Boxwood flute made by Dominic Allan

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Boxwood flute made by Dominic Allan

Post by claudine »

My new flute made by Dominic Allan is ready and should arrive in 1-2 weeks. More comments will follow as soon as possible.
Kelpie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kelpie »

I have a keyed pratten's by him and I can assure you that you'll fall in love with it
Yes of course it was meant to sound that way!
Band Nerd

Post by Band Nerd »

What are the two holes at the end used for?
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

What are the two holes at the end used for?
To tie strings through so you can hypnotize the Morris dancers... :P

No, seriously, they're a left over from the days when you had 8 keys on most flutes and they're for low C and C#. On a keyless flutes, they're nothing more than vents and can be used to fine tune the flute (according to some makers) and are totally unecessary according to other makers. There is also a bit of a myth that flutes with the vented foot will be louder than flutes without. I have flutes with nearly identical bore, tone hole and embouchure sizes...one has the long foot with vent holes and the other doesn't and they're both just about as loud, just as in tune, and sound nearly exactly the same (which means they sound like me).

Eric
sturob

Post by sturob »

Jayhawk wrote:There is also a bit of a myth that flutes with the vented foot will be louder than flutes without.
It's not exactly a myth: the footjoints in question (you mention ones with and without holes) will necessarily be somewhat different.

The conventional wisdom is actually that unvented footjoints (meaning short feet) are louder than (longer) vented ones.

Stuart
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

If I'm not mistaken, Casey Burns told me that the extended foot also "sweetens" the upper register. Particularly on Rudall-style flutes. Maybe Casey or Terry or Dave or one of the other makers will chime in and tell me if I'm remembering right.

Doc
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

That's a seriously beautiful flute!

Mary
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I've also heard that the long foot makes the D sound more like the other notes.

As far as I'm concerned, if great makers like Olwell and Hammy swear by the long foot, and others such as Noy swear by the short foot, they must both have something going for them.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Gorgeous looking flute, Claudine. I have one of Dominic's Eb's, his craftsmanship is superb. You'll love it I'm sure! Looking forward to the reports when you receive it :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Hi Claudine,
its a very beautiful flute! Is it Dominic's S1 (smaller holed) model?
I guess it has artificial ivory rings and embouchure? Why did you choose to have the embouchure section plated and not in boxwood? Is the head fully lined or half lined?

I noticed Dominic is offering a new model, a copy of a J. Renton flute, which has a fully lined head:
see more at his website: http://www.woodflutes.co.uk/flutes.html
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

hello Hans,
it's the S1 model, boxwood & artifical ivory. I asked for the lip plate to prevent the development of an allergy to boxwood. I am already allergic to several things, including african blackwood, so the lip plate is just a precaution. The head is half lined.