Exploding Toads

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Exploding Toads

Post by GaryKelly »

Well, seems like "there's nothing to see here folks, move along" in the Doom Thread. Guess there's just no Doom after all. Nothing to worry about at all. The future's bright.

Unless yer a German Toad:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4486247.stm
The BBC wrote: Mystery of German exploding toads

Toads in an area of northern Germany are being killed off by a mysterious disease - they are exploding.

Thousands of the amphibians have died in recent days in a pond in Hamburg's Altona district, with their bodies swelling to bursting point.

The toads' entrails are propelled for up to a metre (3.2ft), in scenes that have been likened to science fiction.

Scientists are baffled. Possible explanations include a unknown virus or a fungus in the pond.

"You see the animals crawling on the ground, swelling and then exploding," German conservationist Werner Smolnik told AFP news agency.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Jack

Post by Jack »

Ribbet.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

FROGGIN H*ll! :o
This story made BBC radio 4's 'Today' programme,and of course,the 'Fortean Times' website.
Whatever is causing this,lets hope that it doesn't cross the species barrier- I don't fancy diving under a pub table everytime someone burps! :lol:
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Cranberry wrote:Ribbet.
Interesting response. I guess your legendary sympathy for animal rights only extends only to mammals, and not to amphibians.

The point has already been made elsewhere that amphibians are valuable bio-indicators. If whatever's killing the toads in Hamburg isn't a local phenomenon, if it's biological and spreads worldwide, a significant chunk of our eco-system will disappear.

I imagine that scientists are working furiously to identify the cause, and spent a restless night wondering what might happen if the cause is viral, and what might happen if the virus is able to jump the species barrier into, oh, let's say, cows. If it does, I doubt your response would be limited to one word, and if it was, I doubt it'd be "moo."
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Jack

Post by Jack »

GaryKelly wrote:
Cranberry wrote:Ribbet.
Interesting response. I guess your legendary sympathy for animal rights only extends only to mammals, and not to amphibians.

The point has already been made elsewhere that amphibians are valuable bio-indicators. If whatever's killing the toads in Hamburg isn't a local phenomenon, if it's biological and spreads worldwide, a significant chunk of our eco-system will disappear.

I imagine that scientists are working furiously to identify the cause, and spent a restless night wondering what might happen if the cause is viral, and what might happen if the virus is able to jump the species barrier into, oh, let's say, cows. If it does, I doubt your response would be limited to one word, and if it was, I doubt it'd be "moo."
Gary, darling...

Well, just nevermind. :roll:
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Gary, are you all right lately? Haven't seen a lot of your usual humor.

I'm surprised at Cran's response too since it's very un-cranberry like but it's nothing harmful.

This sounds scary though. Let's hope it's something the experts can sort before it's a BIG problem.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Jack

Post by Jack »

Flyingcursor wrote:I'm surprised at Cran's response too since it's very un-cranberry like but it's nothing harmful.
I was trying to mock jim stone.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

GaryKelly wrote:what might happen if the virus is able to jump the species barrier into, oh, let's say, cows.
Exploding cows exist Gary. Just ask Bateman's Brewery. :boggle:
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Another recent article in the Fortean Times

Quote:

Alarming behaviour
By Paul Revel

John Broad is puzzled as to why his car locking system often does not work outside his home.

VILLAGERS say they are being plagued by a mystery interference which is playing havoc with their cars.

Meopham residents say their lives have been disrupted for two weeks by the strange happening.

They have seen their cars' remote-controlled locking systems go berserk meaning many motorists have been locked out of their own vehicles.

Former maintenance engineer John Broad, 67, said: "We want to get to the bottom of this. Whoever is responsible should sort it out. People are very concerned.

"One bloke even had his car towed away to the dealership for diagnostics but they couldn't find anything wrong with it."

Father-of-two Mr Broad has been having trouble with his Nissan Almeria but the mysterious electronic gremlins are striking a range of cars including Toyotas, Volkswagens and Land Rovers.

He added: "One chap goes to work at 5am and when he's having problems his car's loud alarm wakes up the whole street."

Villagers suspected the Vodafone mast at Meopham train station but the company has said there is no way it is responsible.

News Shopper has reported in the past how motorists have been locked out of their cars because of phone mast interference.

Normally upgraded 3G masts, which allow people to send pictures and videos via their mobiles, are to blame.

In one case, car manufacturer Subaru confirmed its cars can be affected by radiation from masts.

But Vodafone says the Meopham station mast has been operating for many years and there have been no recent alterations or upgrades.

A spokesman said it was highly unlikely the phone mast was affecting the car alarms.

She explained the phone network operated between 900 and 2,100 megahertz which is far removed from the key-fob remote controls for cars, which operate at around 300 megahertz.

She added more likely causes could be radio transmissions from ambulances and police cars, or even amateur radio hams' operating in the area.

Mr Broad said: "It's mystifying.We are at the end of our tether. If any readers can give us a clue as to why this is happening we want to hear from them."

Can you solve the mystery of the dysfunctional car alarms? Call 01689 885725 or email prevel @london.newsquest.co.uk

10:44am Wednesday 27th April 2005

Enf of Quote

I'm trying to work out why the bits in bold count as strange or unusual in any way.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

As Gary pointed out, amphibians are bio-indicators, and they are an important part of any ecology. This is disturbing news, and certainly worth watching.
missy

Post by missy »

jbarter wrote:
"Exploding cows exist Gary"

Dave Barry used to write about exploding cows every so often. I once found a reprint of a scientific article discussing methane production in cow flatulance, and how it could lead to exploding cows, and sent it to him.
He sent me a note back saying I was even stranger than he was. :D

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

It's those goldurned alien grays.

According to Weekly World News terrorists had hijacked a UFO to bomb the White House. Maybe they are responsible for the odd electronic behavior.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

One theory has crows as the culprits:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... ding_toads

I don't quite get why the recently de-livered toads explode after their crude avian hepatectomies; the article doesn't really explain the mechanism. Whatever it is, I hope they figure out what's happening soon. Not a nice way for anything, even a toad, to go.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Gas.
happyturkeyman

Post by happyturkeyman »

Frogs are a signal species. Maybe nature's trying to tell us something. :oops:

And why has no one made a pun about "croaking" yet?
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.