One more cool place to play the whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

One more cool place to play the whistle

Post by FJohnSharp »

Of course, you have to be a real estate agent to do this. I'm newly licensed (slight career shift in progress) and I sat my first open house. It was an unusully blustery, snowy, blizzardy day and no one showed up. I went to the car and got my Bloomfield-tweaked Gen and worked on Merrily Kissed the Quaker's Wife and Rights of Man in a vacant house. It was kinda fun. Though I'd rather have had people show up.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
markbell

Post by markbell »

Empty houses sound way cool. When we closed mom and dad's house, I piped Amazing Grace as I walked from room to empty room. Upper octave was even better - I was about half-deaf by the time I had worked it all out of my system.

Mark
sibilo ergo sum
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Yeah, empty rooms (with no carpet) are great. We're in the process of replacing all the carpet in our house with laminate flooring, one room at a time. I find I like to practice whistle in the empty rooms after I've removed the carpet... bare walls and plywood subfloor really bounce the sound around. :)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Darwin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Darwin »

I got to do that once with our house before we moved in.

Even now, the living room sounds pretty good, but the kitchen/breakfast nook are fantastic, with high ceilings and nothing but hard surfaces. Even my least favorite whistles sound great in there.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Duffy

Post by Duffy »

Unfortunately when I was a realtor I hadn't gotten smart enough or brave enough to try the whistle. However, I can recall those many hours sitting in an open house wishing I had something to do besides wait for a tire kicker to pull in the drive.

Now I've got my whistles, I don't sell realestate (except occasionally my own) and I only wait on my loving spouse.
stratochicnic

Post by stratochicnic »

I've always found that playing in the bathroom (which has great acoustics) sounds neat. I've done it a couple of times with my guitar. But I've yet to do it with my whistle...don't want to break any mirrors :lol:
-- Nicki

"Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn." - Charlie Parker
whistlerroberto

Post by whistlerroberto »

I find that when I play my whistle in a hallway that offers good acoustics, probably similar to an empty house. Playing in the bathroom. Well, I wouldn't play for too long! The bathroom is not a good place to monopolize :D . I'm just imagining my dad and my brother going nuts outside waiting to use the facilities while I whistle away Donnybrook Fair or something :twisted:
stratochicnic

Post by stratochicnic »

LOL Well I wasn't suggesting that people hold up the bathroom. If you're in an empty house, hang out and play in the bathroom :D

And yeah hallways have great acoustics too :)
-- Nicki

"Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn." - Charlie Parker
Kansas

Vintage Accoustics

Post by Kansas »

Gee - I though it was just me. I've been "trying" to play over the past two months (going pretty well actually). When my wife and kids are out I go to our upstairs hallway. We have a house that was built somewhere in the 1870's - about when Wild Bill Hickock was being run out of town for shooting his own deputy (sorry-I digress).
Anyway the accoustics there due to the high ceilings and solid wood floors is really haunting. The high D's take on a different character in that space and what I can get out of the low D's sounds pretty good.
Ive just got two new whistles (I've got whoa bad) - a Cheiftain in G and a Sunslinger in A. They sound especially surreal in the hallway.
Now - If I can just figure out how to get the keyboard and extension cord out there......
Clann O' dubh Ghaill / Doyle