What does George Bush and natural disasters have in common?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jGilder
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What does George Bush and natural disasters have in common?

Post by jGilder »

A very interesting article is in the May issue of The Nation. Columnist, Naomi Klein writes about how the wars Bush wages create new frontiers for capitalism in a way that’s not unlike the result of some recent natural disasters.

“Few ideologues can resist the allure of a blank slate--that was colonialism's seductive promise: "discovering" wide-open new lands where utopia seemed possible. But colonialism is dead, or so we are told; there are no new places to discover, no terra nullius (there never was), no more blank pages on which, as Mao once said, "the newest and most beautiful words can be written." There is, however, plenty of destruction--countries smashed to rubble, whether by so-called Acts of God or by Acts of Bush (on orders from God). And where there is destruction there is reconstruction, a chance to grab hold of "the terrible barrenness," as a UN official recently described the devastation in Aceh, and fill it with the most perfect, beautiful plans.”

The Rise of Disaster Capitalism

Hint for Jim Stone: Click on title to read full article. :)
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Re: What does George Bush and natural disasters have in comm

Post by Walden »

jGilder wrote:What does George Bush and natural disasters have in common?
Both things the press love to hate.
Reasonable person
Walden
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

In other words, if you run out of clean paper erase some of the old stuff .

It's the Etch-a-Sketch principle at work.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Jeff Stallard

Post by Jeff Stallard »

Just think of it as urban renovation. If it's such a good thing for cities, think how much better it is for countries.

:-?
"Reality is the computer hardware, and religions are the operating systems: abstractions that allow us to interact with, and draw meaning from, a reality that would otherwise be incomprehensible."
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I was under the impression that the two (George W. Bush and Natural Disaster) were now interchangeable.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Oh... I thought this thread was about the now approved plan to drill in the Arctic Wildlife Refuge.

Susan
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

susnfx wrote:Oh... I thought this thread was about the now approved plan to drill in the Arctic Wildlife Refuge.

Susan
People have been trying for years to slant-drill under Lake Michigan. So far no luck.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Flyingcursor wrote:People have been trying for years to slant-drill under Lake Michigan. So far no luck.
Are you sure it's not a ruse by California to tap into the bottom of the lake and steal water? ("No, that's not water. We're pumping oil. Honest.")
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

George Bush

Burning Bush

Hmmm.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Some disaster, Gary. Couldn't you find a photo of the shaving accident?
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

I was waiting for the punch line to that joke! :boggle:
izzarina wrote:I was under the impression that the two (George W. Bush and Natural Disaster) were now interchangeable.
You know, both a nighttime tornado and those nighttime bombing raids on Baghdad produce a lot of those eerie blue-green power flashes.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

BrassBlower wrote:I was waiting for the punch line to that joke! :boggle:
But... Wombat got it immediately! Haven't you ever nicked yerself shaving, then slapped on the aftershave (or cologne)? Talk about natural disasters and the burning and the running around going "aaaargh! ooooogh! Yaaaaagh! Sunnuvva...... waaa!"
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Grow a beard Gary, it avoids the problem. It also means you're guaranteed to get at least two bottles of after shave lotion every Christmas. :D
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)