Flute cases

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

OK, So if I built an air tight box that sealed when it was closed?
And instead of a sponge I put a water container with a wick.
And then mounted the water container in a gyro ( they use them on boats to hold drink cans) Insulated it. Lined it with velvet. What else would it need before I tested it?
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
soprani
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Flute cases: guts and innards

Post by soprani »

This is from an interview with a guy named Jim Kiel, of Northwind Cases, which are supposed to be pretty durn good cases.

"Jim: The padding we use on the interior is orthopedic foam used in orthopedic shoes that has a lot more durability and cushions a lot better. Another thing we do differently [than we used to ] is the routing on the inside of the wooden case. It is done with a CNC computer, which gives a lot more exactness and consistency than hand carving the mold."

You can read the interview at:
http://www.flutesmith.com/enewsletter/v ... -cases.htm
eubiedubie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

flute case

Post by eubiedubie »

I made an insert for a flute case by cutting a 1" dowel rod for the sections of my flute then laid green velvet over the dowel rods and filled it with spray foam.When I turned it over I had a nice snug insert for my flute. :boggle:
When you come to a fork in the road take it. Yogi Barra
pandscarr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by pandscarr »

I wrote to ProTec asking if they would make custom fit cases, but they said no... such a pity.

I tried to get in touch with Northwind, but couldn't find any email / contact us details.

Great business opportunity for someone...
Little Impulse by Brian Finnegan

...not all who wander are lost...
Cariad

Post by Cariad »

I bought a case from Hammy Hamilton for my Lehart flute.Mr Hamilton took the measurements from me to cut the foam inside to an exact fit. Its one of his standard cases and I find it to be excellent. You can find out about them from his web site
Chang He

Post by Chang He »

Tommy wrote:What are the ideal conditions for storing a wood instrument. I am guessing not to dry and not to moist but just right. So tell me what is just right. I live very close to the Gulf of Mexico and we have very high humidity and it makes things rust. I keed my good tools in a sheet metal box with a small light bulb to keep out moisture. That is most likely to dry for a wood instrument. And what ever means a pet shop has to keep it's reptiles comfortable would be to humid. The next thing I think of that also needs controled humidity is cigars. I am not trying to make humor of this. I belive there could be a way for a box to have controled humdity.
I am also not trying to make a joke out of this, but when I read your post, I thought "humidor." You know, like for cigars. I bet you could talk to a local tobacconist and get some ideas, or maybe even a case, which would fit and is designed to do exactly what you are talking about.
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Cariad wrote:I bought a case from Hammy Hamilton for my Lehart flute.Mr Hamilton took the measurements from me to cut the foam inside to an exact fit. Its one of his standard cases and I find it to be excellent. You can find out about them from his web site
I second Cariad. Hammy's Mooncoin case is great for keyed flutes. It also fits my McGee really well (sorry, Terry). It's rugged and the flute fits snugly inside. Best of all, it's got a little cutout that's just the right size for a tube of cork grease and a little Humistat humidifier (about the size of a Chap-Stick). It also has locks on the latches.

The only drawback is it does look basically like a pistol case, but if you're after function ....

I tried to make a case liner for the BEAUTIFUL handmade walnut box my McGee came in using orthopaedic foam but failed miserably -- cutting & fitting the foam was IMPOSSIBLE! -- so it was back to the Mooncoin. Oh well, pubs are so hard on cases anyway ...

And if Hammy will cut the foot section special for your 8-key, I don't see how you can go wrong.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Lurking Chaos

Post by Lurking Chaos »

I have a case that has many drawbacks, but I have to say, it was in my suitcase when I flew to Japan and if it can bring an instrument happily through baggage check then it must be good. not that I would ever do that again, but anyway...
go to a hardware store and get a piece of PVC pipe with two caps and have it cut to the size of your flute. You can then superglue one of the caps on and stuff a little fabric or similar into the end, and also wrap your flute well in a piece of fabric (my sister actually sewed me a flute "sock"). So it's kind of a flute tube. The problems would be that it would probably not do well with keyed flutes (but you never know), it looks a bit odd (even if you paste it with stickers), you can't carry anything else like a whistle or two and it's a bit more unwieldly than a square case. But for taking a flute to and fro without damage it's great, and it's cheap as well. just an idea.
fluti31415

Post by fluti31415 »

[quote="Chang HeI am also not trying to make a joke out of this, but when I read your post, I thought "humidor." You know, like for cigars. I bet you could talk to a local tobacconist and get some ideas, or maybe even a case, which would fit and is designed to do exactly what you are talking about.[/quote]
Actually, most of the oboists I know do go to a tobacco shop for humidifiers for their cases!

shannon
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

These cases have intrigued me for some time...

http://www.caseclosed-inc.com/flutes.php

It's the most protective case I've ever seen, and while they're mainly made for Boehm flutes, I don't see why one couldn't be made for a simple system flute--the maker will do custom work.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Wow, Tintin. Those are cooler than you-know-what.

And if all the flute parts are held in place with Velcro straps (at least that's what it looks like from the photo), I don't see why it wouldn't work for a simple system flute?
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

Nice -- but pricey.
I've seen fifers with getups like these for years. I dunno if they're the same beastie. I do doubt it however. A case that costs more than the instrument that it contains is rather silly dontcha think?
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
LisaD

Post by LisaD »

Here's what I did ...

I bought an aluminum tool case from here:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=35900

I bought a stack of foam on Ebay for cheap, then cut the foam to make two layers with inserts for my flute, low whistles and high whistles. The flute and low whistles are in the bottom layer and the high whistles are in the top layer. The only problem I've run into is that my little flute humidifier can't handle all that foam, so I'm trying to think of a way to make a separate compartment for the flute that will retain moisture better.

Here are pictures:

Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

That's cool, Lisa. A double-decker case! And nice bunch of whistles ... are those all Sindts?

My big problem seemed to be cutting the stuff, esp. around keys on my keyed flutes. Anyone have any thoughts on the best weapon for that? Scissors, Xacto blades and a utility knife were of no avail -- everything just snagged or tore or the foam broke off.

As for the humidifier ... maybe one of those Velcro-on Humistats in each layer would be a good option for you? You could just stick them to the inner wall of the case for each layer; that's what I did for my Rubbermaid storage box and it works pretty well.
LisaD

Post by LisaD »

Cathy Wilde wrote:That's cool, Lisa. A double-decker case! And nice bunch of whistles ... are those all Sindts?

My big problem seemed to be cutting the stuff, esp. around keys on my keyed flutes. Anyone have any thoughts on the best weapon for that? Scissors, Xacto blades and a utility knife were of no avail -- everything just snagged or tore or the foam broke off.

As for the humidifier ... maybe one of those Velcro-on Humistats in each layer would be a good option for you? You could just stick them to the inner wall of the case for each layer; that's what I did for my Rubbermaid storage box and it works pretty well.
Hi Cathy,

The top 3 are a Sindt A/Bb/B set, the middle two are old Burkes (before the o-ring, way, way back), and the ones near the case handle are a Humphrey D/Eb/E set.

I had all kinds of trouble withxacto blades and utility knifes as well. As you said, the foam snagged and tore. I think the snagging was due to the fact that the blade is only on one edge, and the non-blade edge would catch on the foam. It worked much better when I started using a curved xacto blade, like this:

Thanks for the humistat suggestion ... I'll try it!

Lisa