whistle case idea

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
LisaD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

whistle case idea

Post by LisaD »

This is for those looking for inexpensive whistle case ideas. This week, I was thrilled to make a whistle case for under $3! It holds 4 high whistles and looks great.

... found an old backgammon game at a thrift store: $1.99
(high D whistle to show scale)

... added foam inserts, cut to size: $0.50

ok ... the whistles do add to the cost a bit :)

BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Great idea! Backgammon cases tend to be very nice looking. The smaller ones can relined and used as small gift boxes. One tip is to let the whistles dry out before closing the case for storage to avoid moisture build up.
+ Bill
Band Nerd

Post by Band Nerd »

Wow! That's really cool! Sooner or later, I'm going to find myself a whistle case as cool as that one!

Collin
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I have done something similar. I like to recycle where possible. Since I retired I had a briefcase that was doing nothing useful. I took a different approach though. I made a bag that holds a few essential whistles that fits in the briefcase with my notebook that has music I have printed out, etc. The bag can be seen here.

https://home.comcast.net/~rskiley/whist ... tlebag.jpg

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
LisaD

Post by LisaD »

That's a great idea, Ron. It's easy/inexpensive to make, and the whistles are protected by the briefcase. I also like the idea of having the whistles/music all in one place.
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Since I play mainly low whistles...I went and bought 2 shot gun cases to hold most of my whitles.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

LisaD wrote:... added foam inserts, cut to size
How did you cut the foam so neatly? What is that kind of foam called?

Ron, also a nice idea. I have a similar set-up for my knitting needles.

I agree with BillChin about letting whistles dry out before air-tight storage.
fiddlinzombie

Post by fiddlinzombie »

Why not purchase the great whistle case from the bigwhistle website(www.bigwhistle.com)?? It iz magic!!! I use one and they hold everytrhing with room to spare!! They hold four low whistle and two alto and two soprano. That iz the one i have but there is a new model coming on the market in the next month and at only 499.99 GBP , NOT BAD :D :P :D

PS If you buy one could you mention the name MATHEU WATSON it would help me greatly seeing as I owe him af avour 8) :D 8) ????
Here's one I made earlier!! LOL!! (No this is actually the older version of the big whistle bag) :D Image
Last edited by fiddlinzombie on Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Byll
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I echo Cynth's question: HOW do you cut the foam so precisely? What type of foam is this?
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
fluti31415

Post by fluti31415 »

KDMARTINKY wrote:Since I play mainly low whistles...I went and bought 2 shot gun cases to hold most of my whitles.
Do you get stopped at airports now?

(I once had a teacher tell me that an oboe, in the wrong hands, was a deadly weapon.)
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
fluti31415

Post by fluti31415 »

KDMARTINKY wrote:Since I play mainly low whistles...I went and bought 2 shot gun cases to hold most of my whitles.
Do you get stopped at airports now?

(I once had a teacher tell me that an oboe, in the wrong hands, was a deadly weapon.)
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol:
LisaD

Post by LisaD »

Cynth wrote:How did you cut the foam so neatly? What is that kind of foam called?
I bought the foam on ebay ... not sure what it's called, but I got a whole stack of it cheap. It's pretty high density, about 1" thick. I cut it to size using a curved xacto blade and one of those long, see-through quilting rulers with all the markings on it. I ran the edge of the blade against the ruler for a straight cut.
Last edited by LisaD on Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
IrishLass

Post by IrishLass »

VERY cool! You could go into business! I bought a hinged case at Gordman's and added a nice antique brass handle to match, then I put in foam which I covered with a soft cloth (kind of like the inside of a clarinet or flute case). It looks really nice, but I didn't cut the foam to fit the whistles. That would have been a nice touch. I will have to borrow a digital camera and post pictures. It looks nice, almost like a "real" instrument case. :D
"Sing to the Lord a new song" Psalm 149:1
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I am very impressed by your skill with an exacto knife and ruler. How did you dig out the channel part, the bottom? Is it two layers and you cut all the way through the top layer and then stuck them together? The bottoms of the slots look so smooth. I don't see how you could cut the foam out of there.