Crumb music ...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Crumb music ...

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Robert Crumb plays banjo, guitar, mandolin, sings. Who'da thunkit?

I don't know which parts are him, except banjo, on these clips, but you might enjoy:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4603350

Below the picture are three tunes.

Best wishes,
Jerry
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

It's always been a big part of his persona. The Cheap Suit Serenaders played around here for years in our folk clubs. Even though he is from back east, he lived around here for quite a while. Still might. I dunno, I lost track of him.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I bought the Cheap Suit Serenaders lp during the 80s, loved it. Still have al the songs firmly anchored in my head : on my persian rug I will sway far away.. 8)

And sorry weeks last I heard of him (nineties) was that he goot fed up with the US and emigrated to France :P
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Yeah, that sounds familiar, Peter. I had seen the guy around here back when I worked in Berkeley. He used to go to Down Home Music to buy records too. That's the place I get all my good Irish recordings but their notoriety is in the old Blues that he likes so much.

As for France, I am sure he will get around to skewerin' that place too. A wicked sense of humor and caricature.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Still might. I dunno, I lost track of him
He plays with the serenaders when he gets back to LA (rarely, I think), but he's been living in France for a number of years now and has another project there.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Why, oh why do they use Real media? I'll never hear it now.

I always enjoyed Crumb's comics as a young lad. I saw a biographical show about him awhile back. I hadn't known about his music prior.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Here's a recent interview (from yesterday's Fresh Air, with Terry Gross):

http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/r ... p?prgId=13

I found it very entertaining.

He moved to France 14 years ago, if I remember correctly from the interview. He said it was his wife's idea and she organized everything. He just went along, he said, but he likes it there a lot.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Crumb has a very extensive collection of early blues 78s. He's been listening to old music since his teens.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Robert Crumb has had quite a bit of media coverage in the U.K. lately,due to a big retrospective show of his work at some gallery or other (can't remember wich just now).
He has been interviewed in 'The Guardian',who ran a 'Crumb week' (!!! :party: ),and also on BBC T.v.'s 'Arts programme'.
Unfortunately,he didn't play any music on the show.
He was portrayed in the film 'American splendour' a few years back.
Years ago,he did some marvelous portraits of old blues players in the style of cigarette cards,which I thought would look rather cool on my wall.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

That was Harvey Pekar. Crumb was the subject of the movie "Crumb", by (I believe) the same director.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

s1m0n wrote:
That was Harvey Pekar. Crumb was the subject of the movie "Crumb", by (I believe) the same director.
Harvey Pekar was the originator of the 'American Splendour' comic,and the main character in the film,but Crumb does appear as a character in the film too.
I loved that film.
I must keep an eye out for 'Crumb'.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

FYI, "American Splendor" was directed by Shari Springer Berman and Robert Pulcini, great flick, I love how they transitioned between the different reprensentations of Harvey Pekar; Paul Giamatti, the real Harvey, the animated Harvey, the comic book Harvey. And it was just a great flick.

The Crumb documentary was directed by Terry Zwigoff, a friend of Crumb's, and later went on to directed "Ghost World" based on the comic by Daniel Clowes and recenty "Bad Santa".

The documentary and "Ghost World" are great flicks, I personally like "Bad Santa" a lot but I could see how it would not be everyone's cup of tea. Lauren Graham, woof.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Best wishes,
Jerry
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I heard most of the interview with Terry Gross while driving. They played a bit of his music, which totally reminded me of the music in 1930's era cartoons. That's what I visualized. Crumb mentioned that his work in the 60's was reminiscent of that style, also.

The documentary, Crumb, is amazing and kind of sad. Both his brothers are interviewed as well as himself, who seemed the most sane of the three. Sounds like they had a thouroughly miserable adolescence, but were profoundly creative during that time. Crumb is incredibly open about himself, his work, his weirdness, etc. Doesn't hold anything back.

He was interviewed because he is coming out with a retrospective book, which includes his artwork and a cd of his music. If you don't know who he is, be prepared to be shocked one way or the other. :o
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”