So Where to Begin?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
SilverStrand
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

So Where to Begin?

Post by SilverStrand »

I just bought an irish flute...a Dixon Pvc nontunable. I have played the whistle for almost 3 years so the fingering shouldn't be AS difficult as it was when I started on the whistle. However, when I put my fingers on the holes and hold the flute the way it is supposed to be held, my left wrist immediately aches. Is that normal?

As for blowing and making sound from the flute how do you do so?

Basically, where can I find a good online tutorial on all these things?

Thank you! :)

~Kerry
"Block out the Sun and Pack up the Sky"
Chang He

Post by Chang He »

Lots of places:
http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Rocksto_on_ ... flute.html
http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Learning.html
http://www.firescribble.net/flute/learning.html

I know there are others, but those were easiest to find in my bookmarks, and I'm off to dinner. Best of luck.
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Rob Greenways Irish Flute Page
http://www.geocities.com/feadanach/
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Wrist Pain- Your left wrist should remain straight but relaxed. What grip are you using? If using pipers' grip your fingers should remain straight and relaxed and move from the base knuckle. If using "traditional" grip you should bend your fingers from the next joint up. You may find it a bit more comfortable to turn your forearm to put your hand at about 45° to the flute.

Getting a Sound- Tighten the corners of your mouth only tight enough so that when you blow a rice sized stream of air escapes from the middle section of your lips. You don't need to blow much harder than on whistle. It's the compression of air from your embouchure that makes the biggest difference.

I second the links to Brad Hurley's and Rob Greenway's pages. There's some good info on Michael Cronnolly's page too.

Cheers,
Aaron
SilverStrand

Post by SilverStrand »

I am getting better at creating the sound but when I try and create a E and D all I get is air...
SilverStrand

Post by SilverStrand »

Nevermind! I just did it! Whahoo!

Thanks!
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Well done!

Keep in mind that as you go lower in pitch, you should direct your air jet lower down, and as you go higher, it must come up closer to just below the edge on the far side of the hole. Pout more to reduce jet length in the second octave.

Alternate high notes and low notes - you should be able to feel the jet rising for the upper notes and being directed downwards for the lower ones.

Terry
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Well said Terry.

I think by "pouting" Terry might mean to stick your lower lip out a bit for that second octave. Doing so will make the higher notes much easier and sweeter to hit.

Doc

BTW way Terry if that's not what you meant let me know. :)

Best for me not to put words in the mouth of someone that has forgotten more about flutes than I'll ever know. :wink:
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I don't even think about all the stuff I do when I play. Just keep working at it eventually you will get it or you could ask questions here and get suggestions either way will work I chose the hard way.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Doc Jones wrote:Well said Terry.

I think by "pouting" Terry might mean to stick your lower lip out a bit for that second octave. Doing so will make the higher notes much easier and sweeter to hit.

Doc

Best for me not to put words in the mouth of someone that has forgotten more about flutes than I'll ever know. :wink:
I think by pout more he means sticking out -both- lips more. If you stick out only your
lower lip, you'll raise the jet up, because the relationship between upper and lower lip determines
the angle of the stream. Of course, what we're doing and what it -feels- like are not
always exactly the same, but I think pouting describes that shift rather well.
Denny

Post by Denny »

pouting... both lips.

This will increase the length of opening in the lips that the air goes through.

Blowing through a straw will sound a flute, blowing through a simliar size hole in a piece of paper will not.

How's that for a SWAG?
Denny
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Take your time. You know the flute tone that you want to produce. Experiment until you get it right. After that it will come automatically.

I worked for a long time trying to do circular breathing on a digeridoo. Then, one day I understood how to do it. Now it is easy.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

ChrisA wrote:
Doc Jones wrote:Well said Terry.

Doc

I think by pout more he means sticking out -both- lips more. If you stick out only your
lower lip, you'll raise the jet up, because the relationship between upper and lower lip determines
the angle of the stream. Of course, what we're doing and what it -feels- like are not
always exactly the same, but I think pouting describes that shift rather well.
Yup, you're right. They both do go out. I guess I only ever thought about the bottem one. The top one must have just been following along. Good clarification. :)

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Kerry -

As a fellow newbie (9 months for me), besides the online resources others have mentioned, I'd highly recommend Grey Larsen's "Essential Guide to Irish Flute and Tin Whistle" with its accompanying cds. As I'm sure more experienced players will testify, it's both a highly regarded tutorial and practically an encyclopedia on the flute & whistle. Of course, tutorials can't replace the one-on-one instruction of a teacher, but in my opinion they can certainly be a useful supplement to lessons, or can even be a decent alternative if there isn't a flute teacher where you live (or is there?).
good luck - glad you're enjoying the flute so far!

stephen

http://www.greylarsen.com/

p.s. madfortrad has a flute tutorial by Seamus Egan, though I haven't heard much about it. I have the whistle tutorial by Brian Finnegan, which I still use now and then.