Cereal Monogamy

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Are you a cereal monogamist?

Yes, I'm faithful
19%
No, I'm a cereal swinger
53%
No, I mix two or more cereals in the same bowl
28%

Total votes: 36

bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Cereal Monogamy

Post by bradhurley »

Back in the days when I ate breakfast cereals, I had long monogamous relationships with particular brands. For years it was Buc-Wheats, then when they stopped making that I had a long run with Special K. During the early to mid 1990s I ate NutriGrain wheat flakes almost 7 mornings a week (with the odd indulgence in Almond Raisin but at $4 the box I reserved it for special occasions). After that it was Nature-Os, an unsweetened version of Cheerios.

So what about you? Are you faithful to one brand, or do you run indiscriminately from one cereal to the next? Or do you mix several cereals in one bowl, a sort of mélange à trois (ou plus)?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

As a kid, my favorite was Sugar Corn Pops. As an adult it was Corn Bran for years, but that suddenly disappeared. Then I went to Raisin Bran, but finally decided that extra-dry raisins in cold milk were just too hard to chew, so now it's simple Bran Flakes.

I've flirted with Grape Nuts and Cheerios, and even tried to overcome my aversion to the sliminess of cooked oatmeal, but I always come back to some kind of bran. I like the texture. (Except for All Bran, which is just too coarse.)

Quaker has a Corn Bran now, but the few times I've found it in stores, it hasn't seemed like what I was eating a decade or two ago. I don't remember what brand that was, but it was just as good as a snack as it was with milk and banana.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

I don't eat breakfast cereal much, but Almond Delight was my favorite, I think. Later on they changed it. Added granola bits, a la Honey Bunches of Oats. Eventually became so similar to the latter that I suppose there wasn't a market for both, and it isn't much to be found, anymore.
Reasonable person
Walden
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I eat a cereal called Sustain almost every day. When I can't get it I eat another called Just Right. I swing with the fruit I put on it though: grapes, blueberries, strawberries, banana, stewed peaches all have a turn.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Multi-grain Cheerios. For years and years. And PapaNicholas Hawaiian Islands Blend coffee. Even after the darkest night, there's always a reason to wake up in the morning. :)

Carol

PS Interesting thread topic, though a little flakey. Bran new for the board, I think.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

cskinner wrote: PS Interesting thread topic, though a little flakey. Bran new for the board, I think.
It's not a thread, it's a fiber!
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

Cereal? Yuck! :moreevil:

Justine
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

cskinner wrote:PS Interesting thread topic, though a little flakey. Bran new for the board, I think.
It's how we separate the wheat from the chiff around here. :roll:
Last edited by Bloomfield on Mon May 02, 2005 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
/Bloomfield
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

I can't say I'm monogamous with cereal. I hear most people desire cereal in the morning but I'm a bit of a deviant because I desire cereal in the late evenings.
No I'm not returning...
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

MurphyStout wrote:I hear most people desire cereal in the morning but I'm a bit of a deviant because I desire cereal in the late evenings.
Certain 7th Day Adventists, such as Kellogg, around the turn of the century, promoted the idea of cold cereals for breakfast, as a replacement for the traditional heavy breakfasts of bacon, eggs, ham, sausage, and the like.
Reasonable person
Walden
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I, alas have become a mixer.

I was a lifer when it came to Kellogg's Corn Flakes (never in the morning but always at night, with milk poured on and left until the flakes were soggy) but have taken up with Cheerios also in the last ten years. Now though, I become addicted to Kellogg's Corn Flakes Banana Crunch, which I eat by itself with just milk or dry as a snack food AND now mix with Cheerios and still only eat them at night and soggy. I have an adversion to any kind of noise in the morning, including crunch cereals!

Wombat likes Sustain, I never heard of it until I accidentally was viewing Kellogg's Australia website instead of Kellogg's U.S. website, Sustain isn't available in North America.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Walden wrote:
MurphyStout wrote:I hear most people desire cereal in the morning but I'm a bit of a deviant because I desire cereal in the late evenings.
Certain 7th Day Adventists, such as Kellogg, around the turn of the century, promoted the idea of cold cereals for breakfast, as a replacement for the traditional heavy breakfasts of bacon, eggs, ham, sausage, and the like.
Is that what they promoted it for? <evil grin>

(If you don't get this joke, do a bit of research of Kellogg and you'll be amazed to find out what eating cold cereal for breakfast was suppossed to "cure." :boggle: :lol: )

--James
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

MarkB wrote:
Wombat likes Sustain, I never heard of it until I accidentally was viewing Kellogg's Australia website instead of Kellogg's U.S. website, Sustain isn't available in North America.

MarkB
It was developed by nutritionists at the Australian Institute of Sport. It's rich in minerals, vegetable protein and complex carbohydrates so gives me all the energy I need for several hours. It's also much lighter than muesli. Whenever I snack between meals or late at night it's always fruit or a cereal bar or two. When I'm exercising properly I swim at least a kilometre a day almost every day as well as walking and doing manual work so this sort of food really helps.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

If Sustain was developed in Australia and it seems to be better for you, I wonder why it isn't available in North America, the nutrioin crazed society that we are, it sounds like something I would like.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
JLarsson

Post by JLarsson »

MarkB wrote:If Sustain was developed in Australia and it seems to be better for you, I wonder why it isn't available in North America, the nutrioin crazed society that we are, it sounds like something I would like.

MarkB
Unless it tastes like Vega-mite... :boggle:
JLarsson