What British progs should the Americans put on PBS?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

Hmmm, let's see if I can figure out where this icon is coming from . . .

Apparently so.

This seems to be Avanutria's trademark now, so I won't use it here. But, I'd like to copy it over to my school's board so that I can use it on my students. It's my usual expression when dealing with them.

Mind if I do that? If I can figure out how.
magroibin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by magroibin »

Wombat wrote:The Office.
What he said. :wink:
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Peggy wrote:This seems to be Avanutria's trademark now, so I won't use it here. But, I'd like to copy it over to my school's board so that I can use it on my students. It's my usual expression when dealing with them.
Hahaha, I've no exclusive rights to it - Chiffers have used it before, including me. Click on "View more Emoticons" when you're making a post, and a popup window with more images comes up. It's in there.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Redwolf wrote:Who needs PBS? Here, we get BBC America. :D

Redwolf
We don't. The only channels we get are:

VHF:
KJRH (National Broadcasting Company)
KOTV (Columbia Broadcasting System)
KTUL (American Broadcasting Company)
KOED (Oklahoma Educational Television Authority-- PBS Affiliate)

UHF:
KDOR (Trinity Broadcasting Network)
KWBT (Warner Bros.)
KOKI (Fox Broadcasting)
KRSC (independent educational station)
KTFO (United Paramount Network)
KTPX (Pax TV)
KWHB (LeSEA Broadcasting)
KGEB (Oral Roberts Ministries)

And we also get a few stations from Arkansas, Missouri, and Kansas, but these are the same networks listed above.

Actually, we do get BBC World Service radio, overnight on the NPR station.
Reasonable person
Walden
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

jbarter wrote:
GaryKelly wrote:Captain Pugwash.
OK Gary, but you have to deal with all the posts asking where to find the signature tune. :wink:
Jumping Jellyfish, that's no problem! Tis the Trumpet Hornpipe I reckon, an' the swabs can learn by ear 'ere! Aarrrr! Matey!

http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/childr ... ugwash.htm
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

IRTradRU? wrote:What American programs should they watch in the UK?

THE SIMPSONS

Oh, wait - I think they already have it...

:)
Don't worry. I know everything there is to know about America because I have seen episodes of the Simpsons, Desperate Housewives, Smallville, and Charmed. I think that about covers the whole US experience. :D
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

avanutria wrote:
Peggy wrote:This seems to be Avanutria's trademark now, so I won't use it here. But, I'd like to copy it over to my school's board so that I can use it on my students. It's my usual expression when dealing with them.
Hahaha, I've no exclusive rights to it - Chiffers have used it before, including me. Click on "View more Emoticons" when you're making a post, and a popup window with more images comes up. It's in there.
It's the closest thing Avanutria can get to a flatmouth icon.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

jbarter wrote:Don't worry. I know everything there is to know about America because I have seen episodes of the Simpsons, Desperate Housewives, Smallville, and Charmed. I think that about covers the whole US experience. :D
Nope. You also need King of the Hill, The Price is Right, and...hm. Let's throw in Home Improvement for good measure.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Here ya go.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

:lol: excellent, that's just how I feel after a three-hour uni exam this morning.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

avanutria wrote::lol: excellent, that's just how I feel after a three-hour uni exam this morning.
I feel more like a labial plosive followed by a fricative glottal stop with recurrant sussurrant overtones, but it takes all sorts.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I think a weekly tv special here could be a festival of all of the original Brit shows that were re-made here, like All in the Family. Seems like there are more than just a few.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

I think "Kumars at No. 42" is the most entertaining chat show on TV anywhere.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

chas wrote:
Jerry Freeman wrote:
Martin Milner wrote:Keeping Up Appearances (so they can see what my mother is like)
Oh, dear.

My sincere condolences, Martin.
Geez, do you have an aunt and uncle like Daisy and Onslow too?

PS, Martin, did you know your hero Hugh Laurie is in an American drama ("House")? I hear it's pretty good, but I just crack up every time I see Bertie Wooster playing an American doctor. Actually, your avatar brings a smile to my face every time I see it.

:lol: I love House! The first time I watched it I kept trying to remember where I'd seen the guy playing House. I kept relating him to comedy. The next day my brain dredged up the memory of him as Bertram Wooster. He does an American accent well enough to fool anyone who did not know he's from across the pond.

"Dr. House" is a really tactless,scruffy,un-doctor-like character-loose cannon type, who tends to make biting remarks to everyone and happens to be brilliant so he's tolerated. Very politically incorrect and often witty. He's also addicted to pain pills. I just hope that they don't mess it up, but I fear they are going to. It looks like they are going to introduce a "love intrest" for Dr. House and that will ruin it. It's one of the few TV shows I actually watch anymore.

"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

jbarter wrote:Don't worry. I know everything there is to know about America because I have seen episodes of the Simpsons, Desperate Housewives, Smallville, and Charmed. I think that about covers the whole US experience. :D
Yeah...I think that about sums all of us up :lol:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.