Renaissance wax?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
kgharper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Renaissance wax?

Post by kgharper »

I was recommended this product as something that would help slow metal tarnish on keys and whistles. It's a semi-synthetic micro-crystalline fossil-origin wax/polish :roll: used by conservators and museums for polishing and protecting a variety of surfaces. It's supposed to be checmically neutral, non-staining, non-abrasive and have no polish smell. It's also expensive ($20 for 7 fl oz). Anyone tried it, or have an alternative product to recommend?
Jack

Post by Jack »

Do you know if it has any other names?

I've never heard of it...
hans
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

KateG

Post by KateG »

Speaking as a museum person, I am familiar with Rennaisance wax. It is used to prevent silver from tarnishing. However, I'm not sure how well it would work for a flute, because flutes get handled constantly. In a museum setting, we wear gloves when polishing and waxing the object and then it gets put in its sterile glass case with a no-tarnish strip for another year.
kgharper

Post by kgharper »

Thanks Kate. I was hoping that the wax would slow down tarnish on the keys and bands. Apart from the key touches they don't receive a lot of contact. If nobody suggests a better alternative I think I'll give the wax a try.
sturob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

Have you experienced trouble with tarnish, or are you looking to prevent trouble?

My sterling keywork and bands haven't really had tarnish trouble. Maybe it's my own skin chemistry . . . I've seen nickel-silver tarnish like a big dog, but sterling, not so much.

Stuart
kgharper

Post by kgharper »

All my flute are nickel silver rather than sterling. I get very little tarnish on my anonymous English flutes but I have an 1847 William Hall that seems to turn at the drop of hat. I do play it more than my other flutes so maybe it is my skin chemistry!
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

Perhaps players when ordering new flutes should ask makers to use the new non-tarnish silvers on the market.
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

People's skin chemistry is a major issue here - I know of some people that when they touch silver, a few days later you can see their fingerprints etched in tarnish! At least you can find out who's responsible - just match the prints! If you're seeing that sort of tarnish, get in the habit of giving the silverwork a quick wipe over with a cloth before putting it away. If the tarnish occurs all over, then it's probably environmental sulphur, not so common these days except perhaps in industrial regions. Don't keep any rubber in the flute case (so-called "foam rubber" used in case padding is not actually rubber and is OK.)

I always recommend getting a "silver cleaning cloth" from your jeweller or regular music shop. Le Blanc make one specifically for flutes with two different cloths, one for removing tarnish and one for final polishing. A wipe over whenever the silver looks a bit dull will keep it gleaming. Much easier to keep tarnish from forming than getting it off later. The cloth will keep working for many years.

Terry
kgharper

Post by kgharper »

Thanks Terry, that's good advice. I always swab out after playing but rarely wipe the keys