Oh, ebay!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Band Nerd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Oh, ebay!

Post by Band Nerd »

Are Irish flutes on Ebay generally worth the buy? I know that it mostly depends on the seller, but has anybody had good experiences buying Irish flutes off of Ebay?

Thanks.

Collin :lol:
Chang He

Post by Chang He »

I don't know about flutes specifically, but as long as the seller has a good bit of a history of positive feedback, ebay can be great. Be careful of course. My mother has had some bad experiences with ebay sellers who seemed good.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Oh, ebay!

Post by Jon C. »

Band Nerd wrote:Are Irish flutes on Ebay generally worth the buy? I know that it mostly depends on the seller, but has anybody had good experiences buying Irish flutes off of Ebay?
You can get some nice old flutes there, and an occasional name brand flute. But stay away from the Pakistan Irish flutes that are in abundence there. It may seem like a good deal, but the flutes are not in tune, and end up making great table lamps...
Jon
Band Nerd

Post by Band Nerd »

I have only bought 1 thing from ebay, so I don't have much experience of knowing which person is selling a good product. :lol:
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

If you see something on ebay you might want, ask for opinions here. If it's somebody known to someone here, it might be fine. They might know the flute, in fact. If nobody knows them, then I wouldn't risk it.

Probably safer to just wait until someone here posts a flute for sale.
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

If you know your flutes and ask the right questions you are in with a chance !
radcliff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

andrewK Know what he write... :)
Some new Rudalls in here?

Frank
Tom O'Farrell

Post by Tom O'Farrell »

I have bought quite a few cheaper flutes on e-bay plus 3 expensive ones. I was very cautious with the expensive ones, insisting on speaking in person with the sellers and tracking them down well. I have also sold several on e-bay one at $4300. Got full money before sending. But there are con artists in the expensive range, it could be very risky. Below say $1000 I wouldn't be too concerned but still would insist in talking to them.
No talk no money.
Tom O'Farrell.
www.tomofarrell.ca
norseman

Post by norseman »

I recently bought an M&E R/R flute from eBay seller markie495. I sent email before I bid, and it turns out this is none other than Michael Cronnolly himself. He occasionally sells his flutes on eBay.

Bob
Failure is NOT an option - it comes bundled with the software.
Band Nerd

Post by Band Nerd »

Thanks for the tips :lol: .
glauber

Post by glauber »

I'd say, if it's cheap, have fun. The Irish flute/whistle market has been over-hyped in the past few years, and people are paying exhorbitant amounts of money on eBay for flutes that have the right "credentials" (e.g.: Rudall). I think these days most antique English-made flutes from the 8-key period on eBay are overpriced; the good bargains are usually for flutes that need work. Firth/Pond American flutes are also overpriced, thanks to Grey Larsen! :)

However, you can still get good deals on small holed flutes (German, Austrian and French models) or Baroque flutes, or on modern flutes, sold by their makers or by players who are upgrading.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
demon_piper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

bought and sold

Post by demon_piper »

I have bought and sold good flutes on eBay, I sold a Hoza Rudall, discovering that Prattens work better for me. And I bought and later sold a Blackwood Copeland, because I didn't give it enough use. Also bought a Metzler 8 key, in good shape too and a great price. Can''t handle the keys though, so Mr Copley will have it for his research.

I also sold two boxwood baroque flutes one there, one a Firth Hall and Pond.

Basically I got hosed once when I won and paid for two dixon flutes, and low and behold eBay actually never responded to my complaints.

So take care with it, the system sometimes breaks!
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

norseman wrote:I recently bought an M&E R/R flute from eBay seller markie495. I sent email before I bid, and it turns out this is none other than Michael Cronnolly himself. He occasionally sells his flutes on eBay.

Bob
Interesting. I got the same thing, shipped, for $500 but with the extra-special cool touch of metal rings - specially designed to confuse the clueless into a) thinking it's wood and b) making me look like I know what I'm doing:)
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
norseman

Post by norseman »

I had the rings added as well. It looks too naked without them. :D

He told me it was shipping today!

Bob
Failure is NOT an option - it comes bundled with the software.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

norseman wrote:I had the rings added as well. It looks too naked without them. :D

He told me it was shipping today!

Bob
I played mine for about 5 hours yesterday.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.