Tell me it isn't true......

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Tell me it isn't true......

Post by dubhlinn »

The egg shakers are rapidly beginning to play an integral part of the Irish session. We carry two types of egg shaker: a pair of egg shakers available in green, red, blue, yellow, orange, purple and black (€6.00 per pair) or the more professional "eggz" shaker at €4.50 for one and a stand is also available for them at €4.50.

I found this little gem in a link posted on the Whistle Forum,

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=27584

I wonder what keys they come in :boggle:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

It's "pure drop" I reckon. Sure didn't yer man Seamus Ennis always want to play the eggz before they strapped him to the pipes, and him only 8 at the time?
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Long ago, my brother got one with a built-in pick, so that it shakes a little while you play the guitar... odd, but neat.

We have one gal who plays the bodhran, whistles, and is learning the concertina, who uses a variety of 'novelty instruments' at various times. Unless she gets obnoxious about it, it adds some fun. Of course, the main focus of our sessions *is* fun, rather than re-enactment of other players' perfect renditions, so it's OK.

I can see where those expecting purely specific time and place tradition would not care for it.

It can get to be a bit much when more than two people start in with them.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Come to think of it, I'm sure Amar's got a set, but I think they're Chinese.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Re: Tell me it isn't true......

Post by Wanderer »

Wow! I started a trend! :)

Seriously, I started playing the egg shaker years ago in session, as a way to pass the time when I didn't know the tunes everyone was playing.

Now I suppose I'll have to change my identity and get plastic surgery so that I can avoid being lynched as the guy who invented "the session's newest bodhran".

:lol:
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

Wanderer wrote:Wow! I started a trend! :)

Seriously, I started playing the egg shaker years ago in session, as a way to pass the time when I didn't know the tunes everyone was playing.

Now I suppose I'll have to change my identity and get plastic surgery so that I can avoid being lynched as the guy who invented "the session's newest bodhran".

Music being what it has alwasy been, a (usually) joyful noise, has always inspired people to pick up what was at hand and join in. I can't imagine that there never was a can of summat sitting in reach that din't get shaken a bit in the joy of the tune.

edited to ad... Oh! And Wanderer, after your nose job, when you take up the harp instead, can I have yer whistles? Pulez? :D
anniemcu
---
---
---
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I don't have half the whistles I used to. I sold a lot of them between 2000-2003 when I was mostly out of work due to the internet bubble bursting. Sold some more when I moved to Dallas.

I have a nice whistle case that I got NancyF to make for me, and I think it holds like 8 or 9 whistles..I used to carry it full..now, it's usually half full, and swabs and the like are taking up the rest of the space.

I probably have 30 whistles now, and of those, 23 of them are worth around $5. :) Ah, but those 7 fancy whistles... :love:
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

It could be worse Dubh. I remember a mighty session once in Ripon when us Yellowbellies were visiting. Everything was great until this one fella pulled out a pair of spoons and starting playing them. We could've stood that (even though he was really bad on them) but the barmaid said "Oo, that's a good idea" and vanished into the restaurant section of the pub and came back with a bucketful of spoons. She then handed out a pair to everyone in the (very crowded) bar.

We still have nightmares about that one. :boggle:
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Historically, I believe the tradition was started by Irish musicians who carried around Lucky Charms cereal (or possibly teeth they lost in fights) in empty whiskey bottles and had seizures during fast songs.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

jbarter wrote:It could be worse Dubh. I remember a mighty session once in Ripon when us Yellowbellies were visiting. Everything was great until this one fella pulled out a pair of spoons and starting playing them. We could've stood that (even though he was really bad on them) but the barmaid said "Oo, that's a good idea" and vanished into the restaurant section of the pub and came back with a bucketful of spoons. She then handed out a pair to everyone in the (very crowded) bar.

You know... although it certainly can be, and often is, overdone, it still is just not something I care to get all bent about. They are having fun too, participating and enjoying the evening. They get to feel like they are part of the 'magic' for a bit... even though the magic is really what happens between those who are seriously getting into the playing of their own instruments and the tunes in a different perspective, it all relates and works out well enough most of the time. If we want to focus just on the playing together of some fine tune, we simply focus on that, not the other stuff... and we all end up having a pretty good time. There are thos times of *genuine* magic, when things click extremely well and there is not "interference", but the general hubub just makes those time all the more tastey.

I just don't see the need to shut people up. Sometimes it is necessary, but rarely.

edited to add: In fact, the music store that sponsores the jams, and the pizza place thatlets us use their space, have collaborated, and there are usually fun little pizza box or cup instruments for the patrons to play along with the band with. IT's cute, it's silly, and it makes it more fun for those who don't actually play a real instrument. Especially the kids.
anniemcu
---
---
---
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

vomitbunny wrote:Historically, I believe the tradition was started by Irish musicians who carried around Lucky Charms cereal (or possibly teeth they lost in fights) in empty whiskey bottles and had seizures during fast songs.
I thought we weren't supposed to get chuckles out of the stereotypical drunken Irish stories... Or was that just in the St. Paddy's Dae joke thread. :D
anniemcu
---
---
---
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

GaryKelly wrote:Come to think of it, I'm sure Amar's got a set, but I think they're Chinese.
my eggs are the silent but deadly kind.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

stereotypical drunken Irish stories?
I'll have you know my Uncle Paddy O'Furniture told me that for a fact.
I was about 5 and we were out drunk, looking for a pot of gold.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
glauber

Post by glauber »

jbarter wrote:It could be worse Dubh. I remember a mighty session once in Ripon when us Yellowbellies were visiting. Everything was great until this one fella pulled out a pair of spoons and starting playing them. We could've stood that (even though he was really bad on them) but the barmaid said "Oo, that's a good idea" and vanished into the restaurant section of the pub and came back with a bucketful of spoons. She then handed out a pair to everyone in the (very crowded) bar.

YOW!

I was thinking more in the line of cowbell, like in that Saturday Night Live skit, but yours is worse!
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
missy

Post by missy »

annismcu wrote:
"the music store that sponsores the jams, and the pizza place thatlets us use their space"

A friend of mine does a "pizza box bodhran" workshop at festivals. It's a hoot!

But, I too, have been in jams that were overpowered by spoons and bones. Teethgrating!!!

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com