Google's Gone Local (new satellite photo feature)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Google's Gone Local (new satellite photo feature)

Post by Lorenzo »

Anyone tried zooming in on their house? I just did. The closest I could get was about the entire block. Go to http://www.google.com/ home page and click on "Localnew" and type in your city plus some local feature like a store, restaurant, or school. First zoom in on the road map, then click on "satellite," then zoom in with the + or pan right and left the <> buttons.

Photos are about a year old so there's no real-time spying as with video cams. What good is it? It's like MapQuest on one hand, but also pinpoints the features you type in on the search. If you live out in the country, you could spy on your neighbors and get a picture of what all they're up to. I suppose if you were going kayaking down a new river, you could explore the route in advance and see where all the falls and rapids were. Possibilities are endless.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

"For now, Google Local only searches for locations in the United States and Canada."

:roll:
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Rats! Even if I use your link I still only get the UK version of Google which doesn't seem to have this feature. I really wanted to know what Martin, Gary, and Dubh were up to a year ago. :D
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Cool. I can't see my house (too many trees?) but I can make out a few of the neighboring businesses. By the way, Lorenzo, looks like you've got a loose roof tile near the SE corner of your house.

Dale
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Now that I come to think of it, I heard a rumour that the USG was contemplating 'switching off' GPS satellites, or otherwise making them unavailable for public use, on the grounds of Homeland Security. Now, I stress it was a rumour I heard, just after I bought my GPS navigator (typical!).

But it does make I wonder what 'they' think of fairly recent satellite imagery (quite detailed from the sound of it) being made publicly available like this too.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

That's pretty cool. I've used terraserver for years but this is easier to navigate, more recent images plus better quality.

I see two cars in my driveway. One in my spot and the other in the misc spot. That means my wife wasn't home but I was and someone else was there. My daughters? My nephew? Who could it be?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Flyingcursor wrote:I see two cars in my driveway. One in my spot and the other in the misc spot. That means my wife wasn't home but I was and someone else was there. My daughters? My nephew? Who could it be?
Hmmm. I expect your missus will be wondering the same thing!!! :o
Darwin

Re: Google's Gone Local (new satellite photo feature)

Post by Darwin »

Lorenzo wrote:then click on "satellite,"
Going for "Charley's Guitar Shop" in Dallas, TX (which shows up with the label 'B' in the map), I don't get any link or button for "satellite". What am I doing wrong?
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

It's in the tray just under the road map. Left side will say "Larger Picture" and on the right "Satellite."
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

All I am seeing is larger picture and driving directions... No satellite anywhere
emmline

Post by emmline »

Looks like something from an electron microscope once you get up close. My street blends into the rest of the vague gray stuff.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

NicoMoreno wrote:All I am seeing is larger picture and driving directions... No satellite anywhere
I just double checked. Just under the opening map, it actually says (on the left) "View Larger Map," and "Map - Satellite" (on the right).

I'll try Fergus, Ontario and see what options it gives. It may be different in your area.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

You can also get to this by going to http://maps.google.com. Then center the area you want to view and zoom in. You can switch between map and satallite with the links on the upper right.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I saw my house but I wasn't home.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

like most Google things, you must have IE 5.5 or higher...

Since I am using 5.1 or something similar... well you get it.

I was checking it out using another computer here at work... pretty cool!