So close, but so far.....

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Band Nerd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

So close, but so far.....

Post by Band Nerd »

OK. I've finally decided to save up for a flute. Now the question is which one? I want something nice, but probably not over $400. I haven't started saving up yet :lol: .

I've looked at the M&E polymer, but my computer wouldn't pull up a sound sample. I've also looked at Sweetheart, and also at Healy.

Does anyone have any good suggestions or preferences of their favorite flute (within the said price range)? Thanks.

Collin
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

Take a look over on E Bay. There are lots of them .
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
eilam

Post by eilam »

Jon, C. burns, Seery............
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

M&E all the way! Do a forum search and you should end up with plenty of info and soundclips. I have two posted on Clips and Snips under flutes, and James Peeples has plenty (much better clips) of both M&E original and R&R flutes.
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

If you're going to spend under $400, you can take Healy off your list. New, they start at $750 ( http://www.skiphealy.com/frames/main/in ... 2piece.htm ). I happened to be very lucky and got a 3 piece keyless for much less than his list price, though still more than $400, but new, they start at $1000.
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Not a flute player, but that doesn’t mean I won’t share my opinion. :)

If you are planning on getting an expensive flute in the long run, a plastic M&E (or other plastic flute) might be a good option because when you get your “expensive” flute you can always use the M&E in tougher conditions.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
eilam

Post by eilam »

ebay is to much of a risk to take if you're putting it all on the line.
a Delrin (or PVC) flute will have it's place, even if later on you get a wooden/better flute.
go with plastic as your first flute.
e.
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

Seery all the way!

I've had 2 keyed M&E flutes and also have played on a Seery for 5 years and, it's obviously just MY opinion, the Seery is a lot more constant, in tune, lighter, easier to play, also possible to had keys on, and Mr Seery is also a very good fellow. This doesn't criticize anything from Mr Cronnolly work, I just prefer the Seery so much ...

Leo
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

Or you could save a little more and get an entry-level Olwell. I'm pretty sure those are still under $600.

If it's between a Seery and an M&E, I'd go with the Seery.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I still wanna try someone's M&E R&R so I can compare, but I love my Seery to this day. Played it outside during lunch today, and man it sounds good.

Eric
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Re: So close, but so far.....

Post by michael_coleman »

Band Nerd wrote:OK. I've finally decided to save up for a flute. Now the question is which one? I want something nice, but probably not over $400. I haven't started saving up yet :lol: .

I've looked at the M&E polymer, but my computer wouldn't pull up a sound sample. I've also looked at Sweetheart, and also at Healy.

Does anyone have any good suggestions or preferences of their favorite flute (within the said price range)? Thanks.

Collin
I echo Eilam, you ought to think about getting a Delrin flute from Jon C. If I wasn't accustomed to my M&E I'd probably go with a Rudall model out of delrin....
norseman

Post by norseman »

Jayhawk wrote:I still wanna try someone's M&E R&R so I can compare, but I love my Seery to this day. Played it outside during lunch today, and man it sounds good.

Eric
Well, if you can make to a session in Chandler AZ tonight, you can try mine. :party:

Bob
Failure is NOT an option - it comes bundled with the software.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Well, if you can make to a session in Chandler AZ tonight, you can try mine. party

Bob
Sure thing Bob! I'll be there...just ask everyone to hang around till I drive up - should be sometime late Saturday/early Sunday. :D

Eric
anton

Jon C

Post by anton »

Who is Jon C. you guys mention? Does he make Delrin flutes?

anton
demon_piper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

cheaper flute

Post by demon_piper »

Buying used is a great idea, and posting a want add on this forum is a great way to do it.

I've owned Copeland, Hoza, Hamilton, Seery, M&E and Dixon flutes.

To be honest the Seery was the best, and the one I still play. Its not even one of his new ones, its an old used one I paid $300 for. I've played it in concerts all over, its scratched up, and I keep it in my backpack (and occassionally my patrol pack, I'm a soldier). It sounds great and never breaks.

The Dixon was less of a finger reach, and a good choice as well. The rest are all more expensive than $400, and to be honest, I didn't like them as much.

Good luck finding something good. I however, second the above Seery rocks!