Ever made a dumb mistake?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Well, I think you should wear sturdy shoes when carrying an instrument like that! :)
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

i wonder who's gonna buy such an instument anyway...
you couldn't just walk into a session with it an and say"it used to be my grannies",
and after, someone might spill a pint over it!
or is there special sessions for rich gangsters :-?
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

lixnaw wrote:or is there special sessions for rich gangsters :-?
I wouldn't want to be around a gangsters' session when they started opening the fiddle cases. I've seen too many Jimmy Cagney movies to risk that.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

jbarter wrote:
lixnaw wrote:or is there special sessions for rich gangsters :-?
I wouldn't want to be around a gangsters' session when they started opening the fiddle cases. I've seen too many Jimmy Cagney movies to risk that.
things changed, uilleann pipers are the dangermen now :lol:
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

My husband did the fiddle-on-the-car-roof trick, too. He was supposed to be driving just behind me, and the friend in my car noticed that he had stopped on the freeway. "Oh no," she said, "he must have car trouble!"

"No," I replied. "He probably left our daughter's fiddle on the car roof and it's just fallen off." Which turned out to be right. Too bad my intuition didn't kick in earlier, before we all drove off. But the fiddle was okay.

This may be legend... but I heard a story that Pete Seeger once reported his banjo stolen, only to find he had done the same thing. It was found on the roadside just where he had been parked.

That poor violinist. :cry: Stupid, yes, but what a price to pay. :boggle:
Jennie
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

izzarina wrote:I can't relate to this thread. I have never done anything dumb in my life

:P

Pssst! Hey Izz! I'd be happy to help you out there by giving you stupid mistake lessons if you like... free, won't even charge you for them. Just don't tell anyone else... keep it hush hush, K? Wouldn't want the general population to know I actually make stupid mistakes or anything.

;) Sara (*who's feeling quite bizzare and thinks it's eat to level out the blood sugar thing time*)

Aren't you all glad that whistles are relativly inexpensive? Never will have to worry about an $850,000 whistle.
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
missy

Post by missy »

I was with a fellow musician once. We stopped somewhere and he left his banjo in his car, and unfortunately, left his car unlocked.

Yes, it happened............

When he returned, he had five banjos in his car! :D

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

An $850,000 fiddle and a bow just one of five in all creation on loan to some kid not yet hip to the ways of the world? I think the dumb mistake started with that.

Oh, who am I to talk. I've got flutes loaned out. *sweats*
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Strange how here on page two of "Ever made a dumb mistake" the google ad is for a web hosting company :o
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

http://www.lindsaydeutsch.com/

Ms. Deutsh is not just some dumb kid. She's apparently an accomplished musician. Let's not forget Yo Yo Ma left his Strad cello in a taxi once. I also recall that some famous violinist left his fiddle on the front steps, but I can't remember the details. Both of those instruments were recovered, so let's hope for the best.

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Just for the record, Roger, I didn't call her dumb. I pegged her for worldly inexperience. Not the same thing.

But yes, let's hope for the best.
Jeff Stallard

Post by Jeff Stallard »

Bear in mind that the thief would have a hard time selling the instrument. Anything that rare would be hard to sell (after you've stolen it). They would have been better off stealing a simple $5,000 violin.

Of course...they could always use it as firewood.
:twisted:
"Reality is the computer hardware, and religions are the operating systems: abstractions that allow us to interact with, and draw meaning from, a reality that would otherwise be incomprehensible."
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

GaryKelly wrote:Yes, but she's still very cute, and if I had a fiddle and bow worth $850k I'd consider loaning them to her :)

So would Amar.

:D
damn right
Jumper

Happy Ending

Post by Jumper »

A happy ending:

http://www.lindsaydeutsch.com/stolenviolin.htm
My violin and bow have been recovered!

As of 4/21, my violin and bow has been recovered by the LAPD. The person who turned it in says they were walking their dog and discovered the violin in an alley near the Pavillions shopping center where the violin was stolen. I have not had a chance to closely examine the violin yet, but the violin and bow appear to be in good condition.

I want to thank everybody for their kind thoughts and support. I have had an outpouring of support and even several offers to loan me a new violin and offers to give me money to replace the violin. I want to thank everyone for the kind offers, but thankfully I will not be needing those now.

The police still have the violin in their possession and are doing fingerprinting tests, but they will be delivering the violin to me Saturday at 12 noon. I will have my baby back.

Again, thanks for all your support and we'll see you at future concerts.

Love,

Lindsay
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

:)

A happy ending!

And she's gracious enough to say:

I want to thank everybody for their kind thoughts and support. I have had an outpouring of support and even several offers to loan me a new violin and offers to give me money to replace the violin. I want to thank everyone for the kind offers, but thankfully I will not be needing those now.

(She obviously doesn't read this forum).
IRTradRU?