"Is there anything else I can help you with?"

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

"Is there anything else I can help you with?"

Post by Martin Milner »

So I'm trying to book a train ticket online, using the National Rail Enquiries site. They can tell me the timetable and ticket availablility, but since privatisation, cannot actually sell me a ticket. For that I have to be linked to another site for one of five different vendors, who apparently can all sell me the same ticket for the same train journey at the same price. No comment.

Problem is, none of the five links are working. I resort to the telephone, and ring the company that I've used before.

After going through the electronic switchboard (and don't we all hate those?) I get to a sales lady, who informs me that the systems are currently down, and I will have to try again in an hour. Aha, this explains why I couldn't buy a ticket online.

Then I hear the mysterious line..."Is there anything else I can help you with?"

My mind goes into spasms. I rang to buy a train ticket, and she can't currently sell me one. What else could she possibly do for me?

My confused brain shuts down, and I can't think of a single witty line. Given time to think, and a less ghasted flabber, I might have said something like "I'd like to put a fiver each way on 'My Fair Lady' in the 3:30 at Ascot..."

OK, that's a bit weak. Any suggestions?
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
GaryKelly

Re: "Is there anything else I can help you with?"

Post by GaryKelly »

Martin Milner wrote: Then I hear the mysterious line..."Is there anything else I can help you with?"
"Oh yes, while you're on the line... Have you seen my spare back door key? It was on top of the fridge last time I looked but it's not there now."
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Martin Milner wrote:Then I hear the mysterious line..."Is there anything else I can help you with?"
Any suggestions?
That's easy Martin. Every time a newbie asks a whistle/flute/UP question just note it down and you'll soon have an excellent list of queries they can help you with.
Also, if you get any door to door salesmen come round or telesales people ring you up you can start at the top of the list and work your through. You could even give them a patience rating from how long it takes them to run away or hang up.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Martin Milner wrote:
Have you seen my spare back door key? It was on top of the fridge last time I looked but it's not there now."
Hummm you're the second person on this board to lose their keys. Is this a trend?

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

ask her to help you decide which lowD to buy next. :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Reply: "Yes. My angst."
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

I usually just ask, "Well, are you a licensed psychiatrist?"

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Martin Milner wrote:"Is there anything else I can help you with?"
Do you have any flabber de-ghaster?
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Martin Milner wrote:My confused brain shuts down, and I can't think of a single witty line. Given time to think, and a less ghasted flabber, I might have said something like "I'd like to put a fiver each way on 'My Fair Lady' in the 3:30 at Ascot..."
Add, "here's your sign" to the end of that and it sounds perfect to me - and it occurs to me that, unless you're getting blue-collar TV off the satellite you probably haven't the foggiest notion what I'm on about. :)
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.