88 members of Congress call on Bush about secret memo

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jGilder
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jGilder »

Antaine wrote:here's food for thought...I think the surest indication that the whole deal was not as diabolically engineered as the conspiracy theorists are saying it was is that we didn't find any. Had we gone in knowing that there wasn't anything to find we'd've imported something and "found" it.
Actually, there's evidence that the US attempted to do just that, but they kept getting busted. The materials they “found” would be scrutinized for point of origin and the Military would have to have been very careful on account of so much suspicion that they might try such a thing. An example of how closely other countries were watching is evidenced in the following article.

===============================

U.S. Unloading WMD in Iraq

Tehran Times
March 13, 2004

TEHRAN (Mehr News Agency) Over the past few days, in the wake of the bombings in Karbala and the ideological disputes that delayed the signing of Iraqís interim constitution, there have been reports that U.S. forces have unloaded a large cargo of parts for constructing long-range missiles and weapons of mass destruction (WMD) in the southern ports of Iraq.

A reliable source from the Iraqi Governing Council, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the Mehr News Agency that U.S. forces, with the help of British forces stationed in southern Iraq, had made extensive efforts to conceal their actions.

He added that the cargo was unloaded during the night as attention was still focused on the aftermath of the deadly bombings in Karbala and the signing of Iraqís interim constitution.

The source said that in order to avoid suspicion, ordinary cargo ships were used to download the cargo, which consisted of weapons produced in the 1980s and 1990s.

(Click headline for full article)

===============================

I think the US thought it would find something, but they had to start coming up with a different spin when they realized that Saddam had actually destroyed all of Iraq's WMDs to take away any pretext for US invasion. Iraq's weapon's chief, Kammal, indicated just that in his affidavit to US intelligence after defecting to Lebanon. Powell left that part of Kammal's testimony out of his case for invading Iraq presented to the UN Security Council of course.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Damn, I let my subscription to the Tehran Times lapse and missed that valuable piece of true fact...
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Still don't get it, or you just being cute? Ascribing monolithic thinking to any group to that degree of pejorative characteristics undermines your credibility
Dude, "Conservatism" describes a political ideology.

Ideology *is* monolithic thinking.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Here's an interesting questionnaire, put out by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press:

http://typology.people-press.org/typology/

Hey! Guess what? I'm a liberal. (Who'dathunkit?)

Best wishes,
Jerry
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

s1m0n wrote:
Still don't get it, or you just being cute? Ascribing monolithic thinking to any group to that degree of pejorative characteristics undermines your credibility
Dude, "Conservatism" describes a political ideology.

Ideology *is* monolithic thinking.
I'm with Weeks on this one. Too much kneejerk stereotyping, ad hominum dirt throwing with no useful information exchanged.

Simon, JGilder, please go stand in the corner with Walden and Lorenzo.

Best wishes,
Jerry
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Yeah, c'mon, Si, having an ideology that can be generally described is one thing. Saying an entire group within it are living in a state of untruth is throwing Liberacrap. Nyuk.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

The Weekenders wrote:Yeah, c'mon, Si, having an ideology that can be generally described is one thing. Saying an entire group within it are living in a state of untruth is throwing Liberacrap. Nyuk.
Did you forget to take your medication or something? Lighten up -- it was a wize crack. I guess it struck a raw nerve with you though huh? Probably because there is a certain amount of truth to it -- but it was never to be taken as seriously as you have.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Jerry Freeman wrote: Simon, JGilder, please go stand in the corner with Walden and Lorenzo.
What'd I do, besides be misinterpreted?
Reasonable person
Walden
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

The Weekenders wrote:Damn, I let my subscription to the Tehran Times lapse and missed that valuable piece of true fact...
Now this is exactly the sort of pompous arrogance Americans are infamous for. No other country can possibly have anything legitimate like a newspaper of course (like we do). The US mainstream press is propaganda for the most part, as demonstrated over and over, and you're now dismissing the Tehran Times as untrue probably because it’s from one of Bush’s “Axis of Evil” countries. If your news sources weren't so limited you might realize that there are newspapers and media beyond the US borders that are capable of being everything the US press is or isn't.

My point in posting out the article is that it was an example of how closely the US is being monitored regarding the possible planting of WMDs in Iraq. Whether it was true or not had nothing to do with the point, but that doesn’t automatically mean it wasn’t true… unless you happen to be a Conservative of course.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Now look what you've done, you've united the Democrats and Republicans on Iraq.
US Senate unanimously approves new Iraq war funds
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Walden wrote:
Jerry Freeman wrote: Simon, JGilder, please go stand in the corner with Walden and Lorenzo.
What'd I do, besides be misinterpreted?
OK, Walden.

You can come out, now.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

hooray Image
Reasonable person
Walden
Denny

Post by Denny »

Jeff Stallard wrote:Really people, those 88 congresspeople are just covering their own butts.
These are butts that are better covered...
Antaine wrote:I thought the first rule of politics was, "never get caught in bed with a dead girl or a live boy"
Wasn't that France... or Greece? I thought that we were a bit Puritanical for that sort of thing!
s1m0n wrote:Dude,
Dude? s1m0n, come on... its 2005 already.
Jerry Freeman wrote:Simon, JGilder, please go stand in the corner
with Walden and Lorenzo.
Jerry, :D :o interesting visual!

Denny
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Denny wrote:
Jerry Freeman wrote:Simon, JGilder, please go stand in the corner
with Walden and Lorenzo.
Jerry, interesting visual!
I enjoyed the image. But Walden had been there long enough, so I let him out. Now it's just Simon, JGilder and Lorenzo.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I apologize for breaking up your poker game. Can you play three handed?

Best wishes,
Jerry