Happiness

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
TomB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TomB »

Cranberry wrote:
amar wrote:cran, why does the h in historic make you happy? :-?
Well, because it's supposed to be there. It also makes me happy when people use 'a' as an indefinate article with the adjective "historic", instead of "an".

In short it makes me happy, because I'm a dork. :P

Are you sure it doesn't make you "appy"? :D

Same thing about the word "huge."

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Jeff Stallard

Post by Jeff Stallard »

Cranberry wrote:
Well, because it's supposed to be there. It also makes me happy when people use 'a' as an indefinate article with the adjective "historic", instead of "an".
Yes!! Seemingly educated people have bought into this myth that 'an' preceeds ANY word starting with 'H' but the rule isn't based on spelling at all. Maybe it's just intellectual slang.
"Reality is the computer hardware, and religions are the operating systems: abstractions that allow us to interact with, and draw meaning from, a reality that would otherwise be incomprehensible."
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Cranberry wrote:

In short it makes me happy, because I'm a dork. :P
Just the opposite for me... I think the "an" lets the "h" in "historic" roll off the tongue better. To my ears, it just sounds right. Although it may be just that I both appreciate and like to bend rules. :)

My three:

1 - my wonderful, loving, quirky, never boring, diversely talented, and remarkably opinionated (*imagine *that*!) family.

2. - my wonderful, loving, quirky, never boring, diversely talented, and remarkably opinionated (*imagine *that*!) friends.

3. - this incredibly beautiful and sturdy world we have been given to live in, though few appreciate it enough to actually protect it. (I can't stand being too happy about anything...)

and... Spring! Birds' beauty and song! Affectionate four-legged's! Wild four-leggeds! Enough work to more than pay the bills! Being able to walk! The incredible diversity of the world!

and... the incredible friends I've been able to meet online that I might never have encountered in "real life" at all. :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Jeff Stallard wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
Yes!! Seemingly educated people have bought into this myth that 'an' preceeds ANY word starting with 'H' but the rule isn't based on spelling at all. Maybe it's just intellectual slang.
I like the H in herbs.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
TomB

Post by TomB »

Martin Milner wrote:
Jeff Stallard wrote:
Cranberry wrote: Well, because it's supposed to be there. It also makes me happy when people use 'a' as an indefinate article with the adjective "historic", instead of "an".
I like the H in herbs.

What about "Enry Iggins?"
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

TomB wrote:
Martin Milner wrote:
Jeff Stallard wrote: Yes!! Seemingly educated people have bought into this myth that 'an' preceeds ANY word starting with 'H' but the rule isn't based on spelling at all. Maybe it's just intellectual slang.
I like the H in herbs.

What about "Enry Iggins?"
I wouldn't say I ate im, but e aint alf the man I thought e was.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

1. Reciprocated love.
2. Grasping something for the first time. (It doesn't have to be original. It doesn't have to be be me doing the grasping. I get just as happy seeing someone else's face at the ah-ha instant.)
3. Losing myself in music.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Cran, thanks for posting this one. When I was little, my mom would ask us every night as we went to bed to tell our three happy things of the day. A good way to lead into sweet dreams.

These are my three happy things of today. Hard to thin it to just three.

1. hearing my daughter play her fiddle before breakfast

2. ice on puddles to crunch with my feet

3. a new jig in my head. Traditional music had been dormant for me up until about four years ago, when I heard a radio show with live concertina performance. I remember hooting with joy at the sound, and a sudden realization of happiness. Now I'm in it. Thanks to this forum and all you folks, in great part. I'm glad you're all here.

Jennie
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

Charlene wrote:1. Long walks on a sandy warm ocean beach picking up seashells.
You love that to!?! 8) Unfortunately, have only been able to do that a handful of times in my life, not many ocean beaches in Utah. I even collect beach/ocean front sand. (Strange thing to collect perhaps, but I think sand is totally facinating!) Put it in little labeled bottles and display them on a shelf. So far, I have seven sands from different beaches, two quite similar and the rest very different from each other. Some of my favorite good dreams involve walking along a beach picking up shells and collecting sand.

Oh yeah... happy things.... (In no paticular order.)

family

accomplishing something worthwhile and of good

the genealogy library in Salt Lake City

friends

favorite music

my religion (and things related to that)

a good book

ocean beaches

spring time flowers and fall leaves

thunderstorms

(Guess we'd better cut it off there... sorry, couldn't decide on a top three right off)

:) Sara
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Cold nights, sleeping snuggled up with my wife under a stack of quilts she made, with our two cats curled up on the foot of the bed like living foot-warmers, and the dog asleep on the rug next to the bed, snoring gently.

Hiking up a mountain through thick fog and mist, then suddenly climbing out into the sunshine to see an ocean of white clouds below, like glaciers surrounding the mountain peaks.

Paddling across water as smooth as glass on a bright, sunny day, harbor seals popping up to watch as I drift by, osprey and eagles soaring overhead.

Cheers,
John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

My family(husband and two daughters,who also have the power to destroy me but don't take this option too often, and the grandaughter always makes me happy)

Animals, particularly dogs

My religion and the peace of spirit it gives
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Sunnywindo wrote:
Charlene wrote:1. Long walks on a sandy warm ocean beach picking up seashells.
You love that to!?! 8) Unfortunately, have only been able to do that a handful of times in my life, not many ocean beaches in Utah. I even collect beach/ocean front sand. (Strange thing to collect perhaps, but I think sand is totally facinating!) Put it in little labeled bottles and display them on a shelf. So far, I have seven sands from different beaches, two quite similar and the rest very different from each other. Some of my favorite good dreams involve walking along a beach picking up shells and collecting sand.

:) Sara
It's a bit difficult in Spokane, also!! (about 300 miles inland) But when I do get a chance to get to the coast that's what I do.

I've got a couple of plastic vials of sand around someplace - dark sand from Ocean Shores, Washington, and white sand from Florida. I don't have them on display though. My unicorn collection takes up all the display space!!
Charlene
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I mentioned this on this thread a few days ago:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... california
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

The Weekenders wrote:I mentioned this on this thread a few days ago:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... california
Dang! Looks like I left too soon. :(
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe