Looking for a new whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Steve-o
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Looking for a new whistle

Post by Steve-o »

Hey everyone. I am currently looking for a new whistle. I am now playing on a clair body with a whitecap, and while I like the sound, it makes a squeaking noise when i switch octaves unless there is a very pronounced increase in breath. I do not know if this is usual with whitecaps, or just on mine, but either way I am looking to get another whistle. I am on somewhat of a budget, so I am looking to keep this down to around $50 or so. Thanks everyone.
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

I've liked the couple of Jerry Freeman tweaked Generations I've tried. Any of his whistles would fit your budget, actually.
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Tintin wrote:I've liked the couple of Jerry Freeman tweaked Generations I've tried. Any of his whistles would fit your budget, actually.
Seconded
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

StewySmoot wrote:
Tintin wrote:I've liked the couple of Jerry Freeman tweaked Generations I've tried. Any of his whistles would fit your budget, actually.
Seconded
Thirded.

Another possibility is Syn. Mine is great. You can get them from the Gaelic Crossings store. $41 for hi D or C, $48 for D and C bodies with a single head.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

One of my favorite inexpensive whistles is a Feadog with a sticky Tac tweak. It used to squeak ocassionally but it is much better now.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I like Jerry's Mellow Dog FAR MORE than his tweaked Generation. I think it's an excellent choice.

A whistle made by Tony Dixon is another idea.
~JessieD
piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

i dont think the issue you are having regarding octaves is usual with whitecaps. did you ask mac? is the fit to the tube OK? there may be a simple solution.

meir
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I've never had a problem with any whitecaps either. Might want to contact Mack and ask about it, or have some other whistlers give it a try and see what they think. You could also try removing the head and giving it a clean, maybe something got in there.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Re: Looking for a new whistle

Post by Unseen122 »

[quote="Steve-o"]I am currently looking for a new whistle. [quote]

Aren't we all?

I seconded a Dixon. I have heard many good things about the Freeman tweakeds but have never tried one.
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

What are the sounds differences between the tweaked mellow dog and the generations? How do they compare to the Dixon?
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

A tweaked Mellow Dog has a purer and more open sound than a tweaked Generation. The wide bore is responsible for the more open sound, and the way I voice them is responsible for the pure/sweet timbre.

A tweaked Generation is a fairly pure/sweet whistle in its own right, but a tweaked Mellow Dog is more so. I've voiced the tweaked Generations to match as closely as possible the Generations that were made before they changed their injection molding tooling in the early 1980's. Tweaked Generations are purer/sweeter than off the shelf current Generations, but as I said, tweaked Mellow Dogs are purer/sweeter still.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I agree with the others. The maker of your whitecap will try to help you
with your whistle.

Hey it is good to see Jerry in here again.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Re: Looking for a new whistle

Post by Wanderer »

Steve-o wrote:Hey everyone. I am currently looking for a new whistle. I am now playing on a clair body with a whitecap, and while I like the sound, it makes a squeaking noise when i switch octaves unless there is a very pronounced increase in breath. I do not know if this is usual with whitecaps, or just on mine, but either way I am looking to get another whistle. I am on somewhat of a budget, so I am looking to keep this down to around $50 or so. Thanks everyone.
Steve,

I'm evaluating a Whitecap on an Oak body. It's a little squeaky, too.

When I get home, I'm going to try some cork grease between the Whitecap and the body to see if that helps improve things. Last whistle I had that squeaked the same way was due to a very tiny air leak that I was able to find and correct. I'll let you know how I make out.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I found a little tiny speck of something (maybe plastic, maybe packing foam) in the windway..I cleared it out, and used cork grease on my whistle body where it meets the head.

No more squeaks :)
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

I agree especially with the choice of Dixon. I have a couple (low G also very nice) but the alluminum barrel one for about 50 bucks is possibly my favorite whistle.

mike