A Laphroaig Moment.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Phil Hardy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A Laphroaig Moment.

Post by Phil Hardy »

Hi guys,I have just finished the first week of interior demolishing at our new house,it was owned before by a woman who live like a pig,actually I've seen cleaner pigs, so everything had to go,I mean EVERYTHING,my hands are completely mashed,I have blisters on me blisters,so I have taken today off to catch up abit and to recover.
I'm just enjoying a luxurious glass of Laphroaig single malt and trying to remember how to hold a whistle....any ideas? Mmmmmmmmmm Laphroaig.
I'll be putting some more PRO-FILES up this weekend.
All the best
Phil the Builder
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: A Laphroaig Moment.

Post by brewerpaul »

Phil Hardy wrote:,my hands are completely mashed,I have blisters on me blisters,so I have taken today off to catch up abit and to recover.
I'm just enjoying a luxurious glass of Laphroaig single malt and trying to remember how to hold a whistle....any ideas? Mmmmmmmmmm Laphroaig.
Phil the Builder
Judging by the description of your hands, the way to hold a whistle is CAREFULLY.. Enjoy that Laprhroaig!
BTW-- I went to the first in this series the other night at Rensselaer Polytechnic:

Spring Music Residency with Brian Melick and Eric Marczak

Evening One: Wednesday, April 13, 8:00 PM

Evening Two: Wednesday, April 27, 8:00 PM

Evening Three: Wednesday, May 11, 8:00 PM

Evening Four: Wednesday, May 25, 8:00 PM

We wind down the musical component of our spring season with a four-part residency, where a “house band” featuring percussionist Brian Melick and flute player Eric Marczak will be joined by a series of special guests for songs, stories, improvisation and much musical magic.

Flute player is my buddy Eric and one of your old Chieftain Gold low D's figured prominently in the show. It sounded really flute-like as Eric coaxed improvisational jazz out of it. Quite excellent.
If anyone lives remotely near Troy, NY, they should try to get to these concerts. The next one features a local Celtic harpist and a truly phenomenal classical/flamenco guitarist in addition to Eric and Brian. A splendid time is guaranteed for all.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Sounds like your previous owner was a relative of the folks who'd rented OUR house from the fellow we bought it from. The house is comfortable now, but we had to steam-clean the carpets (since removed), repaint all the interior walls, and gut the bathrooms and kitchen before we could move in. God knows they drove ME nearly to drink. :evil:

At least you've got something good to ease your cares. :twisted: If you like the Laphroig (one of my favorites), you really ought start working your way through the other Islay malts (Lagavulin, Bowmore, Ardbeg, Caol Ila, . . . ) and Talisker (from Skye).

But I never dare pick up a whistle after I've had more than a dram or two - heaven knows what might come out then!

Ob Whistles: Phil, when did you modify the beak length of the Chieftains? I have a couple of older Chieftains I've picked up, a Bb and an A. The beak of the A is about 1/8" longer than the Bb, and (perhaps as a consequence) seems much more immune to clogging when cold. They're both very nice whistles, but the A gets lots more play just because I know I can make it through a set of tunes without burbling.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I had a taste of that Laphroig at a party once. It tasted like there was a burnt piece of wood or smoked meat or something in it. Didn't care for it. (Sorry, I have no class.) Now, if we're talking Tullamore Dew...mmmm.
Tony
Then there was that poitin that Bonequint brought over for the party. Limuhead aptly described it as magic marker flavored. I kind of liked that.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

TonyHiggins wrote:I had a taste of that Laphroig at a party once. It tasted like there was a burnt piece of wood or smoked meat or something in it. Didn't care for it. (Sorry, I have no class.) Now, if we're talking Tullamore Dew...mmmm.
Tony
Then there was that poitin that Bonequint brought over for the party. Limuhead aptly described it as magic marker flavored. I kind of liked that.
Tony
Class? Me? Have you been at the poitin again? Tony, you *know* me and I can't believe you're serious!

I like the Laphroig and other smoky/peaty malts, but I love Tullamore Dew, Jamesons, and . . . poitin, too. The big, peaty, malts are for when I want something to sip at, slowly, for a long time. Poitin (and Slivovitz, another guilty pleasure) are for when I want a dram with authority. :twisted:

But like I said - two drams and I put the whistle firmly down. There are banshees that'd cover their ears at the sound I make when I've had more!
mukade

Post by mukade »

I have a 10-year Ardbeg decorating my desk right now.

The peats are difficult to get into, but once you get the taste, it is difficult to go back.

Mukade
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

mukade wrote:I have a 10-year Ardbeg decorating my desk right now.

The peats are difficult to get into, but once you get the taste, it is difficult to go back.

Mukade
that is right. i totally love all my peaty-smokey malts. :) :)
monkey587
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by monkey587 »

mukade wrote:I have a 10-year Ardbeg decorating my desk right now.

Mukade
I love all ardbeg.

My philosophy is that alcohol should taste like it's bad for you!
William Bajzek
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Lagavulin
At night, in those corners of our minds we deny by day, magical things can happen in the moon shadows. And if they can't, a) they should, and b) we should always in any event act as if they can. --Roger Ebert
amar

Post by amar »

Ridseard wrote:Lagavulin
pity they don't market the 16year any longer..
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

amar wrote:
I have a bottle. Well, half of one anyway. Got it in Spain. I'll save a dram for you, Swissdood. Frankly I prefer the Cragganmore, though Highland Park is a contender.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
amar

Post by amar »

GaryKelly wrote:
amar wrote:
I have a bottle. Well, half of one anyway. Got it in Spain. I'll save a dram for you, Swissdood. Frankly I prefer the Cragganmore, though Highland Park is a contender.
thanks gary, still got some stashed away too, cragganmore too, highland park too...
Phil Hardy

Lowden and Laphroaig

Post by Phil Hardy »

Just having a Lowden and Laphroaig moment.
I picked up a lovely Lowden 010 2 weeks ago and can't put it down,it has replaced the Taylor 814.
The guitar and the single malt go very well together.
For those of you who know not a Lowden,it's the best DADGAD guitar going.
I am a tierd but happy bunny.
Phil.
ps CLANSMAN...great name.
amar

Re: Lowden and Laphroaig

Post by amar »

Phil Hardy wrote:Just having a Lowden and Laphroaig moment.
I picked up a lovely Lowden 010 2 weeks ago and can't put it down,it has replaced the Taylor 814.
The guitar and the single malt go very well together.
For those of you who know not a Lowden,it's the best DADGAD guitar going.
I am a tierd but happy bunny.
Phil.
ps CLANSMAN...great name.

:D
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Here in the semi-drained swamps of Southern MD, the time of year before the rotting vegetation starts to really smell, I am enjoying one of the favorite So Md imported beers, a sassy number called Michelob. We dont have the Renzalier Instiute but we do entertain ourselves with who can do the best impersonation of Lynndie England.

Phil et al.,: What is a beak?
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.