From The Onion: What are we writing off?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

From The Onion: What are we writing off?

Post by Dale »

I myself am filing an extension. Again.
Lambchop
antispam: No

Re: From The Onion: What are we writing off?

Post by Lambchop »

DaleWisely wrote:Image

I myself am filing an extension. Again.
Moi, aussi. :oops:

I'm afraid it has become a tradition. But it's solely out of consideration for my accountant, you understand. It helps even out the year if she deals with me in August.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

We finally got our taxes done last week.

When I was single I used to have them done and in by the first week in February. When I first got married it used to drive me nuts the way my husband waits until the last second. I'm finally getting used to filing way late in the season though - but it's taken almost 18 years.

It takes my husband more time to fill out the paperwork since he has to take inventory (he owns a used book store) and has to fill out the self-employment forms - no more 1040 EZ for me!

Every year he says a flat tax with no exemptions would be so much easier and fairer - and he's right (for a change). :)
Charlene
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I got my federal one done but I have to do an amendment before doing my state taxes. Fortunately as a non-resident of Utah I get an automatic extension for the state one.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Charlene wrote:We finally got our taxes done last week.

When I was single I used to have them done and in by the first week in February. When I first got married it used to drive me nuts the way my husband waits until the last second. I'm finally getting used to filing way late in the season though - but it's taken almost 18 years.

It takes my husband more time to fill out the paperwork since he has to take inventory (he owns a used book store) and has to fill out the self-employment forms - no more 1040 EZ for me!

Every year he says a flat tax with no exemptions would be so much easier and fairer - and he's right (for a change). :)
Sounds like you could be married to me. I have been known to procrastinate. But, nothing, NOTHING, provokes more of that behavior in me than (not) doing the taxes. My wife sometimes makes it clear she wants it done by 4/15 and other years just waits to see what I'll do and then gets aggravated at me when I file the extension.

I agree with him that I think a flat tax or a federal sales tax or SOMETHING would be better than this. But, it's not going to happen. There's too large of a tax-preparation industry to lobby against any real reform.

Dale
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I'm pathetic. I did my taxes the first week of February, owed the Fed a bit and have paid it already. Can't stand to have it hanging over my head.

Susan
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Does everybody in the US have to fill in a tax return?
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

jbarter wrote:Does everybody in the US have to fill in a tax return?
Pretty much. There are a few exceptions; if you make under a ridiculously low amount per year, or I think if your main income is veteran's or social security benefits, you don't, everyone else does.

--James
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Wow. Three cheers for P.A.Y.E.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Montana

Post by Montana »

Everyone that made more than $500 in a year has to file (if an employer pays someone less than $500 in a year, they don't have to file a W-2 or 4 or whatever form it is for income tax).
What's P.A.Y.E?
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

If you make a ridiculously low amount per year but you had tax money automatically removed from your paycheck (as is usually the case) you'll want to file anyway. And some college students don't file (either they haven't made any money the previous calendar year or they don't care that they're supposed to file), or they get their parents to do it for them. This can backfire, as I know some 26-year-olds who still don't know how to file for themselves.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Montana wrote:Everyone that made more than $500 in a year has to file (if an employer pays someone less than $500 in a year, they don't have to file a W-2 or 4 or whatever form it is for income tax).
That amount must not have changed since 1962. In my first six months in the Army, I made $462. That was my total income for 1962, and I didn't have to file a return. :party:
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-Mortgage interest ( Bless the mortgage interest deduction! )

-State sales tax deduction (-First year Washington state folks have been able to do this)

-Fact-finding mission to Bora Bora hideaway establishing baseline info on Pacific economic zones :wink:
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-duplicate post deleted-
Last edited by brianormond on Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wjndbag

Civic Duty!

Post by Wjndbag »

I don't envy you USA guys your tax system. I pay GYAW, which is the one that Gets You All Ways. I notice our Treasury chief, Gordon Brown, gets fatter and more Scottish every Budget day, so it must be doing some good.

Carolan (the sight-impaired Harper of Ould Oireland) asked for a Braille tax form and they fobbed him off with a sheet of coarse sandpaper.

One way to avoid tax is to earn nothing....or travel the world.