Favorite PBS dramatic/comedic series

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Gary wrote:Handgrenade Rhees was the bird with the curly red hair. She's Welsh (well, with a name like Handgrenade she'd have to be).
Sigh. The work you put me to. :lol:

Angharad Rees

Note: The Scottish story I mentioned earlier was called Sunset Song and was based on a novel by Lewis Grassic Gibbons. It was aired in 1976, or maybe 1974 and '75. Anyway, long, long ago.
Charlene
antispam: No

Post by Charlene »

Cynth wrote:Oh, thank you Gary! I sure do recognize them---I had a bit of a thing for Ross Poldark. :lol: I'm going to look into some of those old shows.

I loved Fawlty Towers too. I think I thought we were just talking about Masterpiece Theater. Everything about Fawlty Towers was so perfect---the way his wife talked on the phone (I knooooow, oh, I knooooow, oh, I knooooow) and poor Manuel. I thought the food inspector one was funny---when the rat jumped out of the tin! And poor Basil----the irritation of it all!

The Prisoner--that was really a long time ago. I liked it alot. Was it Patrick McGoohan, or something like that? I think he was in a show called Secret Agent first and I liked that one quite a bit better.
Yes, Patrick McGoohan.

There's a web site for The Prisoner fan club - http://www.netreach.net/%7Esixofone/ The Village is actually a resort in Wales named Portmeirion. That's on my list of places to go someday.

~wanders off humming "secret agent man" ~
Charlene
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

IRTradRU? wrote:I always liked "Ballykissangel"... it was gone just as fast as it arrived, though.
I also liked this very much. I know there are several additional season of this show. Wish we could get them.
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
djm

Post by djm »

Red Green is a Canadian show, not BBC. Not that I'm boasting - most people here think its retarded.

Favourite BBC shows would be Hamish MacBeth, Ballykissangel (earlier series), Monarch of the Glen (earlier series), Father Ted, Vicar of Dibbley.

The BBC shows don't seem to have the ability to keep up the level of comdey writing for more than a few seasons. Things start getting melodramatic after that and go downhill rather quickly. They really do seem to know when to cut these things short in most cases.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

peteinmn wrote:
IRTradRU? wrote:I always liked "Ballykissangel"... it was gone just as fast as it arrived, though.
I also liked this very much. I know there are several additional season of this show. Wish we could get them.
A friend of mine taped most of each season... he loaned us the set of tapes and would watch them every Sunday afternoon for some time.

I always liked the earlier seasons' shows... toward the end it became evident that the writers were languishing, and really trying to write the humor into it.
IRTradRU?
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

djm wrote:Red Green is a Canadian show, not BBC. Not that I'm boasting - most people here think its retarded.
I know - but this thread was for PBS shows, not just BBC shows - it just so happens that most of the good PBS shows are English.
Charlene
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

Charlene wrote:
djm wrote:Red Green is a Canadian show, not BBC. Not that I'm boasting - most people here think its retarded.
I know - but this thread was for PBS shows, not just BBC shows - it just so happens that most of the good PBS shows are English.

:lol:

I LOVE the Red Green Show!

"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."

Carpe Ductum!
IRTradRU?
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Chef
A Very Peculiar Practice
Waiting For God
Robin of Sherwood
Praying Mantis (The one with Cheri Lungi.)
Dempsey and Makepeace
Coupling

The early days of Blake's Seven.

Almost everything that's ever been on Mystery. I like the new Miss Marple a lot.

Edited to remove several that were neither dramatic nor comedic.
Last edited by Darwin on Tue May 03, 2005 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Cynth wrote:
Gary wrote:Handgrenade Rhees was the bird with the curly red hair. She's Welsh (well, with a name like Handgrenade she'd have to be).
Sigh. The work you put me to. :lol:

Angharad Rees.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

IRTradRU? wrote:
Charlene wrote:

I LOVE the Red Green Show!

"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."

Carpe Ductum!
You should sign up for a Possum lodge card. It's free.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Charlene wrote:
Well, it's that the question was about dramatic/comedic series, and PBS is primarily an educational/informational concern, and what dramatic series they carry are not produced by them but imported, mostly through their longstanding alliance with the BBC. Notable exception is that in recent years they do have some original children's cartoon series that are essentially dramatic/comedic entertainment fare, though some of the cartoons are Canadian imports.
Reasonable person
Walden
TomB

Post by TomB »

Faulty Towers

Vicar of Dibley

Are You Being Served?

Poldark

The Two Ronnies

Rod Hull and Extrodinary Australian Emu- (I can't recall the actual name of the show).

Sherlock Holmes (with Jeremy Brett)

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

"Father Ted," "Are You Being Served?," "Yes, Prime Minister," and "Keeping up Appearances" are all great but Benny Hill was my "really most favoritist."
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

OutOfBreath wrote:"Father Ted," "Are You Being Served?," "Yes, Prime Minister," and "Keeping up Appearances" are all great but Benny Hill was my "really most favoritist."
I dread to think what American tourists are expecting to find here if that's what they've been watching. :lol:
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

jbarter wrote:I dread to think what American tourists are expecting to find here if that's what they've been watching. :lol:
:) Back in the mid seventies I met some Saudi college students in Denver. I got a huge laugh when one of them told me that before coming to America he thought all Americans were literally insane because "Let's Make a Deal" was one of the few American shows that he'd ever seen.
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.