A sad tale with a newly hopeful ending: the Ivory-Bill!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
herbivore12
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A sad tale with a newly hopeful ending: the Ivory-Bill!

Post by herbivore12 »

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/ivory/index.html

This will take you to the Cornell ornithology lab's page about the ivory-billed woodpecker. Long thought extinct, a team from Cornell documented at least 15 sightings of a bird in Arkansas, seven of which are to be published in today's Science magazine, and captured a few seconds of the bird on video.

You might be familiar with at least the name of this bird, since it’s often used in discussions about extinction in the United States. A magnificent bird – the largest woodpecker we have – the bird lived across the south in deep forests, but as almost all of the hardwood forests were cleared over time, its numbers fell until the last one was spotted in the first half of the twentieth century (there have been scattered reports of sightings since then, but none confirmed). They are about the size of a crow, huge for a woodpecker, and boldly colored in black and white, with males displaying the famous Woody Woodpecker red crest. In some parts of the south, they were called the “Lord God” bird, or the “Good Lord” bird, because anyone who saw one of these huge woodpeckers usually exclaimed one of those phrases. Extensive searches have been made for the bird since the last one was spotted, but one was never seen, so the bird was finally considered extinct.

Last year, a kayaker thought he spotted one in Arkansas, and researchers from Cornell subsequently traveled there and confirmed his sightings. It’s amazing that the bird has survived despite the almost complete loss of its habitat, and is a testimony to the fact that conservation efforts aimed at habitats, rather than individual species, can have great results.

Anyway, I'm walking on air at the news. I'm a bird nut.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

An artist's image of what an ivory-
billed woodpecker looks like. So far,
naturalists have captured only a fleeting
video image of the rare bird in Arkansas.

There's an article and news clip about this bird on NPR. A second half of the story runs tomorrow. This mornings new said the bird hadn't been seen in 60 years. I have friends that will probably be heading down there now. I suppose quite a few people are already headed that direction. Bird watchers tend to be pretty intense.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Lorenzo wrote:I have friends that will probably be heading down there now. I suppose quite a few people are already headed that direction. Bird watchers tend to be pretty intense.
That's the most depressing part. Hopefully the authorities will have some way of limiting access so the birders don't end up hounding this poor creature to death.

The influx of Great Grey owls this past winter was a low point in the world of birder and bird-photographer ethics. I read lots of reports of these owls, most of which were starving, dying after being pursued by photographers or being killed by cars after being lured to roadsides by birders who tossed out food for them.

I used to be an enthusiastic birder, but stopped participating in birding groups years ago because I was so disgusted by people's behavior. There are lots of birders out there who observe accepted codes of ethics, but there are many more who don't. It's a shame.
missy

Post by missy »

That's great news!

We're "backyard" birders. We just put out food in our bird feeders and see what comes along (other than squirrels and raccoons!)

I've had a trio of male blue jays come back every year for the past 5 years (wonder how long they live?). They all were from the same nest - saw them when they were still "juveniles" and they have continued to hang around together - which is unusual behavior for male blue jays.

Also have a cardinal - if I see him this year this will be the third year - that we have christened "baldy". He doesn't have a crest on his head - there's a big gray patch instead.

And, we get the usual "dive bombing" humming birds!

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

bradhurley wrote:Hopefully the authorities will have some way of limiting access so the birders don't end up hounding this poor creature to death.
I hope so, too. I think it's in a pretty inaccessible area, so probably only the most driven birders will try to get there, but as Lorenzo noted, there are some crazy-intense birders out there who'll do anything to add a species to their "life list".

I'm an enthusiastic birder (well, lately more of a hiker who keeps his eyes peeled for birds), but I don't keep a list, or go out in birding groups. Some birders seem to consider the birds just a commodity, something to see so they can cross it off on their to-do list. Sort of like watching some tourists travel through Europe: "Okay, we've seen Notre Dame and the Louvre and Big Ben and the Leaning Tower of Pisa; now off to kiss the Blarney Stone and . . ." Seeing a birder disturb a nesting bird or running down a hungry owl . . .oy.

Nonetheless, I'm very happy that it appears that the ivory-bill has survived, and may make a slow recovery if more habitat can be restored. I'm going to bask in the hope for a while, rather than bemoan what might happen if unethical birders descend on the place. Hope's a good thing.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Wow! That is amazing news. I had heard about the people investigating in Louisiana a while back, but I didn't know that there had been a likely sighting in January in Arkansas. I hope they can protect the area from people going in. Surely it would not be hard to justify.

Keeping a list of the birds you have seen can be a way of remembering trips you've been on and just remembering what birds you've seen. I have a hard time identifying birds and if I am finally sure of what I am seeing I find it rather a treat to mark the date and place on a list. I'm sure it can be carried to an extreme, just like anything.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

herbivore12 wrote: Nonetheless, I'm very happy that it appears that the ivory-bill has survived, and may make a slow recovery if more habitat can be restored. I'm going to bask in the hope for a while, rather than bemoan what might happen if unethical birders descend on the place. Hope's a good thing.
Yeah, I'm sorry if I was so negative...I guess I'm still sore about the great grey owls, which was a big issue here in Montreal where we had a large group of them on an island just north of the city. The local birding hotlines stopped providing the locations of sightings because too many people were harrassing the birds.

It is indeed wonderful that this ivory-bill was sighted, and my fervent hope is that where there's one there might be more...it's possible that these birds are exceptionally long-lived and this could just be a lone survivor, but I'm hoping it turns out that there's a small population that can be encouraged to grow!
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

That is good news for the woodpecker!

BradHurley wrote:
I used to be an enthusiastic birder, but stopped participating in birding groups years ago because I was so disgusted by people's behavior. There are lots of birders out there who observe accepted codes of ethics, but there are many more who don't. It's a shame.
I was to at one time an enthusiastic birder, living just miles from Pointe Pelee but alas with the influx of birders who really don't care if they trample each other, litter the land, speed down the highways from one place to other killing the birds they're hunting, I have left birding altogether.

Every year it gets worse around here, great for the economy bad for the birds.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Now someone in tasmania just needs to dig up a thylacine! :)
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

bradhurley wrote: It is indeed wonderful that this ivory-bill was sighted, and my fervent hope is that where there's one there might be more...it's possible that these birds are exceptionally long-lived and this could just be a lone survivor . . .!
Sheesh, give a guy a silver lining and watch him rip it up in search of the cloud. (Brad after winning the lottery: "Crap. Now I'm going to get calls from a bunch of distantly related gold-diggers . . .")

Kidding! Kidding. It's hard not to be a little guarded about stuff like this, esp. when one's well versed in conservation issues (as Brad is). I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the woodpecker.

And yeah, a thylacine would be awfully cool, too.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

You know, the sightings the NPR story is talking about were in an area not far from where I grew up in Arkansas. I'm expecting that Arkansas hunters will be looking forward to a ivory-bill hunting season at some point in the future.

I kid the Arkansas hunters. I kid because I love.

Dale
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Lets just hope false "sightings" don't start happening all over the place and feathers offered for sale on eBay!!

-----------------
The Lord God Bird
  • Interior Secretary Gale Norton called the find an "exciting opportunity.

"Don't love this bird to death," Norton added, saying there has not been time to make plans for public access to view the bird.

Once prized by Indians who believed that its bill possessed magical powers, the ivory bill was also hunted in the late 19th and 20th centuries for its feathers, popular on ladies hats. Loss of habitat was its main threat, however.

The ivory-billed woodpecker, one of the largest such birds in the world, is one of six North American bird species thought to have become extinct since 1880. While somewhat rare, the bird ranged widely across the southeastern United States until logging eliminated many forests between 1880 and the 1940s.

Sometimes called the white-back, pearly bill, poule de bois and even Lord God bird, the ivory bill was known for the two-note rap of its bill as it ripped into tree bark in search of edible grubs and beetle larvae.

There have been anecdotal reports of the birds, but the last conclusive sighting in continental North America was in 1944 in northern Louisiana. A subspecies of the bird has been reported in Cuba. -more
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

I am so totally PSYCHED!!!!

:party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

Robin
jen f

Post by jen f »

That's cool! Thanks for posting. I'll be on the look-out, although I seriously doubt one of these will visit my back yard. Maybe one day I'll get to see one.

I wouldn't call myself a bird fanatic, but I do enjoy feeding and watching the birds, and I get excited when I see a species I haven't seen before or don't get to see very often. Last week I opened the blinds in the front room just in time to see a roadrunner scurrying down our street! That was neat.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Let's hope they don't start spontaneously combusting like the frogs!