Spelling of "embouchure"

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
phcook
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by phcook »

Well, well, well

Embouchure is the right spelling. But the most interesting point would be about the pronunciation of that word by English-speaking people!

Someone noticed that the word "connoisseur" is slightly different from the French word "connaisseur"; that's because until 19th century, the French word was "connoisseur", but was pronounced "connaisseur", and the spelling was then corrected. But the word had already migrated to English language.

Thanks to all of you for being so much interested by our language!

Best wishes.
Breizh soner
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

Just for fun I looked in my french-english Oxford dictionnary.

For example in french we have a word like "obéissance", in english: obedience, but the french word "obédience" means persuasion in english. And obeisance in english is translated by a completely different word in french ("hommage" or "révérence")...

Sometimes words come back to french:
"humeur" in french becomes "humour" in english with a completely english sense and comes back to France as "humour". Now we have two words in french: "humeur" and "humour"...

During the french occupation of England, a lot a of words came to english... And evolved. At that time, the french laguage was split in several dialectal forms. A person from the south could not understand another from the north.

The first french grammar books were written in England. This is a fact most french people forget, just like the battle of Azincourt :)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Matt_Paris wrote:The first french grammar books were written in England. This is a fact most french people forget, just like the battle of Azincourt :)
Gasp! Surely they remember Crécy though? And Poitiers? I mean, it was The Hundred Years war. Henry V and all that. Sigh. No sense of history, you lot. Nice cuisine though. And wine.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

Several words are erased from our memory when we are young. Azincourt is one of them. Also Trafalgar, Waterloo...

But we have oenology lessons in nursery school.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

When we were on a trip to Maine recently, we had fun looking at all the vanity plates (car license plates that spell a word or phrase...people have to pay extra for them. They're against the law in Québec except for ham radio operators, so we don't see them here). Anyway our favorite one was someone who was obviously named Casey and who played the piano. His license plate was:

PIANO KC

Which made us all laugh because in French that would be pronounced "piano cassé" or "broken piano," which is not quite the message he intended!
tommyk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tommyk »

Ah, you say "embouchure", I say (or rather the "leader" currently in power in the United States says) "nucular".
- Tommy Kochel

The Knotwork Band

www.theknotworkband.com
FaceBook: The Knotwork Band
theknotworkband@gmail.com
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

So "embosure" is right then, write?

Tom
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

tommyk wrote:(or rather the "leader" currently in power in the United States says) "nucular".
I just can't understand why one of his advisors doesn't correct him on that. It is just ridiculous!!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cynth wrote:
tommyk wrote:(or rather the "leader" currently in power in the United States says) "nucular".
I just can't understand why one of his advisors doesn't correct him on that. It is just ridiculous!!
Why, that shows us he's just plain everyday folk. That's a good thing, right? :wink:

Ombashoor.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

It don't give me a whole lot a confidence. :lol:
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Blackbeer wrote:So "embosure" is right then, write?

Tom
Sertanly!
Chang He

Post by Chang He »

susnfx wrote:
Blackbeer wrote:So "embosure" is right then, write?

Tom
Sertanly!
deaphenitlee
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

bradhurley wrote:.......
PIANO KC

Which made us all laugh because in French that would be pronounced "piano cassé" or "broken piano," which is not quite the message he intended!
And how would you know what was intended?
Maybe he was a soft hearted, heart broken Italian? Hmm?
:wink:
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Err, how does one pronounce it?
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Pronounce what, "embouchure"? Everyone I know says like "AHM-ba-shur," but then we are English-speaking people. Not sure if that's how it's supposed to be pronounced or not.