US tourism ‘losing billions because of image’

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

feadogin wrote:I think the author of this thread was looking for responses from people outside the U.S. Obviously as Americans we can't reliably comment on how non-Americans feel about our country, or on the reasons that foreign tourists are not coming. I'd like to hear their reasons from them, not from Americans.
Anyone? Anyone?

J.
I have a recurring nightmare in which I go to America and get trapped in an elevator with jgilder and IRtrad....then the lights go out :o

Slan,
D. :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Caj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: US tourism ‘losing billions because of image’

Post by Caj »

IRTradRU? wrote: And the projections are exactly the point - what were they, and why not include that information?
People who report the day's financial news usually don't provide citations to satisfy people who suspect the paper might be wrong or lying. If Intel's Q3 revenue does not meet expectations, they'll just tell you. They won't provide you with any means to independently verify this.

I don't think it is at all unusual for the paper to simply tell me the NASDAQ closed down 10 points or that it rained yesterday, without showing their work in case I suspect malfeasance at the newspaper.
And given that, how does the reporter come to the conclusion that it must be "bad image" and not just soft economic conditions?
This is something I never liked about financial news: people are always quick to slap an "obvious" cause on any number. If stocks go down, they'll tell you it's because of Intel's announcement or IBM's layoffs or anything else they read about that happened that day. But how do they know that's the cause?

I think the reduced tourism revenue is less about "image" and more about the insane visa problems that people encounter coming to the US.

Caj
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

There are few non-Americans who will post to these threads any more, I'm afraid. In the past there have been instances of some folks feeling they were being pelted with Americrap if they dared to post anything seen as critical of the U.S. and its policies.

Susan
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

dubhlinn wrote: I have a recurring nightmare in which I go to America and get trapped in an elevator with jgilder and IRtrad....then the lights go out :o

Slan,
If you could get them to stop arguing you might hear some nice tunes from Jack Gilder. :)

J.
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

susnfx wrote:There are few non-Americans who will post to these threads any more, I'm afraid. In the past there have been instances of some folks feeling they were being pelted with Americrap if they dared to post anything seen as critical of the U.S. and its policies.

Susan
Hmmm...Maybe that's why I hardly ever read these threads....
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

Caj wrote:This is something I never liked about financial news: people are always quick to slap an "obvious" cause on any number. If stocks go down, they'll tell you it's because of Intel's announcement or IBM's layoffs or anything else they read about that happened that day. But how do they know that's the cause?
A brother-in-law works as a bond trader in Chicago. He tells me that on the slow trading days, or even on busy days at the local watering hole that he & his fellow traders get good laughs (therapeutic?) from reading some of the reasons given for the day's results - either up or down.
Caj wrote:I think the reduced tourism revenue is less about "image" and more about the insane visa problems that people encounter coming to the US.
For obvious reason, I have no personal experience from this - are they that bureaucratic? I've heard about it, but that's about it.
I do recall reading a few years' back about a small group of Irish women who were arrested and immediately deported back to Ireland while waiting for a train to take them back to Boston from Chicago... it made me wonder why we can't do the same for all the illegal aliens (9,000,000 + ?) in country, if they're able to find a dozen Irish folks.

It's all upside down.
IRTradRU?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Re: US tourism ‘losing billions because of image&a

Post by Walden »

IRTradRU? wrote: I do recall reading a few years' back about a small group of Irish women who were arrested and immediately deported back to Ireland while waiting for a train to take them back to Boston from Chicago... it made me wonder why we can't do the same for all the illegal aliens (9,000,000 + ?) in country, if they're able to find a dozen Irish folks.
Because we don't want to destroy Mexico.
Reasonable person
Walden
Caj

Post by Caj »

IRTradRU? wrote: And given that, how does the reporter come to the conclusion that it must be "bad image" and not just soft economic conditions?
The reporter doesn't come to that conclusion. He is quoting the CEO of the TIAA, who has come to that conclusion. And he is reporting numbers as provided by the industry.

Not that the TIAA is omniscient (and the industry will always have its own spin on what its problems are.) but with all due respect, I think you are trying to see this news story as a bunch of opinions written by the reporter himself, and this is causing you to miss key sentences in the article (reproduced in the first post.)

Caj
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Well, I am an American but I have gotten the perspective of a French woman who works with me. Of course, I'm sure there are many explanations for the skewed views of Americans, particularly in Europe. But she came home from a visit to France with some interesting observations.

This was during the Terry Schiavo episode. She said that in France, the media is much less free than it is here, and people don't express their views as readily to a TV camera because they can be put in prison for inciting unrest. So, when they see extreme opinions being delivered to French TV reporters in Florida, they think that everything that is said is officially sanctioned by the U.S. government. This is in fact not usually the case, as all opinions are expressed here, and the most extreme ones are the most likely to catch air time, because they are the most sensationalistic. Americans generally realize this, but the French don't. So, they think Americans are a bunch of whackos, and that our government supports it. In addition to that, in the Schiavo case (which I'm not trying to start a debate about, but am just citing an example), the French couldn't understand why anyone would question witholding life support. It was never broadcast that this was simply witholding food, and when my friend told her friends this, they then understood the whole debate more clearly. Never was this mentioned in the media, what all the ruckus was about. The point being, anyways, that she feels that the French media will report on American events in a way that invariably is designed to make Americans look unreasonable or crazy, this being just one example.

Anyways, I thought this was an interesting observation, and one I hadn't heard before. Of course, this doesn't really reflect on European opposition to the war on Iraq or other large issues like that, but more points to a pattern of media behavior independent of world events, at least in France. I also have to say that this young woman is an ardent war protestor, etc. but she has come to love the American people since coming to live here.

Robin
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

feadogin wrote:
dubhlinn wrote: I have a recurring nightmare in which I go to America and get trapped in an elevator with jgilder and IRtrad....then the lights go out :o

Slan,
If you could get them to stop arguing you might hear some nice tunes from Jack Gilder. :)

J.
I have listened to Jack and the band on their website and he is a fine player - no doubt about that.
While I'm here I might as well 'fess up and admit that I very much agree with everything he posts.
Now they'll never let me in... :lol: :lol:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

For one, there is nothing that draws me to the US. Not particularly fond of big cities, Canada has enough natural wonders to satisfy my and I fin US history boring.

However, if I did feel the need to go, stories of Canadian cars getting keyed, Canadians being beaten by American hockey fans and a general hostility towards us in post-9/11 America, reported my Canadian media quite abit, would give me second thoughts.
missy

Post by missy »

on the moor wrote:
"However, if I did feel the need to go, stories of Canadian cars getting keyed, Canadians being beaten by American hockey fans and a general hostility towards us in post-9/11 America, reported my Canadian media quite abit, would give me second thoughts."

Well, I can't tell you anything about the "keying" - but we only have a farm team, lower than the IHL, so you'd be safe in Cincinnati!
Seriously, I have absolutely NO feel that someone here (here being southwestern Ohio) would meet with hostility (we reserve that for our own City Council Members). Now, getting through our airport IS a problem, but it's that way for us "natives" too. Heck - we put it in another STATE even (it's in Northern Kentucky).

The "bad" media stuff has been going on for quite a while, I bet. Back in 1998 we had a family from Japan living next door for a year (he worked for Mitsubiti and had also worked in England for a year). He and his wife were convinced that every single American carried a gun at all times, and I don't think they ever quite understood the concept of individual ownership of land - they thought the government owned all the land you could see when driving down the highways, or things like amusement parks, etc. He was also "taught" that he must give me a present anytime I did something nice for him - which was great for ME, but I could only eat so many boxes of chocolates!

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Well Canadians are a little more familiar with Americans than the Japanese I would hope. I've only really noticed these reports since after Canada refused to go to Iraq, seems like it is a pretty new thing this hatred of Canada (how anyone could have the time to hate Canada is beyond me, you have to be pretty miserable, "bloody Belgians..."). Anyways, the end result is that I have a feeling that I would not be welcomed anywhere other than the most Liberal of the American states.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

OnTheMoor wrote:Well Canadians are a little more familiar with Americans than the Japanese I would hope. I've only really noticed these reports since after Canada refused to go to Iraq, seems like it is a pretty new thing this hatred of Canada (how anyone could have the time to hate Canada is beyond me, you have to be pretty miserable, "bloody Belgians..."). Anyways, the end result is that I have a feeling that I would not be welcomed anywhere other than the most Liberal of the American states.
I, for one, do not harbor ill-will... ahem... harbour... toward Canadians. The Canadians I know around here seem to have suffered no special ill-treatment because of their nationality. Nevertheless I know how awkward it is to feel unwelcome in a country. I once traveled across Oklahoma in a car with a Texas inspection sticker.
Reasonable person
Walden
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Walden wrote:...Nevertheless I know how awkward it is to feel unwelcome in a country. I once traveled across Oklahoma in a car with a Texas inspection sticker.
:D
Spittin wrote:This was during the Terry Schiavo episode. She said that in France, the media is much less free than it is here, and people don't express their views as readily to a TV camera because they can be put in prison for inciting unrest. So, when they see extreme opinions being delivered to French TV reporters in Florida, they think that everything that is said is officially sanctioned by the U.S. government. This is in fact not usually the case, as all opinions are expressed here, and the most extreme ones are the most likely to catch air time, because they are the most sensationalistic. Americans generally realize this, but the French don't. So, they think Americans are a bunch of whackos, and that our government supports it. In addition to that, in the Schiavo case (which I'm not trying to start a debate about, but am just citing an example), the French couldn't understand why anyone would question witholding life support. It was never broadcast that this was simply witholding food, and when my friend told her friends this, they then understood the whole debate more clearly. Never was this mentioned in the media, what all the ruckus was about. The point being, anyways, that she feels that the French media will report on American events in a way that invariably is designed to make Americans look unreasonable or crazy, this being just one example.

I am not so sure about people being put away in France for inciting unrest that easily. But it is my impression also that the European media take particular delight in painting America as wacky, backwards, and dangerous (it doesn't help, of course, that so much in America is zany and easy to poke fun at). That sort of reporting bugs me to no end, and I consider it irresponsible.
/Bloomfield