Your opinion ...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dessinchat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Your opinion ...

Post by dessinchat »

Until now, I have only played tin Whistle and classical flute. I intend now to buy an irish wood flute and was looking on eBay. What do you think of item like http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 14376&rd=1 ?
Is it good enough to learn before buying a better one but so expensive ? :oops:
Random notes

PAKISTANI FLUTE ALERT!!!

Post by Random notes »

There are any number of threads around here regarding Pakistani flutes. The consensus is, "Don't bother". They are (almost) invariably out of tune and not worth the effort to fix.

Strongest recommendations for beginner flutes are the Tipple:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

and the Casey Burns Folk Flute (more expensive, but real wood and very easy to play):
http://www.caseyburnsflutes.com/ff.php

Also, Olwell bamboo flutes are very highly regarded, but difficult to obtain.

I'm sure others will chime in.

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! Get a Tipple instead http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 47753&rd=1 what you were looking at getting is a bonafide (sp?) piece of crap. If you are looking for a cheaper starter Flute there is nothing better than a Tipple.
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

my opinion for what it's worth: Don't waste your time on subpar instruments. If you already know your passion (flute) an inferior instrument will only frustrate you after a few months (or weeks) and you'll end up ordering/buying a more expensive one anyway.

I would try the ebay route only if you can afford to take the risk and may already have a quality instrument at home. Best choice for you would be either to buy a quality flute off of someone you know or order one from the top current makers which I personally consider to be Wilkes, Grinter, Olwell all of which of course come with waiting lists...
lichatt

Post by lichatt »

yes, get a tipple for good tone and easy blowing, otherwise there are Calmont flutes on ebay, who are well in tune and loud enough (mine is).
Best for a little more money, the Casey burns.

Sure i love my new Seery, but not the same price.
Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye »

Check your pm
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

I tried a Pakastani Irish flute once...boy, it sure LOOKED nice...

.............................................:o

...couldn't get a sound out of it, though! :cry: Luckily, I bougt it from an Ebayer that accepted returns! :lol: Happy Ending! :D

What the rest said in order of price: Tipple(Chiff member), Casey Burns, JonC(Chiff member) M&E, Seery. Hard to go wrong with those.
~~~~
Barry
dessinchat

Post by dessinchat »

Hi all ! many thanks for your replies !! :D

I had a look at the casey Burns flutes and they look great!
Is it so important to get keys on an Irish flute ? There is nothing to make alterations on a whistle, so most of tunes don't need them ?

But perhaps it's another topic ... :roll:
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Keys are not all that important. Many fine players either don't have keyed instruments, or don't use the keys if they do.

In addition to the Casey Burns flutes, you might check flutes by M&E (Michael Cronnolly) and Desi Seery. Both make fine instruments of polymer which require almost no care or maintenance. Any of these instruments are a fine way to learn the flute.

--James
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

peeplj wrote:Keys are not all that important. Many fine players either don't have keyed instruments, or don't use the keys if they do.

In addition to the Casey Burns flutes, you might check flutes by M&E (Michael Cronnolly) and Desi Seery. Both make fine instruments of polymer which require almost no care or maintenance. Any of these instruments are a fine way to learn the flute.

--James
I agree that all three of the above are excellent instruments (as is the Tipple).

Both the M&E and the Seery can have keys added later if desired. Casey Burns can also add keys later but not on his flok flute model.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

For the majority of session tunes, you absolutely do not need keys.

For almost all solo playing, you don't need keys.

If you plan to accompany vocalists who insist on singing in exactly a particular key,
playing with instruments in odd keys, or playing non-trad music (usually on this
kind of flute, that'd be baroque, but, anything with lots of accidentals) you don't
need keys.

Generally speaking, if you don't have keys you may have to transpose. I play
'She moved through the fair' in A because that's where it works, even though
the dots I had for it put it in D (but you need the seventh below the tonic, and
that won't happen without a low C# key...)

(I can't remember now why I couldn't put it in G. I think it may actually be modal -
it sounds modal - if so, in D or G it would've required a half-holing, or a key, anyway.)

Red is the Rose fits perfectly in G (I've seen dots in C and in G), Down by the Sally Gardens
in D, etc.

Just move up until you have enough notes below the tonic for your air.

Now, if you want to play Jazz, that's another story...
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

ChrisA wrote:
Now, if you want to play Jazz, that's another story...
And if you've already got a Boehm flute. . . .

There's about ONE tune I would like to play that absolutely requires keys (At least for me). Paddy Carty's version of "Jug of Punch." The A part is transposable, but the B part isn't.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

I am just making the transition. My new flute is a Casey Burns, keyless. I'm now thinking of getting a Tipple as well. I love the CB flute, and I'm finding it challenging but satisfying. But it's heavy and I'm thinking that it would be good for me to have something that would relieve that one challenging aspect, so I can relax a little more as I'm learning, maybe switch back and forth between a Tipple and the CB.

So did you order your flute yet?

Jennie
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

Jennie wrote:
My new flute is a Casey Burns, keyless. I'm now thinking of getting a Tipple as well. I love the CB flute, and I'm finding it challenging but satisfying. But it's heavy and I'm thinking that it would be good for me to have something that would relieve that one challenging aspect, so I can relax a little more as I'm learning, maybe switch back and forth between a Tipple and the CB
Instead of buying 2 non Grade A flutes wouldn't it be economically more productive to invest in a Grade A flute that will also minimize the development of "bad" habits?

Just a thought...
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Blackwood wrote:Instead of buying 2 non Grade A flutes wouldn't it be economically more productive to invest in a Grade A flute that will also minimize the development of "bad" habits?

Just a thought...
Don't tell me a CB flute is not "Grade A"! It's a beautiful flute.
But there are so many things to learn all at once that I can see the reasoning in having a "beginner's" instrument, one that helps the player produce music more easily while he or she is developing technique.

Call me impatient. I want to get everything right all at once. But wouldn't a lighter flute make it easier for me to develop a grip that's relaxed and correct? Or allow me to play for longer periods?

But in any case, a Tipple could be my all-weather flute. :)
Jennie