Many Uilleann pipers have lost their only contacts w/others

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Paddy Finn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Paddy Finn »

for the mean time, theres a GHb forum. it may not be a great replacement. but if you want to talk about pipes, instead of internet dictatorship this is the place
http://rmartin.proboards23.com/
note: its a bit quiet there. so speek, join, and post. and it may be a temporary (hopefully) substitute for this forum....

All the best

Finn
....oh mother dear, i'm over here. And I never will come back, for what keeps me here's the reek o' beer, the ladies and the craic.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

DaleWisely wrote:People like yourself and Peter Labam, who are actually able to think clearly, have made it clear that what seemed like a simple matter really isn't and probably, if the board were to be permanently locked, the posts would just have to languish there.
So being a techie goes hand in hand with mental clarity?
I prefer PCPPEP format myself.
It is true, all the action has moved over here. The Uilleann pipes mailing list couldn't be deader these days.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

To hopefully clarify for some as well - if you look at the three instruments focused on here, Irish whistle, Irish flute and Irish pipes, all are highly similar in their play, fingerings, construction and musical styles (ie:ornamentation). many pipers use the whistle as a sort of 'practice chanter', and most flute players also play whistle as well. These are natural connections.

When one wanders into the world of fiddles, bodhráns, concertinas and the like - it's a whole different ball game. The music may be the same, but there are fundamental differences in the instruments that separate them from the whistle. I recall asking Dale when we started this board that since the whistle was our way of practicing when we couldn't strap in to a set of pipes, so could we please have a pipe board as well? It seemed to start out well enough anyway...

I still commend Dale for allowing the forum in the first place, and hope to see some positive growth out of all this. But who knows...maybe we've just reached a critical mass now?
Beauford T Rosemondt III

Post by Beauford T Rosemondt III »

ChrisA wrote:
mukade wrote:
As you seem to have some of the strongest views about the forum, I would like to hear your opinions.

What kind of discourse would you like to see if the forum returns?

Mukade
There's a very important saying to keep in mind at times like this.

"Don't feed the trolls."

--Chris
I should also note that those who make reference to "Trolls" on open pub forums are only one shade above those who would criticize others for being "off topic" on same, and essentially serve the purpose of an actual "Troll" on any other forum. It's probably this sort of role reversal that Dale finds so troubling in the uillean pipe community.

Now, has everyone at the session got their official tune arrangements organized into their little plastic binders...?
BTRIII
Beauford T Rosemondt III

Post by Beauford T Rosemondt III »

Antaine wrote:
Beauford T Rosemondt III wrote:
mukade wrote: As you seem to have some of the strongest views about the forum, I would like to hear your opinions.

What kind of discourse would you like to see if the forum returns?

Mukade
My opinion is that anyone who feels compelled to either assert an opinion or to solicit an opinion upon the advance of said forum, or any need for there to be any debate or discourse about the type, tone, or content of discourse in the formation or operation of any open, public group dedicated to the discussion of any topic whatsoever should stay the hell away from any uilleann pipe community on any level.

Other than that I'm open.

(Copyright (P) (C) 2005 BT Rosemondt

eeeeehhhhh...but a forum is not a scripted "rant" session à la Denis Leary, but a discussion. One shouldn't confuse "a free exchange of ideas" with "a free exchange of language" - in a forum (be it on the internet or in person) 'ideas' (even critical ones) are fine, but they must be framed in language that engenders a respectful exchange, not that simply berates, intimidates or ridicules a person...that (esp. intimidation) is as antithetical to "free speech" as less veiled forms of censorship.
I rest my case.
BTRIII
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

hey, I just didn't want you to think I was running around behind your back trying to get you thrown off the forum. That seemed to be what you indicated you thought happened, and I can see how that would be reasonable to assume. I haven't anything personal against you.
{][_||_______||_][___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__]]_]
         \\
           \\
Caj

Post by Caj »

Beauford T Rosemondt III wrote: I rest my case.
Good. We've already gone 12 pages.

Caj
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Most of the email and PM I've gotten during the Lockout of '05 has been encouraging, helpful, constructive and supportive. And a handful contain more vicious and hateful language than I've experienced if you add up all of the communications I've had from whistlers and flute players in 9 years. I'm, it turns out, "terrorist" (twice), a "dictator" (3 times), "typically American worrier" (once), and I "disgust" at least one person. I've had a peculiarly large number of people who threatened me along the lines of having all the pipers leave my "business". Yikes, I respond, there goes my livelihood.

Thanks to Claire Wisely for the original photo and Peter M for the modification.

The forum should be unlocked tomorrow. The rules about civility and the rules against "slagging" apply. Those of you have slagged me in writing can be assured that the experience has made me all the more certain of the need to disallow it.

The Pepsi rule applies and stands as evidence that you can be candid and honest and even negative without embarrassing yourself and/or your mothers.

It's been real, y'all.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Too little too late. Someone has already taken a third of your congregation and headed down to earth. Turn the archives into a book. Call it The Up and Ups Bible. :)
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Lorenzo wrote:Too little too late. Someone has already taken a third of your congregation and headed down to earth.
May they land softly.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Paddy Finn wrote:for the mean time, theres a GHb forum. it may not be a great replacement. but if you want to talk about pipes, instead of internet dictatorship this is the place
http://rmartin.proboards23.com/
note: its a bit quiet there. so speek, join, and post. and it may be a temporary (hopefully) substitute for this forum....

All the best

Finn
You've been a member of the UP forum for 3 weeks. You don't know me well enough to call me a dictator. My FRIENDS...now THEY can call me a dictator, 'cause they know me.
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Are the interns taking dictation again? How nice.
Paddy Finn

Post by Paddy Finn »

cheers mate
mabey you arnt
:admin: :admin: :admin: :admin: :admin: :admin: :admin: :admin:

i dont know what do you thin yes or no? :adminok: :adminno:
....oh mother dear, i'm over here. And I never will come back, for what keeps me here's the reek o' beer, the ladies and the craic.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

DaleWisely wrote: I'm, it turns out, "terrorist" (twice)...

Thanks to Claire Wisely for the original photo and Peter M for the modification.
... yes, you do have that 'wild eyed', gaunt faced, tense necked aura about you that, as I understand it, is a must in order to be considered a TRUE terrorist. Congratulations, and I wish you every success as a leading member of the "C&F Decency Liberation Front".