Microphone problems

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
bjs
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Microphone problems

Post by bjs »

I have a Sony stereo mic which is fine for recording on computer and mini disc. Naively I thought I coud plug it into the aux socket on my stereo, strap it to the whistle and have amplified whistle which could be heard above my wife's drum kit. It doesn't work. No sound comes out. Why?

So looks like I have to buy another mic for this purpose. Any suggestions? I don't want to spend a fortune.

There are several advertised on Maplin here http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?Cri ... ne&doy=5m5

Brian
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: Microphone problems

Post by colomon »

bjs wrote:I have a Sony stereo mic which is fine for recording on computer and mini disc. Naively I thought I coud plug it into the aux socket on my stereo, strap it to the whistle and have amplified whistle which could be heard above my wife's drum kit. It doesn't work. No sound comes out. Why?
It's because the mic is outputing a signal at mic level, and the aux socket wants it at line level. You need to find some way to boost the mic signal to reach line level or (probably more sensibly) find something that expects to have a mic plugged into it.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
lesl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

I think you want a mic preamp. explained here:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/catalog-mic-preamps1.htm
and then a little mixer to go with it probably.

Also the 'powered monitor' speakers often have a mic jack.

You might get one of those little speaker-amps for guitars if it has a
socket labelled "mic". Sometimes you can get a used one in a music store.
If you're not overly concerned about sound quality but just want louder,
that might work in a pinch.

You might ask your drummer wife to play with brushes or with those big
sticks which look like giant cotton buds, I think they are for timpani.
http://www.timpanisticks.com/index.html
My fiddler husband's a drummer too. Good luck! - Lesl
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Plug the mic into the mini-disc, then take the output from the mini-disc to the aux input of the stereo. That should do it (the mini-disc will serve as a pre-amp).
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

I think you should be more practical about this...

Get your wife one of thesethen you can turn her down. :lol:
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

bjs

Post by bjs »

Plug the mic into the mini-disc, then take the output from the mini-disc to the aux input of the stereo. That should do it (the mini-disc will serve as a pre-amp).

That sounds good but it doesn't work - maybe if I read the manual I can find a setting though. As it is when I turn it on it starts to playback something. If I stop playback it quickly shuts down. I find the mini disc menus the most unintuitive yet. Ah I probably have to put it in record mode - can always delete the recording afterwards. Yes that works but not very well. I need the mike close to the windway where it picks up wind noises.

Brian
John S

Post by John S »

Hi bjs, I use the Maplin Tie Clip Mic bellow.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Mod ... 0&doy=10m5
They're good value for money and robust.
What I do is remove the plastic housing that surrounds the Mic module (discarding the top bit and sliding the bottom bit down the wire out of the way) and use a piece of the heat shrink rubber tubing they sell
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Mod ... 1&doy=10m5
to keep the mic and cable together.
Position the Mic (I use Bluetac) above the wind way looking down in the direction of the fipple.

TTFN

John S
bjs

Post by bjs »

Hi bjs, I use the Maplin Tie Clip Mic bellow.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Mod ... 0&doy=10m5
They're good value for money and robust.
What I do is remove the plastic housing that surrounds the Mic module (discarding the top bit and sliding the bottom bit down the wire out of the way) and use a piece of the heat shrink rubber tubing they sell
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Mod ... 1&doy=10m5
to keep the mic and cable together.
Position the Mic (I use Bluetac) above the wind way looking down in the direction of the fipple.
Thanks John. That sounds good. I can then plug into the stereo's aux input can I? Looking at it, it seems I would need another cable adapter. That plug thing is a preamp?

Brian
John S

Post by John S »

Hi Brian, the plug bit contains a battery to power the electret mic but no pre-amp so it's a mic level output.
Maplin do some Mic pre-amps.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Mod ... 1&doy=12m5
The top one is very expensive for what it does, I'd go for the bottom Kit which is easy to assemble if you can solder.
You could get someone else to assemble it if you haven’t got the skills.
You'd have to put it in a box with a battery and sockets (all available from Maplin) but for around £10 total cost you'd have what you need.

John S
JimmyCarbomb

Post by JimmyCarbomb »

If you're just "dorking around" then you can head to your local WalMart and get one of the $29 amps in the music section. Just plug the mic into it and set the thing for your preferences. It's inexpensive, easy, and will do the trick. You MAY need to get an adapter to have the mic plug enlarged.
Barleyjuice Website
Member of the Tartan Authority
Member of Noraid
Certified Kiltmaker
bjs

Post by bjs »

I don't believe we have Walmart yet but I found this somewhere:

Spreading across the globe like a nasty skin condition, Wal-Mart - the worlds largest and most unpleasant retailer - now threatens to infect towns and communities around the UK.
JimmyCarbomb

Post by JimmyCarbomb »

bjs wrote:I don't believe we have Walmart yet but I found this somewhere:
Shoot. I was sure that they had already landed their "Blue Vested Invasion" over into the UK. It may be possible to hit eBay and search for a "First Act" amplifier. They're only around $30 USD here. If you're not having any luck, I can look in my stock here at home to see if I have another one (which I usually do).
Barleyjuice Website
Member of the Tartan Authority
Member of Noraid
Certified Kiltmaker
bjs

Post by bjs »

Thanks Jimmy I might try ebay. meanwhile I went to

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Mod ... 1&doy=12m5
The top one is very expensive for what it does, I'd go for the bottom Kit which is easy to assemble if you can solder.
You could get someone else to assemble it if you haven’t got the skills.
You'd have to put it in a box with a battery and sockets (all available from Maplin) but for around £10 total cost you'd have what you need.
I didn't see a top and bottom kit but the one there was cheap enough. next stop get some solder. I have a soldering iron.

Brian[/quote]
Eliezer

other sources

Post by Eliezer »

Radio Snack ... I mean Radio Shack has amplified speakers and mic pre-amps and a good cheap electret mic which is tiny enough to clip on to your whistle. And the adapter for different sized mic plugs.

Save your good mic for your MD.

Pignose makes an excellent amp/speaker that works with a mic, and it's battery-powered. Crate makes a great plug-in amp/speaker.

On the other hand, why not ask your wife to play more quietly, or switch to hand percussion?
"Talk cannot cook rice." - Charlie Chan
bjs

Post by bjs »

I can record using the Sony mic clipped under my chin. Clipped on the whistle it picks up too much breath. Now my question. I just discovered that there is a little space inside the mic where a button battery should go, but it works well without it. So if I get a battery what difference am I likely to find?

BTW just sent my recording effort (Emma's Jig) to clips and snips.

Brian Sanderson