started, then disappeared. :sniffle:

Try the link, though.
Mike Wright

--Goethe
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

My mom was fortunate and on cloud nine, when she discovered deep in overgrown bushes of the backyard of a house that she just moved into to fine one of the few orchids that grow in Ontario, Canada.

It was the Ladyslipper, only two small clumps of these ever grew in the then deep undergrowth of the backyard and she never touched that area, it always grew wild. Also it was a family secret that they grew there naturally.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Flowers are very cool and Oh So Macho!

I made it out to Joshua Tree National Monument in March for a "hundred year bloom". We've had so much rain in So California this year that many rare blossoms had moisture for long enough to germinate and mature.

It was very cool!

http://www.tofutaco.com/JoshuaTree/

Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Beautiful, Daniel. I especially liked the close-ups of the white flowers. And I want to find an orchid in my back yard. Wait, where is it I live again? Chances are probably slim to none.

Susan
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Gee thanks! :oops:

You should have seen it in person. Took my breath away.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Here are my African violets:

Susan
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

susnfx wrote:Um, about the allergies - people are generally not actually allergic to flowers. Pollen carried by bees/insects (flowers, flowering trees, etc.) is too large to be inhaled and therefore doesn't cause the histamine to react. Most allergists (at least board certified allergists) don't even skin test for flowers because they usually are not the problem. The problems are the mini-pollens: trees, grass, weeds. You might actually be allergic to something (a tree/grass/weed) that's pollinating at the same time, so you think it's the flowers. (That said, however, they can be irritants.)

Susan
Ragweeds and goldenrods are flowers.
Reasonable person
Walden
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Among my recent hobbies is wildflower photography. I took this photo last May:

Reasonable person
Walden
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

All plants "flower" or blossom. From the website of the allergy/asthma clinic I work for:

"Wind-pollinated plants are very different from insect-pollinated plants. The small, lackluster blossoms are exposed to the wind, and many trees like cottonwoods and box elders blossom early before the leaves come out to get in the way. Those things that would attract insects, such as odor, nectar, and brilliant colors, are absent. The pollen grains are small, lightweight, and dry, and include grasses, common trees, and weeds. Fruit trees and ornamental flowers, which are pollinated by insects, pose few problems for allergy sufferers since this type of pollen is too sticky and heavy to be transported very far by air."

I love wildflowers, Walden, and dug out my mom's wildflower books just last week to try and identify some I've noticed recently.

Susan
KateG

Post by KateG »

Love the pictures, and let's hear it for flowers (aka weeds) in lawns. I have always loved dandelions and allowed them to grown in my lawn. My joy was compounded one morning when I looked out to see a flock of goldfinches feasting on the seeds. They were pouncing on the puffballs, riding them to the ground, devouring the seeds, and then bouncing on to the next plant. It was like a golden firework display. And it got better...the goldfinches were joined by an indigo bunting. The bluest bird I have ever seen. Sheer magic. I feel so sorry for folks whose houses are surrounded by acres of chemically induced monocultures.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

KateG wrote:Love the pictures, and let's hear it for flowers (aka weeds) in lawns. I have always loved dandelions and allowed them to grown in my lawn. My joy was compounded one morning when I looked out to see a flock of goldfinches feasting on the seeds. They were pouncing on the puffballs, riding them to the ground, devouring the seeds, and then bouncing on to the next plant. It was like a golden firework display. And it got better...the goldfinches were joined by an indigo bunting. The bluest bird I have ever seen. Sheer magic. I feel so sorry for folks whose houses are surrounded by acres of chemically induced monocultures.
I agree about dandelions and such in lawns. Unfortunately, our new home is subject to the tastes of the Homeowners' Association.

Finches like bachelor button (cornflower) seeds, too.

Image    Image
Mike Wright

--Goethe
rasp

Post by rasp »

i photo anything

too many freaks, not enough circuses
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

How did you get that little bird to pose for you?