"Magical Thinking"--sharing a bit of my craziness

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

"Magical Thinking"--sharing a bit of my craziness

Post by peeplj »

A bit of craziness from my childhood, a memory from when I was maybe eight years old or so:

Growing up, we didn't have cable or a color TV. What we had was a very old console television--the kind that had a massive wooden cabinet around it and was a piece of furniture in its own right--and an antenna on top of the house.

That old TV was a real piece of work. I always had to sit close, because I couldn't play the volume but barely loud enough to hear, for fear I'd wake my father, or disturb my brothers. And the picture would fuzz in and out, and roll, and sometimes lose the channel entirely.

In the way kids do, I got to thinking I could control this whole process a bit. I became convinced if I concentrated really really hard, by force of will I could keep the TV picture clear so I could see Flipper or a cartoon or whatever.

Here's the crazy part: as time went on, I seemed to get better at it. Sometimes I'd sit there scrunched up in deep concentration and the TV would behave for almost the whole hour.

And if it did roll, or fuzz out, or lose the channel--well, I decided I just wasn't concentrating hard enough. It wasn't that my mind-over-matter (actually, I guess, mind-over-airwaves) trick didn't work; rather, it was that I wasn't concentrating hard enough, that's all.

Well, I've not been eight for many many long years. The adult looks back at the child and sees that the child had deluded himself into thinking he could do the impossible.

And yet, when that darn red light just won't go green, if I concentrate and squinch my eyes just a certain way......... :twisted:

Anybody else got any crazy old memories to share?

--James
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

This is not a crazy old memory, it's a fact...or at least an anecdote. Now that we have cable this is no longer applicable, but when I get near a tv receiving the old wave signals it usually gets fuzzy. I exude too much electrical interference or something.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

When I was probably in the sixth grade, I read a little book on hypnosis at the house of a friend of my mother's. I sensed that my mother would not approve of hypnosis so I just studied it carefully and didn't mention it to any grown-ups. It took several visits to read since I had to sort of siddle away from the grown-ups, slip it off the bookshelf and then hide. It seemed sort of devil-related for some reason.

I then decided to hypnotize my friends. This had to be done in great secret of course. I knew the grown-ups would not approve. My friends were very cooperative and I was actually quite dumbfounded at my success. I would dangle something on a chain in front of them and say the right things and they would close their eyes and then do what I told them. I never told them to do anything much more exciting than "Stand up" or "Sit down" (being at heart a very boring child). I even hypnotized little kids, and I was amazed that even a four year old could be hypnotized.

WELL. Quite a number of years later, after I had moved to another state, I was talking to one of those old friends and my amazing ability to hypnotize people came up. I am still shocked to this very day by the fact that apparently none of those kids was ever hypnotized! They were all just playing along, and in fact, they thought I was fully aware of that. My friend was shocked that I had really believed they were hypnotized.

This sounds so crazy, but all I can say is that they played along so perfectly, there was never any slight thing that gave them away, no giggle, no nothing. I mean they must have been bored to tears sitting there listening to me say over and over "Now you are growing sleepy." How could they stand it? How could a four year old little boy sit still long enough to pretend he was hypnotized? I really believe they were not hypnotized, but I just can't get over how good an act they put on.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I used to be able to fly.

Not very high, but when my feet were tired, I'd just let them dangle while I floated along, a few inches above the ground, at a fast walking speed. This took no effort at all. I knew I shouldn't really do it, so I was very careful to never let anyone see me while I was hovering.

As I grew older, I lost the ability. Or, maybe, I just lost the courage to lift my feet up and fly.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I had lots of those kind of childhood curiosities. I guess we all do. Except I couldn't fly. I could only part the water in the river behind our house.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Martin Milner wrote:I used to be able to fly.

Not very high, but when my feet were tired, I'd just let them dangle while I floated along, a few inches above the ground, at a fast walking speed. This took no effort at all. I knew I shouldn't really do it, so I was very careful to never let anyone see me while I was hovering.

As I grew older, I lost the ability. Or, maybe, I just lost the courage to lift my feet up and fly.
This almost reminds me of the well-known phenomenon among children of being able to run faster than normal when wearing new shoes, I guess these days preferably very expensive ones.

When I was a kid that "new shoes speed burst" was often accompanied by the mechanical-type sounds of the Six Million Dollar Man. I would suppose these days the kid-provided sound effects would be different, but the overall impact on running speed I presume would be roughly equivalent.

--James
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

There's been research done at reputable universities (Princeton, e.g.) that suggests that the mild telekinesis you describe (or phenomena like them) may actually be possible. One of the prominent researchers is Dean Radin. I have no idea whether to buy it or not. Interesting though.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Wormdiet wrote:There's been research done at reputable universities (Princeton, e.g.) that suggests that the mild telekinesis you describe (or phenomena like them) may actually be possible. One of the prominent researchers is Dean Radin. I have no idea whether to buy it or not. Interesting though.
:lol: I used to concentrate hard.

If I had carried the least bit of TK potential, I think that poor old TV would have been sitting in the middle of the front yard. :boggle: :twisted:

--James
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

well why not take a different point of view on it? not kidding...
why WOULDN'T it be possible if you concentrate on something to keep workin that it WOULD keep working?
the human mind can do so much more as we do use such a small part of it still.
and kids just take these things for granted and when we grow up some of us lose these abilities as they are "brainwashed" that particular things won't work that it was just their imagination..........

berti

who still does these things for instance when the electrical tootbrush is gonna give out and concentrate on it to work till I am finished :D
just an example........who's next???
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Two thoughts:
Why do I think Peeps wears glasses now?

I know that if I touched the rabbit ear, the reception was better. Maybe it was just proximity.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Dewd, it was, like, your aura, y'know? TVs respond to auras. My channelling guide told me so.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I'm convinced that there is some truth to the "mild telekinesis" idea.

I've seen this most often with machines and people who can either make them work or make them stop in accordance with their expectations.

Any mechanical thing will fail if Arleen is in the room. She's anxious about computers, phones, fax machines, and they don't work in her presence a remarkably high percentage of the time. I wait for her to leave the room (and occasionally have ordered her to leave) before I send a fax after so many instances of the machine not working when she's there. (Of course, it works fine every time for me.)

The most striking example of this was when I was working as an offset pressman. There was a gentleman in management who was a professional handwringer. Any discussion with him would always involve a recitation on his part of all the things that could go wrong. Eventually, I noticed that the press would stop (jam, or whatever) every time he walked through the pressroom.

At one point, I was training an apprentice in that shop. I told him that presses would stop whenever Robert came near, but the apprentice thought I was nuts. Until ...

One day, we were running the Heidelburg two color press when Robert wandered in. The press had been running great all morning, but the moment Robert came by, it misfed. I punched the apprentice on the shoulder and gave him a look. "What?" he said. I nodded towards Robert, and he got it.

I mentioned this to my dad, who worked around printers most of his life. He said that this is well known in the printing world. It's not unusual at all to hear about a press that will only run for certain people or that will refuse to run for certain people.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

When I was about 8 or 9, we had a candy dish shaped like a large leaf. At one end sat a little elf. I spent hours trying to will that elf to life.

I think I sort of believed that it was really alive, and that all I had to do was to convince it to reveal itself.

My granddaughter was impressed at how good I was at getting lights to change to green.

My wife always seemed to do better than expected at the slot machines in the NCO clubs in Japan. Actually, she did the same at bingo. In fact, she could probably have earned a living at bingo. Yet whenever I went with her, I never won anything.

Richard Feynman told a story about when he was in college. He was sitting in his room when he suddenly had a strong feeling that his grandmother had died. Suddenly, the phone out in the hallway rang. But it was for someone else, and his grandmother hadn't died. His point was that if he had had that feeling and she had died, then he might have been tempted to think that he had had a genuine premonition. I'm sure that I've failed at willing traffic lights to change much more often than I've succeeded, but I don't retain those.

I don't think there's anything to telekinesis, precognition, etc. No testable mechanism has ever been suggested, and when we rely on anecdotal evidence, we can't distinguish mere coincidence from causation.

On the other hand, I have a pretty good anecdote of my own. After I retired from the Army, I ended up running a computer-controlled engraving machine, making plaques, trophies, signs, nametags, etc. Our customers were mostly military personnel from Ft. Ord, the Presidio of Monterey, and the Naval Postgraduate School. The owners of the company I worked for were a husband and wife. Jim was a retired Special Forces Colonel, and he mostly handled the merchandising side of the business. Charleen handled the books, payroll, and other behing-the-scenes operations.

One morning, Charleen came in all excited. She had been watching Uri Geller on the Tonight Show. At some point in the show, he told the home audience to find some mechanical object that didn't work. She dug out an old watch. Then, she followed his instructions and concentrated on making it work--and it did start working.

Naturally, we all laughed at her story, presenting plausible reasons for what had happened.

A couple of days later she came in with a similar story. Geller had been on some other late night show, and went through the same thing. This time, Charleen found a watch that had belonged to her grandmother. She said that it had not worked in all the time she'd had it. Once again, she concentrated on it, and it started working.

All the employees were gathered round, some amazed, some (guess who) skeptical. It happened that I had a little digital clock that wasn't working. I had mounted it on a desk set, but had to switch to a different one when that one failed. It lit up when turned on, but the time never changed.

So, I reached up on a shelf, got the little clock, and handed to Charleen, saying, "Here, make this work."

She held it between her hands, pressed it to her forehead, and began saying "Work, work..." over and over. After a few seconds, she brought her hands down and showed the clock. Sure enough, the seconds digits were changing steadily.

They tell me I spun around three times in my amazement. :boggle:

After that, things sort of got out of hand. We had opened a branch engraving shop on the Presidio of Monterey, and the gal who worked there told the whole story to the folks who ran the watch repair shop there. To make a long story short, she began bringing in watches that the repairman couldn't fix, and Charleen got several of them to work. She also had a couple of the women who worked with us bring in their own watches. In one case, she got one to run. In the other case, she talked the gal who brought it in into trying it for herself--and that started running, too.

I'm not sure why, but the whole thing sort of petered out after a couple of months. Certainly Charleen's success rate was ridiculously high--just about 100 percent. The only time I saw her fail was with a digital watch that turned out to have corroded battery terminals.

Charleen had no theory of her own about what was happening. I certainly don't, either.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
glauber

Post by glauber »

That's funny; i remember being able to do the exact same thing (except that i didn't do it in high speed).
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

glauber wrote:

That's funny; i remember being able to do the exact same thing (except that i didn't do it in high speed).
and i thought i was the only one! i had to pump my arms every now and then just to keep airborne. i was never any good at hovering. tried to sit in a birdbath once. got nasty strares from the others birds. what snobs!