Q about buying Used whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
stratochicnic
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Q about buying Used whistles

Post by stratochicnic »

Maybe it's just me...but isn't there the whole issue of saliva when you buy used whistles? Or do people sanitize the fipples before they trade them? Just curious :)
-- Nicki

"Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn." - Charlie Parker
Darwin

Re: Q about buying Used whistles

Post by Darwin »

stratochicnic wrote:Maybe it's just me...but isn't there the whole issue of saliva when you buy used whistles?
But that's the yummiest part... :lol:
Or do people sanitize the fipples before they trade them? Just curious :)
Well, you can always do that after you get one. I use antibacterial dish soap for anti-condensation purposes, so I haven't been too worried about it. I have four pre-owned whistles, and I haven't caught anything so far.

On the other hand, at the West Coast C&F gathering last June, there was a tremendous amount of handing whistles around. I do think that I saw some folks applying alcohol, but that might not have been for sanitization. :P
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
vomitbunny
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Just add water.
Makes its own sauce.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Duffy

Re: Q about buying Used whistles

Post by Duffy »

stratochicnic wrote: Or do people sanitize the fipples before they trade them?
Seems to be a matter of personal choice. Stores and vendors almost always use some type of alcohol wipe. I've never heard of anyone catching anything but I'm sure its possiible with immediate transfer.

I have noticed that when whistlers gather, they seem to freely swap and share instruments. Personally when swapping whistle around, I keep hoping I catch a little talent.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Darwin wrote:But that's the yummiest part...
Eeeeeeeew! Yuck!!!!!!!

I also run a soapy solution through my mouthpiece when I am done playing for the same reason Darwin does. I think you could quite safely (metal whistle only) dip the whole whistle in and out of soapy water a few times, then rinse and dry the outside. I don't think I would assume that the seller had sanitized the fipple. :lol:
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Uhmm, the buyer can always sanitize the whistle however she sees fit.

Germs are really not an issue -- one of the most effective ways to kill a germ is to dry it out, which would certainly happen in the cargo hold of a plane if it didn't happen already.

I've bought a couple dozen used whistles, and no complaints. Also, any handmade whistle will have been played by the maker.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Now we know why Amar only buys his used whistles from pretty girls...

;)
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

A clean whistle is a happy whistle.

It is a courtesy for the seller to clean it before sending, and a good practice for the receiver to clean and inspect it. I use bleach.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Plastics and metal clean easily, but be careful with wood! A little MILD soapy water would be OK, but dry it right afterwards. Get the soapy water only on the actual mouth parts, not the whole whistle.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
stratochicnic

Post by stratochicnic »

Thanks for the replies.

I like Duffy's attitude with sharing whistles...hoping to catch some talent :) I feel that way about guitars :D

So in terms of cleaning your fipple, dipping it in soapy solution seems to work?
-- Nicki

"Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn." - Charlie Parker
miffle

Post by miffle »

I keep all mine fippleside down in a crock of Jameson's.
Switching frequently, I find that my playing gets better and better.

miffle
Geraint

Post by Geraint »

Of course, lots of shops will let people try their whistles too, which can give rise to the same santitising situation. I spent the best part of an hour trying some a couple of weeks ago - the owner said that it was nice to hear them being played (tho whether she still felt that after I'd finished I dunno) :D

Mind you, there's at least one shop in Swansea where they try to give a prospective buyer a weird bellows-type device which makes peculiar asthmatic little wheezes and isn't very controllable on the second ocatave. Or the first....

I just left the whistle

:lol:
Tri pheth sy'n anodd nabod....
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Geraint wrote: Mind you, there's at least one shop in Swansea where they try to give a prospective buyer a weird bellows-type device which makes peculiar asthmatic little wheezes and isn't very controllable on the second ocatave. Or the first....

I just left the whistle

:lol:

Mars Music here did the same thing with the bellows thing. Even the guy working the woodwinds counter couldn't get it to get a good sound out of an instrument. I ended up buying nothing as well.
brianholton

Post by brianholton »

last christmas I was in Naples, where I found an "Irish pub": the staff were Italian, and the music heavy rock, so, bein gth eonly customer at the time, I suggested they play some Irish music - what I got was the Tannahill Weavers, a fine Scottish band....

then I noticed the bar was decorated with, as well as the usual collection of clapped-out fiddles and broken accordions, a pint pot contianing half a dozen Waltons - so I asked to try one and the manager fished one out, stuck it under the espresso machine and blasted steam through it. it played like a dream.

other than that, I've never seen sterilised whistles before. I've always used alcohol as a cleanser, myself.

:)

happy dribbling

brian
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

The Conn firm of instrument makers markets a liquid for sterilising brass instruments—very useful for brass bands that share instruments. I used it but I'm not sure what is in it. Probably alcohol amongst other things. I don't know what you'd use on an all wooden mouthpiece like a Grinter other than oil.