sounds of a beginner

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
djones

sounds of a beginner

Post by djones »

I am 3 months at UPs and don't have the opportunity for criticism from a teacher hearing me play. When I learned GHB, I had a great teacher who pointed out every little thing.

It's poorly recorded (cheap mic), but if any of you wish to, I could sure use some pointers.

http://www.loweradirondack.net/mp3/beginner.mp3

I'm thinking the crans on D are muddled and bottom D comes out just strangely sometimes. Tune gets better at end.

Thank you-
Dave Jones
uilleannfinlander
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by uilleannfinlander »

Up sounds nice , but what's that terrible tapping behind.?
It really spoil your piping.
djones

Post by djones »

oops... foot tapping... old habit...
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

It sounds great! Good ornamentation and not too fast. My only other comment would be that, for some reason, it does sound very highland-pipey...Can't quite put my finger on the reason, though. Is it the rhythm? Or is it that ornament you are playing, I think on the B?

Justine
maw

Post by maw »

The foot tapping could double up as a bodhran :lol: :lol: :lol:
But hey, if I'd sounded that good after 3 months I'd have been pretty chuffed :wink:
The Mechanoids will obey the DALEKS... or be exterminated!!!
djones

Post by djones »

I played a GHB "E-doubling" (turns out to be an "A-doubling" à la uillean) I think. I'm still confusing the two playng styles. I suspect I will always be influenced by the GHB pipes I learned first.

Thanks for kind compliments.
Dave Jones
Ross

Post by Ross »

For three months, that's pretty good. I also came to UP from GHB and I wasn't that good that fast

Ross
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

djones wrote:I played a GHB "E-doubling" (turns out to be an "A-doubling" à la uillean) I think. I'm still confusing the two playng styles. I suspect I will always be influenced by the GHB pipes I learned first.

Thanks for kind compliments.
Dave Jones
It is a hard habit to break, I'm still trying to do so. :D Sounds great David, keep 'er going. :thumbsup:
ausdag

Re: sounds of a beginner

Post by ausdag »

djones wrote:I am 3 months at UPs and don't have the opportunity for criticism from a teacher hearing me play. When I learned GHB, I had a great teacher who pointed out every little thing.

It's poorly recorded (cheap mic), but if any of you wish to, I could sure use some pointers.

http://www.loweradirondack.net/mp3/beginner.mp3

I'm thinking the crans on D are muddled and bottom D comes out just strangely sometimes. Tune gets better at end.

Thank you-
Dave Jones
Hi Dave,

Now that the pats on the back are over, here's some of that 'criticism' you were aksing for' :wink: just kidding....I'm very impressed.

From one isolated piper to another -
This is stuff I've had to work out on my own basically through lots of listening to the pro pipers so I am willing to stand corrected on any points I make here...

on the cranns - there is no order to how you play the grace notes in a crann, so don't worry about it being muddled. It's good to work out what order you're going to play the gracings to try and end with an A cut to enable the crann to end with a hard D. But don't worry about it too much - it's not always as easy to do that as to speak of it. As long as you maintain good timing - that's my weakness at the moment; I tend to speed up through tripletts and cranns so lots of work with a metronome is helping to iron that out.

In the 4th bar when you play the staccatto B, you could, as a variation, not make it staccatto but slide into it from A, followed by a smooth cut with the C# finger to make it two half notes and then into C# and back D.

The back D then ends the 4th bar and is a good place to start practicing vibrato. When you feel confident, try adding vibrato to the D by using either the middle finger of you top hand, or one of your lower hand fingers. Depending on your chanter/reed, you should get a well-pronounced vibrato using the middle finger of the top hand without the pitch changing, or a more subtle one using the bottom hand fingers.

These are just some suggestions for when you gain confidence. Given that you say you're only 3 months into it, you're certainly making great progress - even better when you eliminate the GHB effects :wink: (that doubling on A I think it is can be replaced with a single 'bounce' with the A finger - like an A-B-A sort of thing but more rolled than cut then on into the F#-A to end the phrase).

Keep at it. Try not to do what I did and go into a five year lull where I only pulled the pipes out once evrey six months and then only for a brief time. After 12 years, I'm still ironing out flaws that should have been taken care of years ago :sniffle:

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

Ive also noticed that I use some of the techniques in Highland piping in my Uilleann Playing, Mostly gracenotes..
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Well stop it at once!!!
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
djones

Post by djones »

Thanks so much for all the help! Next best thing to a tutor.

I think getting the highlands out of my playing will be hard. I cannot yet hear what about it is GHB to remove it. Maybe need a few drinks first. :wink:

All the best -
Dave Jones
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Didn't Jerry O'Sullivan make the switch from GHP to UP as well? I've heard tell that his style is still noteably influenced by GHPing. Having never played, I don't know how much from listening to him....either way, he's brilliant on the chanter!