Dumbest sit-com, ever!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

The Brady Bunch/Partridge Family or any of that ilk.
Alf came immediately to mind when thinking of the worst. Oh yeah and that show that Gary Coleman was in and that other one with the wierd kid with glasses. Actually, any sitcom with odd kids, usually orphans or something,always very precocious(supposedly)...... and I whole heartedly agree with whoever mentioned Full House. Awful.

I gotta say though that I loved the Bunkers, in the early years-not later when they got too preachy and self-important with their "message". I still watch a re-run occasionally.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

I can't believe there has been more than a dozen posts in this topic with nary a mention of Three's Company. This show only had two redeeming qualities, and Suzanne Somers had both of them.

I hated Green Acres back when it originally aired, but then, I was a high school student with way too much sophistication to stoop to such pedestrian humor. But now I get a kick out of its surrealism and absurdity.

And some honorable mentions -- Joanie Loves Chachi, Diff'rent Strokes (those kids turned out well), Laverne and Shirley, Mama's Family, and anything with an Olsen twin in it.

And as for Mr. Ed -- How many people know he was really not a horse?
http://www.snopes.com/lost/mistered.asp
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

"Family Matters" deserves a mention for Steve Urkle and it's general creepiness.

Most of these shows are mildly entertaining on first viewing, but after three or four episodes, the ick factor sets in. And when they're in syndication after ripening up in a back room for 10 years or so, they transform themselves into a violent purge.
I happened to catch "The Smurfs" the other day and thought, "How was I so amused by such drivel at the tender age of eight?" Sure, it wasn't too bad when all there was to watch on Saturdays was Scooby Doo . . . I couldn't follow the plots then, and I can't follow them now. I'm so confused.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Actually, I think Lucille Ball is one of the funniest people that ever lived!

Robin
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

gonzo914 wrote: And as for Mr. Ed -- How many people know he was really not a horse?
Doesn't Snopes also claim that Kentucky Fried Chicken started using just the initials because the commonwealth of Kentucky took out a trademark on the name Kentucky?
Reasonable person
Walden
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

It would be easier to list good sitcoms as most of them are terrible.

Mr. Ed was actually a unicorn. They dubbed out his horn.

Flipper was a mackeral made up like a dolphin. The stuttering laugh was a remixed hyena.

Gentle Ben was the guy from Adam's Family dressed in a monkey suit.

I like Seinfeld, Family Guy, Gilligan, Green Acres, Beverly Hillbillies, Andy Griffith, The Dick Van Dyke Show, Leave it to Beaver. That's about it.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
TomB

Post by TomB »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:
Miwokhill wrote: Mr. Ed.
Was Mr. Ed filmed in a different country? I noticed that his lips never matched up with the words.
:lol: :lol: :lol: .... and here I thought I was alone in this opinion. :lol:

Mr. Ed??? How can you not love that horse???

Wilbur!

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
dwinterfield

Re: Dumbest sit-com, ever!

Post by dwinterfield »

Walden wrote:Barring I Married Dora, Small Wonder, My Mother the Car, and Carter Country, what do you think was the dumbest television situation comedy series?

I nominate Aliens In the Family.

Adopted or biological?
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I thought I'd add that I believe Snopes is full of beans. Horses and Zebras don't look THAT much alike. And, they used peanut butter to get the horse to look like it was talking.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Walden wrote:
gonzo914 wrote: And as for Mr. Ed -- How many people know he was really not a horse?
Doesn't Snopes also claim that Kentucky Fried Chicken started using just the initials because the commonwealth of Kentucky took out a trademark on the name Kentucky?
The snopes LOST archive is kept in The Repository of Lost Legends ("TRoLL for short"), "for those of you who don't let the truth get in the way of a good story."

It becames obvious that this was a troll when the Snopes story started talking about how football players in black-in-white days would run into black/white striped refs because they were practially invisible on tv, and how to make Mr Ed look like a Zebra in the "zebra" episode, they had to convert it to color, and then back to black and white. Heh. So, I went up a level to see what section the story was placed in.

Stories in this section are fakes...jokes.
the website wrote: Note: Any relationship between these ratings and reality is purely coincidental.

BTW, The KFC/trademark story appears in this part of the Snopes archive too.
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

You mean these "sitcoms" are fictional? We on Decibela 3 have built our civilization around your historical documents "South Park" and "Married With Children", and it has saved us from chaos. It has also created family dysfunction and encouraged stark language in our youth. Correct this uneducated outlander if I am wrong: Are not the "South Park" kids larval
forms of the Bundy family?
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Wanderer wrote: It becames obvious that this was a troll when the Snopes story started talking about how football players in black-in-white days would run into black/white striped refs because they were practially invisible on tv, and how to make Mr Ed look like a Zebra in the "zebra" episode, they had to convert it to color, and then back to black and white. Heh. So, I went up a level to see what section the story was placed in.

Stories in this section are fakes...jokes.
Wanderer -- you spoiled it. I was going to keep quiet for a little longer before pointing out that the link at the bottom of the page -- the one that says "More information about this page" -- takes you directly to their page entitled "False Authority." http://www.snopes.com/lost/false.htm
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Wanderer wrote: It becames obvious that this was a troll when the Snopes story started talking about how football players in black-in-white days would run into black/white striped refs because they were practially invisible on tv, and how to make Mr Ed look like a Zebra in the "zebra" episode, they had to convert it to color, and then back to black and white. Heh. So, I went up a level to see what section the story was placed in.
Not only that, but the picture of the Zebra beside Mr. Ed with the link to see what a zebra looked like in color vs. b&w, and it went from a b$W striped zebra (no reason under heaven that the colors black and white would not show up in black and white) with upright mane to a palomino with floppy mane and a stripe down his nose.
Reasonable person
Walden
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Walden wrote:Not only that, but the picture of the Zebra beside Mr. Ed with the link to see what a zebra looked like in color vs. b&w, and it went from a b$W striped zebra (no reason under heaven that the colors black and white would not show up in black and white) with upright mane to a palomino with floppy mane and a stripe down his nose.
On the pictures, I didn't need to look any further than the ears to see that they weren't the same animal ;)
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Walden wrote:
Not only that, but the picture of the Zebra beside Mr. Ed with the link to see what a zebra looked like in color vs. b&w, and it went from a b$W striped zebra (no reason under heaven that the colors black and white would not show up in black and white) with upright mane to a palomino with floppy mane and a stripe down his nose.
I had always heard that zebras are untrainable, but I went to Google to confirm it, and it seems that a few have been trained to some extent: http://www.spotsnstripes.com/ZebraSales.htm

On the flip side, a painted horse was used in the movie "Racing Stripes". Go to http://www.horsetrails-sa.co.za/movie_horses.htm and scroll down to the bottom.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe