embrouchure cutaway

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Tommy
antispam: No

embrouchure cutaway

Post by Tommy »

I read on the Skip Healy site that their flute has an embrouchure cutaway.
What is that for?
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

Some makers do this to increase the stability, ease of play and volume of their flutes. Some people like it, others don't.

Here are two examples:
Casey Burns headjoint

Peter Noy headjoint
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Thank you very much Henke.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I don't like the embouchure cutaway. I find that it takes away some of the sweetness of tone. My Noy doesn't have an embouchure cutaway. I have a Burns Low Bb flute and I tradded in the cutaway head for one without it. I much prefer the one without it.
~JessieD
toughknot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by toughknot »

Oh Oh! I suddenly have the urge to try this tweak on my Tipple :D
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
Jonathan
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

On a similar note, does anyone know why Peter Noy use different materials for the blowhole edge?? Is it supposed to affect the sound, or is it just aesthetic, or durability, or...
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

believeit's durability
Sillydill

Embouchure Cutaways

Post by Sillydill »

I was inspired by Henke's photo to post this one.

:lol: No, this is not a flute with an Ambidextrous relieved embouchure!

This is a Mark Hoza Kything flute (Cooktown Ironwood), with a relieved embouchure and a relieved lip plate. The "dimples" on each side of the embouchure don't photograph well.

I bought this flute because I wanted to try the key of Eb. At first I didn't like the embouchure, but once you become familiar it is quite comfortable! You have to learn to stop rolling your flute. I now like this flute so much, I have a nearly identical one ordered in the key of D.

:) You'll never know if you like an embouchure with a "cutaway" unless you try one and even then you may need some time to become comfortable with it!

Keep Makin Music!

Jordan[/img]
Henke

Post by Henke »

Jonathan wrote:On a similar note, does anyone know why Peter Noy use different materials for the blowhole edge?? Is it supposed to affect the sound, or is it just aesthetic, or durability, or...
I think it's got to do with sound mostly. A harder, less porous material (as in this case) should theoretically produce a stronger, brighter sound.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

JessieK wrote:I don't like the embouchure cutaway. I find that it takes away some of the sweetness of tone. My Noy doesn't have an embouchure cutaway. I have a Burns Low Bb flute and I tradded in the cutaway head for one without it. I much prefer the one without it.
Tell me more about this flute:

How is the stretch?
Is the weight/balance awkward?
Nice sound?
Hard/Easy to fill?

I'm probably going to order one of these in A assuming my employment situation remains stable for next year. (Keep yer fingers crossed)
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
tribalwind

Post by tribalwind »

Henke wrote:
Jonathan wrote:On a similar note, does anyone know why Peter Noy use different materials for the blowhole edge?? Is it supposed to affect the sound, or is it just aesthetic, or durability, or...
I think it's got to do with sound mostly. A harder, less porous material (as in this case) should theoretically produce a stronger, brighter sound.
as a somewhat novice flutemaker ,my experience is that a crisp sharp edge gives a more pure tone,harder the material,the sharper u can make it,and will hold that crispnessas it's also more durable,whereas wood will 'water out' this is very common with other styels of flute.
i have bought/made Andean'kena' with a bone mouthpiece/sound-edge. similarly the japanese shakuhachi traditionally has a water-buffallo horn inlay (many makers choose synthetic /animal-friendly materials nowadays)
those pics are cool! i never saw this on an irish flute,though im not much experienced with them so no surprise.

on my "higher-end" native-styled flutes i use hardwood inlays for the flue,"bird",chimney and fipple/sound-edge.

:: also agree with jessieK,.
and i often enjoy some raw "breathy-gritty-ness" to my flutes ;)
Namaste ,Matthew www.tribalwind.com