Many Uilleann pipers have lost their only contacts w/others

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

I see there are some familiar names that have just registered on GC...is there another? As the piper plays softly and tenderly, is there yet another? :)
rebelpiper

Post by rebelpiper »

Sunnywindo wrote:Whoaaa!!!!!! (not to be confused with WhOA)
(Really though, never hurts to try to remember the Golden Rule thing, even in our posts here. There are real people behind the avatars, after all.)

:) Sara
Good Post!
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

The updated NPU website will have an improved forum area when it is launched.

David
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

A note about Gaelic Crossings - you think Dale's rules of "niceness" are tough or unfair? A lot of the pipers would have gotten themselves locked out of GC WAAYYY before they would here. Critical posts are NOT tolerated.

Susan
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

By way of update:

1. People are welcome to go to GC. If it looks like that ends up being the new home, and the owner of GC is interested, it might even be possible to transfer all the posts. I dunno, I'd have to ask smart people. Fortunately, I know some.

2. I've heard from a lot of the UP regulars, as expected, who want to help and to find a constructive solution. I'm optimistic that we'll be able to unlock the board at some point if that's what people continue to want. If a few people who embrace the civility rules (and there are many) would be willing to help moderate, we could certainly be back in business.

Volunteers may email me!

The problem is, in my view, the price of pipes. Not that I think they are more expensive than they should be, just that they are expensive. This causes any person who spends that kind of money and doesn't like the hardware to get pretty angry and emotional. It also moves people to DEFEND the hardware they paid so much for. I have to believe that's true, rather than the idea that pipers have a more surly temperament.

Right on cue, I had (in addition to a generous number of very gracious and helpful emails) two or three write to say they don't understand why they can't say negative or critical things on the board. I say again: This is not the case. At the risk of being patronizing, which is not my intention, let me demonstrate (again).

"I do not like Pepsi. It think the bubbles are disagreeable and their is a slightly sharp sensation at the back of one's palate. I prefer the taste of Diet Coke, and this is what I encourage my friends to buy."

vs.

"Pepsi is complete crap, clearly made by drunkards and con men. Anyone who would pay 75 cents for a can of it would have to be a fool. And anyone who would try to sell the crap on ebay is either a thief or is trying to unload a vile elixer that no one in their right mind would want."

First example: Ok
Second: Not Ok.

Dale

P.S. I'm asking Rich to start a "Soft Drink" Forum.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

susnfx wrote:A note about Gaelic Crossings - you think Dale's rules of "niceness" are tough or unfair? A lot of the pipers would have gotten themselves locked out of GC WAAYYY before they would here. Critical posts are NOT tolerated.

Susan
I'm so glad someone else pointed that out because it would have been unseemly for me to do so.

Thanks.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

The Undisputed wrote:At the risk of being patronizing, which is not my intention, let me demonstrate (again).

"I do not like Pepsi. It think the bubbles are disagreeable and their is a slightly sharp sensation at the back of one's palate. I prefer the taste of Diet Coke, and this is what I encourage my friends to buy."

vs.

"Pepsi is complete crap, clearly made by drunkards and con men. Anyone who would pay 75 cents for a can of it would have to be a fool. And anyone who would try to sell the crap on ebay is either a thief or is trying to unload a vile elixer that no one in their right mind would want."

Indeed, what's not to understand?
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Nanohedron wrote:
The Undisputed wrote:At the risk of being patronizing, which is not my intention, let me demonstrate (again).

vs.

Indeed, what's not to understand?
... how some people are so critical of Pepsi, I mean, MAN, grow a heart!! :D
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

I still don't understand...you haven't really explained why all the slagging matters. Does harsh, unwarranted criticism take up extra bandwith or something? Did Leo Buscaliga have a hand in designing packet switchers?
Why can't you just ignore all the bile? Liability reasons or the like?

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

So here's my exercise in OK critical discourse:

Joseph, I don't like your current signature avatar as it has this retractable bright green booger that keeps peeking out of your left nostril. It makes me uncomfortable, as do those space larvae coming out of your ears.

How's that? Man, it's hard not to get all ad hominem on you.
mukade

Post by mukade »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:I still don't understand...you haven't really explained why all the slagging matters. Does harsh, unwarranted criticism take up extra bandwith or something? Did Leo Buscaliga have a hand in designing packet switchers?

I have experience in running a couple of BBS/ internet communities, and believe me, what happens in the forum is only half of the story.

At times there was more activity around my inbox than there had been in the whole history of the forum. Something I had created to further my own interests had become part of many people's daily routine, and I felt responsibility to moderate more and more.

For a troll, it is easy to ignore responsibility. For a moderator, it is impossible.

Mukade.
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-Sorry to see the UP forum go down. I know zip about pipes
but might have gotten to critical mass after a few more years poring over the UP forum and other sites and ordered a practice set. -Can't fault Dale for it, however. It'll save me money in the long run, but waaahhh!

-I faced a similar situation with idiocy on property I co-own and live on: Local kids seeking a pot-smoking/alcohol/fighting/racing/smooching/party spot infesting the building's parking level, hiding in stairwells, racing cars, screaming at all hours, breaking into vehicles, driving legitimate users away and vandalizing the premises. We got little action from police and began making personal patrols after the fire department responded twice in one week (once on Christmas eve 2:00 a.m.-sending residents out in winter rain in slippers and bathrobes) due to smoke, vandalized fire sprinklers and flooding.

-Personal patrols continue and kids using the building as a party spot are now run off frequently amidst great juvenile hues-and-cries. Life here has improved dramatically with our willingness to cut off casual access and unwillingness to allow misuse to continue. This is the dilemma of free access: The misuse of the asset by the few while the many enjoy legitimate use of it. Public parks, transit systems and other public venues encounter these problems a lot.

-We've gated off stairwells, installed turnpike garage gates and taken an inhospitable stance toward troublemakers on the property. This seems vigilante-like but our rights come first here as do Dale's on the board. Why in heck should Dale provide a venue for peevishness, particularly about an instrument in which he has little interest? Dale should be thanked for hosting the UP forum in the first place and his choice here respected if not concurred with.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:I still don't understand...you haven't really explained why all the slagging matters. Does harsh, unwarranted criticism take up extra bandwith or something? Did Leo Buscaliga have a hand in designing packet switchers?

Kevin, your question could just as easily be "Why does civility and good manners matter?" It just does. And, the absence of civility and good manners on the UP board fills up my inbox and causes my phone to ring.

I don't mean to sound snooty about it, but it's just not negotiable and it never has been.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

mukade wrote:

I have experience in running a couple of BBS/ internet communities, and believe me, what happens in the forum is only half of the story.

At times there was more activity around my inbox than there had been in the whole history of the forum. Something I had created to further my own interests had become part of many people's daily routine, and I felt responsibility to moderate more and more.

For a troll, it is easy to ignore responsibility. For a moderator, it is impossible.

Mukade.
Thanks.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Nanohedron wrote:Joseph, I don't like your current signature avatar as it has this retractable bright green booger that keeps peeking out of your left nostril. It makes me uncomfortable, as do those space larvae coming out of your ears.
You don't like it? YOU don't like it? How do you think it makes me feel? :D