Can I rub your flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jennie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Can I rub your flute?

Post by Jennie »

Following up on a terrific suggestion by Peggy, I'm hoping to find somebody (or somebodies) willing to help me out. I am a whistler yearning for a flute but scared to death about the stretch. Being far from any flute besides a silver one, Peggy thought that if I could get a rubbing and make up a model, I'd have an idea of differences in hand stretch. I'm already guessing that a Pratten would be a bad choice for me.

So, is there anyone with a small-hands model, or other keyless models, who wouldn't mind sending me a rubbing of your flute, with diameter measurements, so I could pretend?

I actually have fairly large hands. But when I got a low whistle they started to hurt, so I'm worried about getting the wrong flute, especially for my right hand.

Thanks!
Jennie
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Well Low Whistle can do that to people in fact I wear a size 12 1/2 ring and Low Whistle hurt my hands. Flutes almost always have less of a stretch so I say you will probably be fine.
eedbjp
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

rub

Post by eedbjp »

Jenny, check your private messages. Brian
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Agree with Avery. Low whistles are hard on one's hands,
especially the right hand. The position on the flute
is much less stressful. Suggest you go for a flute
that you can return to the maker if it doesn't work.
Several good makers have such an arrangement.
Also Casey Burns flutes are very hand friendly.
You might call makers and talk to them.
Dave Copley would be worth a call.
Probably you will be alright. Jim
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

Get a Siccama flute !
( but not the high pitch eBay one )
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Try PMing Blackbeer - he's up your way (although considering Alaska's size he could be quite distant from you). If he's nearby and willing, perhaps you could actually try one of Tom's (blackbeers) smaller holed flutes.

Eric
ChrisA

Re: Can I rub your flute?

Post by ChrisA »

If you have a low whistle, to try holding a flute, you could just hold the whistle transversely.
It's the same hole spacing and same tube length. The embouchure hole would go where
the window is. (Or blow up any photograph of a flute to 22.5 inches or so, if you can print a
picture across two or three pages. (If it's a cylindrical whistle, as most lows are I think,
the finger spacing won't be truly identical).

If you get a flute with a two-part body (my Copley has one), you can adjust the pieces
into a lot of different positions for a comfortable grip.

You also have your choices of pipers grip and standard grip, and you can mix them up,
pipers on one hand and standard on the other, whatever works for you.

All that said, your hands most likely will hurt the first week or so you have a flute. You
have to identify the strain, correct your grip, it hurts less, identify strain, correct your grip,
and one day holding the flute feels completely comfortable and natural. (Mostly, actually,
I think it has to do with getting the feel of the balance of the flute so that you can
hold it lightly enough not to strain yourself. The three-point balace of the standard grip
feels very tenuous at first. Still, try to pay attention to how you're holding the flute...
which is hard, because you're also trying to pay attention to how you're blowing the flute
and how you're finger the notes!)
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Well Jennie probably already knows the fingering and could get used to it pretty easily but the grip will take getting used to so I say this start playing slower tunes or tunes slowed down to get used to everything.
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Hey Jennie; don`t even worry about finger stretch. Don`t even think about it. It doesn`t matter. We are quite adaptable cridders and a comfortable flute is easy to find. Most makers will help you out with finger placement and whatnot. I don`t think any of my flutes have the same finger spacing and only one gives me trouble with spacing, a bamboo flute in D. I keep it because it has a beautiful tone and voice and I know, if I played it for a week or so, I would get used to it. I live in Ketchikan, not to far away, and could lend you a flute to tryout and see what you think. I`m kinda anal about my wooden flutes but I have a great plastic flute in D made by Alan who you might know from the whistle forum. The holes are offset and there is no stretch involved. There are many makers who do this. Try not to get cought up in the must have sindrome. To me a flute is what you make it. Anyway, drop me an email if your interested: blackbeer44 at kpunet.net,

Take care

Tom
Unseen122

Post by Unseen122 »

If you are going to get a PVC FLute definatley go with a Tipple just ssearch it on ebay he puts em up for sale their Doug (Tipple) is also a member of this fourm and he makes one great PVC Flute and it is not too expensive.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Thanks all! I have come away with one offer for a rubbing, some PMs with great advice, and even a possible flute loan... but mostly, a great sense of encouragement and hope. This helps at least as much as the practical advice.

Once I make up my mind and finally get a flute, you'll all be hearing from me often. I really appreciate your responses. :)

Jennie
Unseen122

Post by Unseen122 »

Don't forget to listen a lot.