Stolen Instruments: How to Possibly Prevent It

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

:lol: :lol: Well, if you have any traumatic experiences to share, I'm sure we'd be more than happy to listen. But please, include the little details, they are very important.
rama
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

we could start a new ot thread - on trauma, gossip, bashing naughty people, or whatever you prefer, do you think that might better?

personally, i cannot feel good about posting personal traumatic events unrelated to brazenkaines misfortune in this thread. it seems unfair to me , somehow minimize his loss. i prefer to not distract the focus. but that is just me. certainly continue on if you prefer. don't let me sway you. you go girls! i can catch up with you later. banish misfortune.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

rama wrote:personally, i cannot feel good about posting personal traumatic events unrelated to brazenkaines misfortune in this thread. .
What misfortune? His original post at the top doesn't mention a misfortune. He's just discussing keeping instruments safe.

Just for comparison's sake, let's look at your contribution to the thread. Surely you would have posted constructive advice and sympathy.
rama wrote:
cocusflute wrote:I have a friend who plays a bodhran. He left it in his car in NYC even though I thought he was crazy. In the morning when we came back to the car a window was smashed and two more bodhrans were in the back seat.
there ought to be a law against that - it's ruthless. hope you buddy is ok.

Nope, nothing constructive there. You posted a joke in response to a joke. Your next post after that is another joke, albeit a nonsensical one.

And now you're coming in to complain about others sullying the dignity of the occasion?

A case of the pot calling the kettle black?

I'm not seeing any "traumatic events," either. That's giving them far more credit than they are due.

This whole thread has been talking about keeping our beloved possessions safe. It has pretty much remained on that topic, except that it went into a discussion of women's differing attitudes and practices in that respect.

And, you know, looking at your response to that, in which you are ridiculing the concept of women and purses rather than the actual content of the posts, and looking at C&F'ers general response to a number of other threads, I'm wondering if the problem is with the fact that it's women posting. Interesting. I initially pegged it as a problem with newbies posting, or as a problem with just me posting (unbelievable, I know!), but it might be something else. Hmmm. Interesting.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

keyedup wrote:Cynth Wrote: "I just felt that the tone of this thread was invoking more anxiety that was non-productive"
Cynth wrote:keyedup---:lol: :lol: I'm not the one that wrote that. I am ultra-paranoid, I swear. The person quoted me in that post, but they wrote the part you copied here. I'm the one who always puts her leg through her rucksack strap. I feel there is no safe place. I feel one's own home is not safe. Really. You can check my other posts on this thread. I firmly believe you can never be too anxious. :)

Yah, that quote was probably me on the second page.

I guess that other than RECORDING the number, make, model, and description for immediate retrieval, there is little else than what has been said on the forum other than placing an RFID tag in the cork of the flute, an ONSTAR location device into the case, and having the flute made from pink Derlin so that no one will steal it (although that wouldn’t be a bad idea for the case).

Even Museums have paintings stolen, I guess to me, it all comes down to a usability, and costs Vs. benefits. I was just wondering to what point it was worth doing that something extra to secure possessions.

To me it seems like holding onto a bar of soap. After a certain point a tight grip is more likely to make the bar go flying out of your hand, rather than be secure. I know people that own the club for their car and are very possessive about their car and do not want it to be stolen. They are also very aggressive drivers that are more likely to get their car totaled by tailgating someone to teach them a lesson for cutting them off and taking their space on the road and endangering their car.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

As a former bobby on the beat over here in Blighty I can heartily recommend what we in uniform called the 'stick pocket'.

Tis a long thin pocket, sewn down the inside leg of the uniform trousers, into which our trusty truncheons slipped and fit quite nicely. (Uhm, think of a fabric umbrella-sleeve sewn inside your pocket and dangling down your leg).

Thus were the truncheons kept secure, but completely out of sight of the beloved public we were entrusted to protect (who might otherwise be alarmed at the sight of bloody great truncheons dangling off our belts).

Should fit a D flute (assembled) quite nicely I reckon, and it wouldn't take much to sew one up. It goes inside your normal trouser pocket, by the way. Not recommended for those inclined to wear skin-tight jeans or lycra, though.

Oh and make sure it goes on the outside of your leg, otherwise sitting down might make yer eyes water.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

GaryKelly wrote:As a former bobby on the beat over here in Blighty I can heartily recommend what we in uniform called the 'stick pocket'. ...
... "Is that a flute in your pocket, or ..."

:lol:
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

Peggy wrote:
rama wrote:personally, i cannot feel good about posting personal traumatic events unrelated to brazenkaines misfortune in this thread. .
What misfortune? His original post at the top doesn't mention a misfortune. He's just discussing keeping instruments safe.
you're correct peggy - i had in mind spittles stolen flute and brazenkaines crushed flute, silly me. it was poorly written by me. thanks for clearing that up. truth be told, i was too lazy to edit my original mistake. i tend to do that.
Peggy wrote: Just for comparison's sake, let's look at your contribution to the thread. Surely you would have posted constructive advice and sympathy.
rama wrote:
cocusflute wrote:I have a friend who plays a bodhran. He left it in his car in NYC even though I thought he was crazy. In the morning when we came back to the car a window was smashed and two more bodhrans were in the back seat.
there ought to be a law against that - it's ruthless. hope you buddy is ok.
pretty good joke eh? did you laugh peggy?

there really ought to be a law against ruthless acts involving instruments and musicians.

peggy, true constructive advice from me? lighten up dear gurl
peggy wrote: And now you're coming in to complain about others sullying the dignity of the occasion?

A case of the pot calling the kettle black?

I'm not seeing any "traumatic events," either. That's giving them far more credit than they are due.

This whole thread has been talking about keeping our beloved possessions safe. It has pretty much remained on that topic, except that it went into a discussion of women's differing attitudes and practices in that respect.
cynth had asked me to share something traumatic, peggy. i am simply stating personally i wouldn't feel good about it, but don't let that stop you.
no complaint from me.
Peggy wrote: and, you know, looking at your response to that, in which you are ridiculing the concept of women and purses rather than the actual content of the posts,

if anyone grabbed my pocketbook, i'd bash her....no ridicule, just relating, hypothetically speaking, to having pocketbooks grabbed by the opposite sex and hitting them. men as well as women can be naughty. a little bonding never hurt a mixed group.
peggy wrote: and looking at C&F'ers general response to a number of other threads, I'm wondering if the problem is with the fact that it's women posting. Interesting. I initially pegged it as a problem with newbies posting, or as a problem with just me posting (unbelievable, I know!), but it might be something else. Hmmm. Interesting.

it's always something else peggy, isn't it?

anything else i can assist you with today?
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

rama wrote: edit: he stole the wrong musician, if a muscian was to be stolen, people were hoping it was...
Too easy.....

B*****n player.

Now, bend over so I can spank you with my purse....

M
rama

Post by rama »

very naughty, i like that!

i'm talking about removing the b***** player of course.

edit: you are kind mary, i was actually alluding to a different musician that ought of been stolen
Last edited by rama on Tue May 10, 2005 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Tsk, tsk. I would have thought spankings were a bit off topic. :really: :lol:
rama

Post by rama »

right you are cynth, we can always start a new ot thread: leather lace and spankings.... think there is enough interest?
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

You never know.
eilam

Post by eilam »

hey Rama - I'm late getting into this thread, and it's way too long for me, but the joke was great! I'm surprised the guy was not cursed with an accordion as well!
eilam.
rama

Post by rama »

eilam wrote:hey Rama - I'm late getting into this thread, and it's way too long for me, but the joke was great! I'm surprised the guy was not cursed with an accordion as well!
eilam.
it was an accordian player who did it!
the perpetrator was seen running away from the scene, accordian strapped to their chest. figures.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

An accordion player can run and hurl bodhrans at the same time? That's rather advanced for one of those sorts, innit? :twisted:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.