Help for my wrist

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Chang He

Help for my wrist

Post by Chang He »

As the proud owner of a flute just over a week in my possession, I am running into difficulties. I haven't been practicing more than an hour or so a day, but my left wrist is starting to hurt when I play.

I'm using the classic style grip there, I think, with the flute seated just above the first knuckle of my index finger. I've been trying to keep my wrist relatively straight, but it is actually less painful to bend it backwards a little less than 45 degrees. With the right hand I am following Nicholson's instructions, with my thumb pointed straght at the body of the flute. (So Nicholson's instructions all around) This was working fine until yesterday, and today the same story.

I am curious if any of you, with vastly more experience, have any tips on what I can do to improve my grip. I have fairly large hands, so the spread is not a problem.

An additional minor complaint, which may improve with practice, is that I can't make the B to Cnat transition as nimbly as I would like (I am coming from playing whistle) Is that something which will improve with practice, or is it a problem related to my grip?
Band Nerd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Band Nerd »

For me, the B to Cnat transition came with practice. Hey look--post #50 for me!!!!!! :party:
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Take a day or two off. the shift from B to Cnat will
speed up on its own. I'm not sure what the
forty-five degrees comes to, but if it works
you might go for it.

If you continue to have pain
a) consult a teacher, if possible,
b) consider piper's grip
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

In addition to the above, are you perhaps engaging, maybe unknowingly, in the grip of death? After over 2 years of serious playing, I'll still notice from time to time pain in my left wrist/hand and realize I'm nearly strangling the flute. If you're tensing up to keep a good grip, you're holding your flute to tight and will have pain.

Just another thought.

Eric
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I could be death grip I have noticed the past day or so I have been using it never have before but I am trying to kill it off.
Kelpie

Post by Kelpie »

don't go at it like a bull at a gate! if you've not played the flute before you're making your muscles do new and strange things - too much too soon will cause you untold problems later on( like not being able to play at all) so build up slowly - walk before running and you'll be able to play as much as you like( I can happily do five hours or more over a day and freqently do). The trick is not stopping when it hurts but stopping well before
Yes of course it was meant to sound that way!
KateG

Post by KateG »

For the B to C natural at speed, try half holing. On my Sweet flute, I use several fingerings for C natural depending on the speed of the piece, the notes around the C natural and how much stress falls on the note. If the note is emphasized and needs to be spot on pitch, I use oxo xxx. A quick passing note will sometimes get oxo xoo, but it's weaker and the pitch isn't as true. And, as noted above, on really fast pieces with a lot of B to C naturals (e.g. Dusty Windowsill), I use the half hole the b hole. Whatever works.
cocusflute

Wrist pain

Post by cocusflute »

Got pains where you don't want them? Get in the gym and get yourself strong. Strong people make the best music. Holding the same position for long periods of time results in terrible stresses on the body. The weak body is most at risk.
Get a set of dumbbells and strengthen your wrists. Add some yoga for flexibility and soon you'll be playing in Gm with no problem.
GaryKelly

Re: Wrist pain

Post by GaryKelly »

cocusflute wrote:Holding the same position for long periods of time results in terrible stresses on the body.
It's true! Look at this dood's expression! :o

Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Another thing is how your shoulders are lined up. I was having some pain in my left wrist too, but only in sessions. I figured out that it was caused by my sitting at a bad angle and holding my shoulders too straight in order to see the other sessioners. I'm much more comfortable with my shoulders and upper body rotated slightly left.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Chang He wrote:"I'm using the classic style grip there, I think, with the flute seated just above the first knuckle of my index finger. I've been trying to keep my wrist relatively straight, but it is actually less painful to bend it backwards a little less than 45 degrees.
Try lowering the flute to closer to the same level as that knuckle. I also turn my wrist back around 45 degrees and find it reduces cramping to the point where I haven't had any for a long time.

For the B to Cnat it just takes practice. Some reels like the Congress have that combo and it just takes a bit of extra practice.

Cheers,
Aaron
Chang He

Post by Chang He »

Thanks for the pointers everyone, I think I've got enough info to keep myself busy (and hopefully pain free) for quite a while now.

EDIT: Also, betraying my inexperience, I said "Nicholson" above, where I think I meant Rockstro. Still, you all figured out what I was saying, and I'm still thankful for the tips. Seems to be working much better now, especially moving the flute down onto the first knuckle, rather than having it just above. That has helped my speed with the transition up there too.