Whistling and faith...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I've noticed for a while now that a LOT of people on this board seem to be fairly religious, judging by many poster's signatures ( Biblical quotes, etc). I realize that this is a can of worms, but does anyone think there is a connection between spiritual faith, and music?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Certainly I would say that religious faith has links to music. Consider the prominent place music plays in most worship services. Then again, what human activity doesn't have music?

Another factor may be that the Church gives people an opportunity to express themselves musically. Notice how many famous musicians and singers got their start in church.

Yes, my signature is one of the ones with a Scripture verse: Romans 10:9 in Latin.
Reasonable person
Walden
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Not meaning to step onto anyone's toes here, but I think music mustn't necessarily have got PER SE much to do with spirituality, but, on the other hand just plain with human beings. Humans and music have gone together as long as humans exist. It's just one of those happy things that join us in our lives.
Cheers, Amar.
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

Again, not trying to tread on toes, and purely to play devils' advocate, but isn't there a saying "The devil has all the best tunes?"

I still remember the mean fiddle playing in "The devil went down to Georgia" and wishing I could play like that - though not if I had to sell my soul for it.

I think most musicians are more in touch with the spiritual side of life. Even banging a drum or shaking a tamborine helps focus the mind on matters more important than the day-to-day humdrum of existence.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
gordontait

Post by gordontait »

I used to be VERY religeous, but I was thrown out of my religion (and my family) and music has taken it's place.
I know it sounds like a big pile of cheap psychology, but I reckon losing my religion left a big gap in my life that music has filled (I can't believe I'm spouting all this - I'm not even American :wink: )

Music is my new religion!
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

In my church, it tells us that Music is a large part of Heaven, and that those who are musicians tend to be more "spiritually in-touch" than others. I definetly believe that music is a wonderful gift given to us from God. I mean, I don't know about you, but when I play, I feel so happy... and calm, and relaxed, and unworried. It is a wonderful feeling. And I can't imagine that music has nothing to do with God or spirituality... Simply because it (most forms, anyway...) is so pure...
chas

Post by chas »

I've noticed this, too, Paul. I don't know if there really is any corelation, but it appears that way to me. I don't have a spiritual bone in my body, but it brings up an interesting thing that happened a couple of weeks ago. We were visiting my wife's family, including a niece who wouldn't give me the time of day till this visit. She told me she wanted to be a Christian singer, so I told her a little about Mack's Praise Whistlers site, and played some whistle for her. Suddenly, I was way cool, I gave her a very brief lesson, and now there's a package with a couple of whistles and a book and CD on the way to her. By her choice, I assure you. :smile:

Charlie
Gary

Post by Gary »

"I realize that this is a can of worms, but does anyone think there is a connection between spiritual faith, and music? "

brewerpaul,

According to the book of Job, ch.38 vs. 7, the universe sang at the time of creation indicating that music was right there "in the begining." Also, Acts chapter 16 records how during music, miracles happened and prisoners were set free.

I know of an individual considering suicide, who changed his mind after attending a special worship music service. This confirms how evil spirits flee from music. See 1 Samuel chapter 16. (Was that a Celtic harp? <g>)

A "new song" is mentioned 9 times in scripture. This is more than many laws and commandments.

Musicians led Israel in battle, including the march around Jerico.

The temple musicians were all Levites, who did nothing but live in the temple and play music all the time. Unfortunately, my worship pastor has refused my suggestion that we musicians be supported by him so we can play all day.

More songs have been written about Jesus Christ than any other individual.

The center of the Bible is the Psalms. The largest book is a song book, right in the heart of the Bible.

Gary
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

If you could ask Bach, you might get an interesting answer. He wrote incredible music (his weekly cantatas) for a church congregation that probably had no idea what their free admission was getting them.
Though a canny artisan not above recycling themes, etc., I think he was profoundly religious.

I think its a great topic because music can go either way. It can represent the "heavenly choir" or represent the weaknesses and vices of mankind. The latter view was debated by the Greeks as well as many religious figures since then.

If it seems like there are a lot religious inclinations on the Board, I would guess its because there are a fair amount of middle-aged people, as well as many people from the non-metro areas of the United States, where faith is strong. Middle-age people like me tend to get more religious as we approach and have contact with Death and watch our kids growing up and have those kinds of concerns. That's my story.
gogo

Post by gogo »

On 2002-05-20 10:46, The Weekenders wrote:
...music can go either way. It can represent the "heavenly choir" or represent the weaknesses and vices of mankind...
Or it can be an expression of personal human emotions, representing neither religious belief nor weakness and vice.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I'll go along with Weekender's theory. In general, music and spirituality are universals in human culture all over the world. Regardless of what people believe or don't believe, the majority of us have a spiritual side. And, the majority of us are moved by music. As far as who's a musician, I kind of doubt we're more spiritual than non-musicians. Probably, just more obsessive-compulsive.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Blayne Chastain

Post by Blayne Chastain »

On 2002-05-20 11:32, TonyHiggins wrote:
As far as who's a musician, I kind of doubt we're more spiritual than non-musicians. Probably, just more obsessive-compulsive.
Tony
Well put...
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

My own $.02 worth would be that music can speak to us on the same deep level of the mind where spirituality also can touch us.

The theological concept of the "numinous" can definitely apply to music--that state of mind in which we are filled with silent awe and with an awareness of being in the presence of something indescribably beautiful. There have been times I have felt that very strongly when listening to music.

So I would say music can be spiritual but isn't always. Much the same thing could be said about organized religion, but that's a different story.

Best wishes, and in the hopes that you still feel the wonder of looking up at the stars on a cold winter night,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

(Edited to correct a typo)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: peeplj on 2002-05-20 11:48 ]</font>
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

"Honky Tonk Angel" is the same tune as the Gospel number "Great Speckled Bird," after all!
Reasonable person
Walden
DazedinLA

Post by DazedinLA »

Like spirituality, I think the appreciation of and desire to create music is one of the defining elements of human nature, and perhaps to a certain extent the two are linked.

Who has not been mesmerized by the beating drums and haunting vocals of a Native American tribal sundance?

Who has not been touched by traditional Japanese singing?

And, jarring as it may sound to the Western ear, who cannot sense the power and significance of traditional Chinese Opera?

Each of these musical traditions, in addition to our long and diverse heritage of Christian devotional music, reaches deeply into the souls of listeners of all races and creeds, and hopefully awakens in all a deep appreciation of the unique perspective and culture of the civilizations and eras from which they came.

As for me, I play for the Special Food. :smile:
<a href="http://www.geocities.com/whistleannex/index.html">The Whistle Annex</a>, Home of the Chiffboard Matrix