drones changing with increased pressure

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
djones

drones changing with increased pressure

Post by djones »

[from a beginner]

Drones change pitch with increased pressure on upper octave, so become out of tune...

Advice welcome on this one... it doesn't happen with my GHB... ;)

I am finding the pressure changing bag really challenging sometimes! Mostly I play without drones right now, but when I do...

Dave Jones
phcook
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by phcook »

What kind of reeds do you use?
Breizh soner
djones

Post by djones »

they are synthetic - i believe made by the pipe maker Childress... look like brass body and plastic tongue ... should i move bridle to cut off air a bit to stabilize??

Thank you!
djm

Post by djm »

Perhaps you are overpressuring to compensate for some holes not completely covered. (I know. I've been there.) The synthetic reeds are meant for a normal amount of pressure, and may not stand being pushed too hard. Most drone reeds will change if pushed too far, regardless of what they are made of.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
djones

Post by djones »

That makes good sense. I know I have had trouble with that sometimes and that the drones do not regularly do this. I did not realize, however, that I could compensate for poorly covered holes with increased pressure: I assumed if the holes were not covered, I could not get second octave.

This list is amazing... thank you so much...

I must say I am humbled by this instrument: my fingers dance up and down my GHB without a care, and then they become like wood on the uilleann pipes. It's only been 6 weeks or so, though, so I guess I cannot expect much better...

Again my thanks - I will practice keeping those holes covered better...

Dave Jones
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

It is all just getting used to it. I myself am a GHB player also but I have not gotten my UPs yet but I am sure I will be fine I do play Flute and Low Whistle.
Steve Pribyl

Post by Steve Pribyl »

I have no experience with synthetic drone reeds. However, regarding wood drone reeds, my understanding is that the pitch should be unwavering, even with varying amounts of pressure. This is based primarily on my conversations with, and instruction from, Tim Britton. Listening to good recordings of pipers bears this out.
chanterdan

stable reeds

Post by chanterdan »

try a little wax on the end of the tounge of your unstable reed,start with the tenor,if this dosent help you can wipe it right off. i myself had a set of these reeds in my lambe drones, i swiched to cane,also your chanter reed may be a wee bit open,too hard to get second octave,check your fingering. cheers,
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Back up a bit.

Is the chanter reed too hard or adjusted so the lips are open too much causing you to force too much pressure for the second octave, thus making them waver or go out of tune, or is there really a problem with the setting of the drone reeds that they are too sensitive for your properly adjusted chanter reed?
wharfedalecarving

Post by wharfedalecarving »

You need to establish a couple of things before you attempt any adjustments.
Do the drone reeds definately rise in pitch with increased pressure or it just the tone that changes? Also, is your chanter in tune with itself in both octaves? Establish this with an electronic tuner.
Remember also a couple of simple rules:
If the pitch rises (on a drone) with increased pressure, add weight to the tongue. If the pitch drops, deduct weight.
Hope this helps.
Joseph (the UK one) :wink:
lundblad

Post by lundblad »

This I think is a good topic. I have a chanter where the reed now is dead but it used to play in tune (for 2 weeks) while you got everything alright the back D needed a LOT mor pressure to get spot on...
While in Copenhagen at the workshop with Paddy Keenan he just told us that (and I think that's right) you should not have to think about compensating for a few notes because of the reed. Just press the bag and hit the note that drops at the weakest pressure (ín my experience this is usually back D) and then tune the drones to that pressure, that is how you should avoid wavering drones...while playing at that pressure.

Another way is to make sure the drone reeds are really seated in the drones...
djones

Post by djones »

That is great info thanks!

The adding weight to the drone reeds i totally new to me.. I'm grateful for the info and I know I'll need it later..

After assuring myself that the chanter was balanced, I discovered I was not properly covering the holes in the bottom hand. The holes are farther apart than my GHB chanter and I have to consciously think about spreading them apart.

This morning, I set everything up very nicely and found the drone sound very satisfactory in both octaves. The earlier poster was correct: I was probably putting too much pressure to compensate for holes not completely covered. I did not know it was possible to get the second octave at all if the holes weren't covered correctly, so I did not consider it as the problem.

E has been a consistent problem. If there is any note I'll frog up, it's E.

Since tutors are few and far between, I am really grateful for this forum. I would not have solved this on my own and if I did, it may have been after I had already learned poorly. We all know how difficult unlearning is.

Thank you all for your help.

Dave Jones