Anyone interested in colorful whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Anyone interested in colorful whistles?

Post by brewerpaul »

I made a Yellowheart whistle for a board member who soon afterwards asked me if I could make him a yellow Delrin whistle: seems he has a Case knife with a yellow Delrin handle and thought this material would make a cool whistle. I tried searching for the material with no luck, but this fellow was more persistent. He found a supplier who carries:
RED, ORANGE, YELLOW, GREEN, BLUE, VIOLET, BLACK, WHITE & NATURAL (tannish, I think) acetal plastic, which is generic for Delrin.

I have an inquiry out to these people and hopefully they won't require huge minimum orders. I can see green/white whistles for NY Jets fans, blue/orange for Syracuse alumni and fans, all green for dyed in the wool Irishpeople, etc.

Is this something that people might seriously be interested in?

This same company also does CNC machining and I've asked for an estimate on making my normal metal fittings in black acetal. I made one whistle in birdseye maple with "handmade" black fittings and it was quite striking in a sort of Japanese way. Other light colored woods would look good this way too.
Last edited by brewerpaul on Sun May 08, 2005 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

Shewt, Paul, why don't you simply offer a rainbow set - mix and match heads and bodies if you want - for a reduced price!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
billw

Heyyyyyyy!!!

Post by billw »

Hey, Paul, nobody likes colored whistles! You should know that by now!

(hey, do they make tubing in the colors??)

:D
Bill Whedon
Ye Olde Whistlesmith Saying:
A whistle without a fipple, is just a piece of leaky pipe!

Click the WWW and come have some fun with poems and music and now BOOKS! and check out the preeeety whistles and the T-shirts with attitude! :D
IrishLass

Post by IrishLass »

I think having a colored whistle would be really cool! (Provided that the price was right). :thumbsup:
"Sing to the Lord a new song" Psalm 149:1
jsluder

Re: Anyone interested in colorful whistles?

Post by jsluder »

brewerpaul wrote:Is this something that people might seriously be interested in?
Well, Paul, if you had been offering those colors when I ordered my Delrin whistle last year, I probably would've ordered it in green (since that's my favorite color), depending on the shade.

Cheers,
John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I think that CLEAR would be a good color. Then we might be able to solve C&F's unsolved Mystery #1:

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/mysteries/mysteries.htm
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Who doesn't like a bit of color now and then?

It is a good idea I hope it goes over well. I know M & E uses colored Derlin for some of his whistles.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

IDAwHOa wrote:I think that CLEAR would be a good color. Then we might be able to solve C&F's unsolved Mystery #1:

I dunno. If you can't tell condensation from drool when it's flung onto a bodhran, how will you be able to tell them apart inside the whistle? :-?

Clear would be cool if it could be frosted, though.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
tubafor

Post by tubafor »

I'd be up for a purple one... Of course, if you ask Daniel Bingamon, he'll tell you all about my obsession with purple whistles... Used to be a picture on his site of one of his Basswhistles in purple - which is now in my studio. :)

Purple delrin? Honey? It's time to beef up the savings account again!
"Vocatus, atque non vocatus, Deus aderit..."
------------------------------------------
Cal Olson
Whistles, Windsynth and other toys...
Hear samples from my CD "Angelica's Waltz" at:
www.myspace.com/praisewhistler
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

IDAwHOa wrote:I think that CLEAR would be a good color. Then we might be able to solve C&F's unsolved Mystery #1:

That one's solvable if you get yerself a clear plastic r*c*rd*r.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Sounds dandy!

I think the challenge will be material inventory cost vs. price to the consumer.

Sorry to get all business like on you.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

dfernandez77 wrote:Sounds dandy!
I think the challenge will be material inventory cost vs. price to the consumer.
Sorry to get all business like on you.
Business is business, alas.
I talked to the plastics supplier today. This stuff costs $6.50 per foot, which is on a par with some of the wood I use. Of course Delrin would be much less prone to splitting than a costly piece of Snakewood or Pink Ivory.
The bad news is that I can't just buy a foot of each color I want. If they have it in stock, I can get a four footer. Special orders are a minimum of EIGHT FEET!
I'd love to try this if I got enough people interested in any given color-- not necessarily enough to use up an entire piece, but at least most of it...
If anyone is seriously interested in a particular color, please e-mail me and I'll keep a tally and see if I get enough interest to make it worth the expense.
Got wood?
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

brewerpaul wrote:This stuff costs $6.50 per foot...
Yikes! :o Is that the price for 5/8" diameter?
If so, that's like 3X the price of black!
The minimum order requirement I can kind of understand, but I don't see how they can justify such a price increase for nothing more than a different color of the exact same material.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

raindog1970 wrote:
brewerpaul wrote:This stuff costs $6.50 per foot...
Yikes! :o Is that the price for 5/8" diameter?
If so, that's like 3X the price of black!
The minimum order requirement I can kind of understand, but I don't see how they can justify such a price increase for nothing more than a different color of the exact same material.
That's 1", which is the smallest they carry. Part of the cost is the fact that it's "medical grade", so if you need to perform a blood transfusion with your whistle, this is the stuff to use...
Got wood?
slowair

Post by slowair »

Is there a way to get samples of the colors?

Mike