"daylight savings time"

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Do You

Hate it
62%
Ooo, I love it makes the day so much longer! It has the smell of fresh cut grass, and makes me think of puppies. I just can’t wait for the weekend! I think I’ll change my watch NOW!
38%

Total votes: 37

I.D.10-t
antispam: No

"daylight savings time"

Post by I.D.10-t »

For the record, I hate it. It makes the sundial wrong half of the year.
I think I’ll change my watch NOW!
Now that would be an April Fool's Joke!
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
TomB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TomB »

Is there a "don't give a damn" about it option? I guess I do care, but I would like it left one way or another, (....I'm gonna get ya, get ya......).

I hate going to work in the dark and leaving in the dark, but that's only for a short time of the year.

I have a sundial and it's always wrong, no matter what time of the year it is. If anyone has instructions on how I can correctly "wind it up" I would appreciate it.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

It always takes me at least a week to get used to the time change.

Businesses will say "we're for it because it gives our employees an extra hour of daylight after work." Well, if they are so concerned about their employees, just change the hours of operation and let people off an hour earlier! I've often said we should keep one clock in the house on standard time to remind us what time the sun says it is!

I should move to Arizona or the parts of (is it Indiana or Illinois?) that stay on standard time! :)
Charlene
peteinmn

Re: "daylight savings time"

Post by peteinmn »

For the record, I hate it. It makes the sundial wrong half of the year.
Get one of them there new fangled "atomic" sundials. :D
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

Charlene wrote:I should move to Arizona or the parts of (is it Indiana or Illinois?) that stay on standard time! :)
Parts of Indiana stay on "God's Time" all year long. :wink:
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
missy

Post by missy »

I just would like to stay on the "same" time all the year. The dogs expect to be fed earlier or later, my brain says go to bed earlier or later, etc - depending on if it's spring of fall. Growing up in a farming community, THEY hated it, too (try convincing 1300 head of cattle that they need to be milked an hour difference in time!).

And, I REALLY hate it living right next to Indianna which doesn't change. Whenever we do festivals there in the summer, we have to stop and think.... ok, what time will we really need to leave to get there, etc. When I worked at the local amusement park in high school and college, I got used to answering "what time is it" with "do you live in Ohio or Indianna?".

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Where's the "we've already changed over and don't have to think about it till Autumn" poll option? ;)
norseman

Post by norseman »

Well, I live in Arizona, and our time never changes. We're always on Mountain Standard Time.

Bob
Failure is NOT an option - it comes bundled with the software.
emmline

Post by emmline »

"Fall back" is cool. "Spring Forward" irks me. I'd vote for dumping both.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

In Denmark at least, it's great. We went to DST last weekend and suddenly we have sunlit (early) evenings; it's after 7 PM here now, and the sun's still up. I love it! Plus, although our mornings got a bit darker, it's still light at 6 AM, which is plenty sufficient for me.

Cheers,
Jens
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

emmline wrote:"Fall back" is cool. "Spring Forward" irks me. I'd vote for dumping both.
That's it!

I heard that England had double daylight savings time during WWII.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
TomB

Post by TomB »

Jens_Hoppe wrote:In Denmark at least, it's great. We went to DST last weekend and suddenly we have sunlit (early) evenings; it's after 7 PM here now, and the sun's still up. I love it! Plus, although our mornings got a bit darker, it's still light at 6 AM, which is plenty sufficient for me.

Cheers,
Jens

Yeah, the type of sunlight hours sound great.

Tom
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I recall the uproar when daylight savings time was introduced. Some dairy farmers were complaining because the cows were thrown off schedule! As if the farmers couldn't have gotten up an hour later by the clock; it would have been the same TIME. :lol:
TomB

Post by TomB »

Nanohedron wrote:I recall the uproar when daylight savings time was introduced. Some dairy farmers were complaining because the cows were thrown off schedule! As if the farmers couldn't have gotten up an hour later by the clock; it would have been the same TIME. :lol:

You're right! Like the saying says-

"no use crying over such an udderly ridiculous thing."

Tom
Alan
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

I think this is the point at which some effete snobe pops in to state that it is Daylight Saving Time... not 'Savings'.
Alan