Fipplarina!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JessieK
antispam: No

Fipplarina!

Post by JessieK »

Lately I have been playing a couple of pendant ocarinas. They are high-pitched and I really find them sweet. I have tried several times to make one and I finally got one that plays...I made it out of polymer clay in two steps. It looks rather like something one might flush down the toilet (I used brown polymer clay...why, I don't know). But it's sweet.

Anyway...to the subject at hand...

I got the idea of turning a whistle mouthpiece into a high-pitched ocarina. I took a tweaked (by me) black Feadog mouthpiece. It already had a guitar-pick ramp. I stood the mouthpiece up on a guitar pick and glued it with Jet Set jeweler's glue, which glues VERY FAST. I cut off the remainder and sanded it. So, it was a closed-off mouthpiece. I drilled 4 holes in comfortable (within reason) places and started tuning from the bottom up. I actually ended up with a high-pitched fipple ocarina with a strong tone and a full octave! It's in high, high, high G#.

:) :) :)
~JessieD
chattiekathy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

That sounds really neat Jessie, You should make a recording of it so we can hear it. A picture of it would be neat too. :)

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
Jennie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jennie »

When I start hearing people tell their instrument-making stories, I just _know_ this is not a place to venture. It would be like investing in a new sport. I can just imagine the investment in equipment, manuals, piles of raw materials... so, Jessie, it sounds really cool! :)

I'm impressed with all of you who not only make music, but make instruments. I am remaining a spectator in this sport, but a loyal fan!

Jennie
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

This instrument doesn't require a lot of equipment. You could drill the holes with a dremel tool (I used a jeweler's flex shaft) and some small bits. That's it. An inexpensive mouthpiecce, some Superglue and a guitar pick.

I'll take a picture. Not sure about the recording, because I've never done it on my Mac, but we'll see. I may not get to it today, as I have to go away (later today) for the weekend to a craft show.
~JessieD
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I used Sculpey Super Elastic Clay to make an Ocarina once. It makes the instrument squeezable and you can really bend the notes (and the instrument as well) by squeezing it.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D