eBay ethics... what would you do?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

eBay ethics... what would you do?

Post by Tony »

I sold something on eBay this month and communicated with the buyer to find him the best rate for shipping as the size of the item exceeded UPS maximum and went into additional cost. He was going to mail a cashiers check. In my auction, I stipulated payment must be received within 10 days. I also (by e-mail) offered to take PayPal.
On the 9th day, I received an e-mail from the buyer indicating he had been in a car accident (on the 7th day money was due) telling me he could not make payment. In his apology, he has offered to compensate my eBay costs for the auction.

What would YOU do in a situation like this??
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

The simplest thing to do would be to relist the item and absorb the cost of the first listing. No fuss and bother, just move on.

However, it really depends on how much your time and effort are worth. That will determine whether you would consider trying to collect reimbursement for the eBay fees or work with the customer to see if he still wants the item but needs more time. My inclination, though, would be to just move on if at all possible. This customer may be on the up and up about the accident, but he may be complicated to work with and tie up your attention if you try to accomodate him.

If you do relist, you should include a note in the description explaining why the item is being relisted.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

I agree with Jerry. Move on. Ebay is so full of this kind of behavior, it's not worth the risk of filing a non-paying winning bidder's complaint, or giving him a negative feedback. He'd give you one too and that's not worth it. Sell it to someone that really wants it...someone who you know will be happy.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

What Jerry said.

It's difficult to judge others motives, reasons, and validity. You never know. But, in the long run, it's just a whole lot easier to forget the whole thing and move on.

My thinking on this is that there is no potential aggravation with just listing the item and absorbing the cost. Should you bother with getting the listing costs from this individual, there is considerable potential for further aggravation. If he really was in a car accident, then he doesn't need the expense. If he wasn't in a car accident, then his life is probably miserable enough as it is and he deserves our sympathy. If karma hasn't come round yet, it will soon enough.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I say relist it and there is no harm in asking for compensation and if he doesn't send it well you will just have to move on.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Unseen122 wrote:I say relist it and there is no harm in asking for compensation and if he doesn't send it well you will just have to move on.
I'm with Avery.

Sometimes it's the truth... I had something similar happen only I was the buyer, and the seller had had a very bad car accident on her way to the postoffice to send my stuff. Her son finally got in contact with everyone she was due to sent things to, and tried to make good on everything that was still in one piece. Some thought it ia lie and left negative feedback, others thought it an excuse and just dismissed it. I finally got my stuff, and a very big thank you for my patience and understanding. I understand she made a full recovery. She didn't need the rath of people on top of it, in my opinion.

If you haven't actually lost money, don't sweat it... accept the offer of compensation, and as Avery said, if it comes, great! If it doesn't, you aren't counting on it, so no real harm.

BTW... did you check their feedback to see if this is a pattern or an out-of-the-ordinary occurance? Someone with great feedback isn't likely to suddenly turn into a cheat.

HOpe it works out well for you.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I had a beginning buyer on ebay who purchased an item that I was selling three times. Just as soon as the auction closed and I relisted the item, the person closed the "buy it now" auction again, thinking that they hadn't been successful the first time. They did this three times before I finally became aware of what was happening. Of couse, I was getting final valuation fees for every transaction.

Ebay does have a procedure where both parties agree to cancel the auction. First you must submit a non-paying bidder report. You then communicate with the buyer that your intention is not to make a negative mark on their account buy only to get your valuation fees refunded. After a waiting period, the seller completes another form, indicating that there is a mutual agreement to cancel the transaction. At this point ebay should refund the final valutation fees. The process is a little bit of work, but it would be worthwhile if the fees are very large. I didn't have any problem with the procedure when I used it.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Ebay does have a procedure where both parties agree to cancel the auction. First you must submit a non-paying bidder report. You then communicate with the buyer that your intention is not to make a negative mark on their account buy only to get your valuation fees refunded. After a waiting period, the seller completes another form, indicating that there is a mutual agreement to cancel the transaction. At this point ebay should refund the final valutation fees. The process is a little bit of work, but it would be worthwhile if the fees are very large. I didn't have any problem with the procedure when I used it.
If the fees are enough to matter, this would be the way to go, IMO. If the buyer has agreed to pay the fees, he would consider it gracious of you to offer him a way so he wouldn't have to bear the expense. If he's not legit, he wouldn't reimburse the expense anyway. There would be more of a chance he would cooperate in cancelling the auction, though, since it won't cost him anything and it will help protect him from negative feedback.

Worth a try if the amount of money involved matters to you.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Jack

Post by Jack »

I'd ask if he's ok from the accident, then tell him I completely understand and everything is fine and then re-list.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

You're a compassionate person, Cran. Did you know?

It shows in your posts.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Keep in mind you can't just "move on" unless the guy pays the commission and listing fees, or you recover them through the process. The commission fee eBay charges for successfully selling an item can be substantial. When auction ends, and has a winning bidder, the seller is automatically charged a lot of money for listing and selling the item. In some cases, this can be hundreds of dollars if the selling price was high. It happened to me once, but I recovered the fee (about $348) by going through the process of filing a complaint. It took about 6 weeks. I only got credit to my account, no cash back. What a pain! But it ended up being a blessing because, a year later, I listed it again and it sold for 10K more than the first time. (it was an old collector guitar)
Jack

Post by Jack »

Peggy wrote:You're a compassionate person, Cran. Did you know?

It shows in your posts.
I often have to work on it but I try to be compassionate.

Does that make me fake? I hope not.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cranberry wrote:
Peggy wrote:You're a compassionate person, Cran. Did you know?

It shows in your posts.
I often have to work on it but I try to be compassionate.

Does that make me fake? I hope not.
Not at all. Working on compassion doesn't mean you're faking it. It just means that you recognize the full extent to which you must become compassion, and you recognize how far you have to go to reach the ideal, so you work on it.

"Working on it" is therefore a manifestation of compassion.

You will be lacking in compassion on the day you look at yourself and believe that you are compassionate.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Never mind.
Last edited by Jack on Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

My concern was the money should have been sent out a few days before his 'accident'
I'm thinking to ask for a copy of the accident report or turn him over to eBay. This doesn't mean I'll do it... just a thought.
I'm still weighing the options.

I did see some recourse regarding 'second offer' to the other bidders without relisting the item. eBay still charges a fee for this. I've sent an e-mail the the second highest bidder asking if he's interested. Awaiting a reply.