Recommendation on Tuner that works with whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kansas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Recommendation on Tuner that works with whistles

Post by Kansas »

I am wondering if someone can recommend an electronic tuner that will work with whistles.
I'm of course, hoping to find one that might be available on the internet at a reasonable price. We have a few good music stores but they concern themselves with mostly either guitars and etc or school band intruments. I want to make sure what I purchase will actually work with a whistle.
I have a keyboard to use for getting it close, but would like to have something to get it closer if possible.

Thanks for a great forum! I've been "lurking" for a while now....
Clann O' dubh Ghaill / Doyle
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Pretty much any chromatic tuner should work fine. Korg makes some that are reasonably priced and work well.
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I use a Korg. They can be found at Lark in the Mornning and other places.
I also use an A tunning fork to check the Korg sometimes. Touch the base of the tunning fork to a wood table, guitar, mt can or something else hollow to amplify the sound. If you touch the vibrating end of the tunning fork to your nose you will sneeze and clear your nose.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I have a QwikTune Qt-11. I don't recommend it. It only tunes the first octave, and doesn't "hear" the 2nd. Whitmores has a Korg (I don't know the model #), and I like it much better.

there are several different makes of QwikTune tuners, so I don't know if this deficiency is true for all of them.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Here you go:

http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~tuner/tuner_e.html

It's free, works great for whistles.

Best wishes,
Jerry
whistleboy

Post by whistleboy »

This might be a dumb question or one for our phyicist whistlers out there, but what keeps a tuning fork in tune. Wouldn't it be subject to the same barimetric pressures and outside forces that causes our instruments to become out of tune. Just curious.
Here's to our wives and girlfriends: May they never meet!
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

whistleboy wrote:This might be a dumb question or one for our phyicist whistlers out there, but what keeps a tuning fork in tune. Wouldn't it be subject to the same barimetric pressures and outside forces that causes our instruments to become out of tune. Just curious.
It's not subject to barometric-pressure variations because the sound is generated entirely by the metal. That is, it doesn't depend on a vibrating column of air; it depends only on the dimensions and physical properties of the fork. As far as temperature, they're (or at least they should be) made from metals with a reasonably low coefficient of thermal expansion. A difference of 10 degrees or so should be no more than a part in ten thousand, or .04 Hz at 440. I assume they're spec'd as working over a certain temperature range.

If you put any kind of significant dent or bend in it, that will change its properties and hence might possibly change its frequency.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Tuners are always available on eBAY:
http://search.ebay.com/tuner_Equipment_ ... acatZ41402
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

A hearty welcome to Kansas from just down the road in the Republic of West Ozarkia! :D

I have a Korg tuner and use it on all of my instruments. It is a guitar/bass tuner rather than a chromatic, but I can use the "flat" button to get to the notes in between, or I can just check the D, E, G, A and B.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Here you go:

http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~tuner/tuner_e.html

It's free, works great for whistles.
What Jerry said. I've used this for a couple of years and it's great. All you need is a decent mike plugged into you PC sound card and off you go.

:)
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
Duffy

Post by Duffy »

Tommy wrote: If you touch the vibrating end of the tunning fork to your nose you will sneeze and clear your nose.
And I'm frequently asked by family members 'What possible good can ever come from the time you spend reading posts on those whistle boards?' I've wasted untold dollars on over the counter medication to treat my clogged synuses.
Kansas

Post by Kansas »

Thanks for all the great answers. I may try the tuning fork as well as the Korg and the computer tuner. I do have a cold virus that won't let go of my sinuses. Maybe I can kill two birds...

Seriously - thanks a lot. I downloaded the freebie and found a Korg on ebay real chaep. Now I can't say "I didn't know I wasn't in tune."
Clann O' dubh Ghaill / Doyle
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

And Duffy, the other great thing about a tuning fork when you are in a crowd and your electronic tuner hears everthing so you can't use it.
Just get out the tuning fork, tap it on the table then put the base of it to the back of your head. You will hear the note in stereo. I have been to Racine a few times. Real nice town.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
slowair

Post by slowair »

I use a Korg chromatic tuner from Music123. Just $20.

http://www.music123.com/Korg-CA30-Chrom ... 0341.music

Mike