Art, treason or terrorism?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MarkB

Art, treason or terrorism?

Post by MarkB »

Feds probe politically charged art exhibit
Secret Service focuses interest on provocative image of Bush

From MSMBC

In part: "The Associated Press
Updated: 8:38 p.m. ET April 12, 2005

CHICAGO - The Secret Service sent agents to investigate a college art gallery exhibit of mock postage stamps, one depicting President Bush with a gun pointed at his head.

The exhibit, called “Axis of Evil: The Secret History of Sin,” opened last week at Columbia College in Chicago. It features stamps designed by 47 artists addressing issues such as the Roman Catholic sex abuse scandal, racism and the war in Iraq.

None of the artists is tied to the college.

Secret Service spokesman Tom Mazur would not say Tuesday whether the inquiry had been completed or whom the Secret Service had interviewed, but he said no artwork had been confiscated.

The investigation began after authorities received a call from a Chicago resident."

Full story here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7480455/

Sometimes things should only be thought of never acted on.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
MurphyStout
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by MurphyStout »

I'm not going to touch this subject. It would be interesting to see if it went into large scale print. I wonder how many americans would buy it.
No I'm not returning...
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

MurphyStout wrote:I'm not going to touch this subject.
You just did... :wink:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Well. That is offensive.

Robin
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

A little over the top? Maybe. Covered by the First Amendment? Definitely. I can't believe law enforcement would pursue something like this when there are real criminals and terrorists to worry about.

I heard something very scary a few weeks ago. A poll of high-school students had been taken, and something like 2/3 of them thought free speech shouldn't be a right.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Very poor taste, but protected.

It does seem that a lot of modern artists figure that *any* attention is good, and confuse "deliberately offensive" with "good".

The best defense against this sort of "art", though - is not to buy it.
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

Another reason to cut funding to the ah, "arts".

Do tax dollars go to pay for this garbage labeled as "art" ?

I do know art when I see it. This isn't art.
IRTradRU?
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

IRTradRU? wrote:Another reason to cut funding to the ah, "arts".

I want more funding for the eh, "arts." Not that care for fake stamps with guns pointing at heads. But I don't care for people running around calling stuff garbage, either, or bantering for funding cuts for everything they don't "know" when they "see" it. In fact, I'd prefer offensive stamps over government funding only for majority-approved seen-and-known inoffensive stuff.

The important democratic effect is that the garbage-labellers get to practice what they preach: They want freedom of speech, they can have it. Let's put our money where our mouth is and fund "art" we don't like. It will make us stronger as a nation.
/Bloomfield
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

IRTradRU? wrote:Another reason to cut funding to the ah, "arts".

Right, TradR... instead of funding the arts -- let's give more money to the art of killing.

Uh oh, I think I might have accidentally stumbled onto the artist's statement.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Bad art, but art nonetheless. The guy's a moron, but he's got a right to make stupid art if he wants to make stupid art. I'm no fan of George Bush, but I don't think shooting him is a viable solution to this country's problems.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Secret Service spokesman Tom Mazur would not say Tuesday whether the inquiry had been completed or whom the Secret Service had interviewed, but he said no artwork had been confiscated.

The investigation began after authorities received a call from a Chicago resident.

?We need to ensure, as best we can, that this is nothing more than artwork with a political statement,? Mazur said.

Well at least the principle that political statements are kosher,
despite the violent implications, is accepted. And you know,
we've had a lot of people assassinated, JFK, Bobby K,
Reagan almost (not to mention MLK, George Wallace (almost)),
and one might see this as bordering on incitement to violence.
These guy's job is to protect the president.

But they should have left it alone. How does one ensure
that this is nothing more than artwork with a political
statement? How could it be anything more?
Rather a chilling effect on content.
Does anybody remember the joke, popular during the
Reagan Admin: 'Lee Harvey Oswald, where are you
now that we need you?'

Talking about chilling effects, though, public funding for
arts does have its problems--If the taxpayers fund art
and the artwork is somebody peeing on the
American flag, the patron can understandably
wish to withdraw funding. If you wanto do that
sort of art, it's prudent not to expect to do it
at taxpayer's expense. And when the taxpayers
wish to withdraw funding, the cry 'Censorship!'
rings hollow, IMO. Doonesbury had some good
stuff on this.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Art [n] 1. the creation of beautiful or significant things; 2. the products of human creativity; 3. a superior skill that you can learn by study and practice and observation; 4. photographs or other visual representations in a printed publication.

Treason [n] 1. an act of deliberate betrayal; 2. a crime that undermines the offender's government; 3. disloyalty by virtue of subversive behavior.

Terrorism [n] the systematic use of violence as a means to intimidate or coerce societies or governments.

Guess it's art. And begs questions such as "who's holding the gun?" "Is Bush being coerced, and if so by whom and why, or is he about to be assassinated, and if so by whom and why?" What's the significance between the images and the text ("Patriot Act"), and is '37' a Masonic code, biblical reference, or a date?

I think it's heartening that secret services can be inspired and so moved by art to ask such questions of themselves and others.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Jeff Stallard

Post by Jeff Stallard »

If someone published a picture of you with a gun to your head, would that constitute a threat to your person? I certainly would. Last I checked, making threats is a no-no.
"Reality is the computer hardware, and religions are the operating systems: abstractions that allow us to interact with, and draw meaning from, a reality that would otherwise be incomprehensible."
JS

Post by JS »

Lawrence Ferlinghetti--no slouch himself at getting controversial art into the public mind; everybody with one of those old black and white City Lights editions of "Howl" somewhere on the bookshelf, dust it off and read the first few pages aloud at breakfast in celebration of Nat'l Poetry Month!--used to argue that independent publishers shouldn't accept government funding, since it always carried with it at least an implied pressure to conform to acceptable standards.

That's a reasonable debate, but I'm never sure how to respond to the "I don't like this piece of work, therefore the government should never fund the arts" line of argument. Often these examples seem to me offered because the speaker thinks that government should, in fact, never fund the arts. Well, as a character in a William Burroughs novel says, that's a point of view, but to my mind it's one that leads to a real possibility of cultural impoverishment, where works of cultural value are left largely at the mercy of a marketplace that, because economies of scale are involved, is only likely to support stuff with the broadest appeal. (I'm not just talking about operas and symphonies here; check out the wonderful stuff about American folk music or the photo archives preserved and made readily available through the Library of Congress site.) If, like me, you see a good deal of good coming out of even our current very limited government arts funding, then the production of a few works that might be seen as disturbing seems less a fatal flaw than an unintended consequence.

That said, full disclosure probably means that I should say that I'm a former NEA fellow in literature, and that I'm very grateful for the assistance that grant provided in getting my second book finished.

JS
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

The exhibit’s curator, Michael Hernandez de Luna, said the inquiry “frightens” him.

“It starts questioning all rights, not only my rights or the artists’ rights in this room, but questioning the rights of any artist who creates — any writer, any visual artist, any performance artist. It seems like we’re being watched,” he said.
Sounds like terrorism to me. :)
Last spring, Secret Service agents in Washington state questioned a high school student about antiwar drawings he did for an art class, one of which depicted Bush’s head on a stick.
Government should not fund this kind of “art”. High school should have all “art” classes removed. :P
GaryKelly wrote:I think it's heartening that secret services can be inspired and so moved by art to ask such questions of themselves and others.
Two federal agents arrived at the exhibit’s opening night Thursday, took photos of some of the works and asked for the artists’ contact information
It does not give the agents the right to violate copyright law by illegally duplicating the art. Speaking of copyright, the government has been supporting all the arts with this protection for far too long. Only when there is no incentive to write offensive tunes like "I Buried My Wife and Danced on Top of Her" will they stop.

I promised myself that I would contribute nothing to this discussion and I think that I have adequately fulfilled my promise. :P
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."