Using the whistle in church services

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dolmen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistle in church

Post by dolmen »

I visit many churches in the Essex are in the UK as part of my historical understanding of the area.

I have found 'Be Thou my vision' (hymn) played as a solo 'air' with cuts to be particularly inspirational in church settings and celtic Christian meetings.

I have had great feedback.

Mark.
picardy third

Post by picardy third »

Robin Mark's CD's are great. After Revival in Belfast, there was an album called Heal This Land. It starts with a great reel call "Mulhaires". I couldn't find the music for it, but was able to transcibe it. Any way, the main whistle player's name is Michelle Wooderson who actually wrote a book called "Irish Whistle in Worship". You can only get it from that church, Christ Fellowship Church, Belfast, Ireland.

In most Christian bookstores, in the worship section, there are normally a couple of kind of generic CD's called "Celtic Worship". They may be good to try out just to hear what others have done in a worship setting.

I play in a contemporary worship band that covers many styles on Sunday mornings. I play mainly electric and acoustic guitars but add whistle to the mix when it seems appropriate. It has help me out greatly in these situations to have tuneable whistles in just about every key I can think of! But that may not be for everyone.

P3
"Have a cluckity-cluck-cluck day."
Harpgal

Post by Harpgal »

Wowzers, thanks for all the replies. It certainly is interesting to hear of your experiences and how you bring the whistle to worship.

Our worship tends to be contemporary music with some older hymns.
My husband always brings a variety of whistles and flutes to improvise along.

Have you heard the Deep Still CD? It's another Celtic worship CD which blends songs with trad. reels and jigs. http://www.worshipmusic.com/4517792722.html Check out the clip of Celebration Jig.

An interesting note: Some of our church members are First Nations people (Native Americans) and they just love the whistle and flute because it is such a part of their cultural heritage. Talking to them got us listening to Native American flute playing. But that's another topic. :wink:
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

If you like whistles used in worship music, you might enjoy:

http://www.isle-of-light.com/

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

Redwolf wrote:If you like whistles used in worship music, you might enjoy:

http://www.isle-of-light.com/

Redwolf
Nice choice! :D

Also, if you are a rock listener, you may like Iona. They play a mixture of hard and soft progressive rock and include plenty of Irish-y stuff like whistles and u-pipes, and there's no hint of preachiness or "plastic optimism" in the lyrics. Think Kansas or Asia with a female lead singer and Celtic influences.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Danner

Post by Danner »

I am our church's live musician. (We have a "digital hymnal" that is programmed to play hymns when I don't play.) I do the whole service on Boehm flute, but occasionally I do a prelude or something on whistle or Irish flute. For the 4th of July I did some marches on piccolo. Occasionally I'll just play an Irish air during the offering. Nobody seems to mind if I stick in a trad tune with the hymns once and a while.
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
cfarrmoore

Post by cfarrmoore »

Hey to you whistle players out there who like to play worship music. Do you have any whistle makes that you especially like with this type of music, any that have a tone that you like with contemporary Christian worship?
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

It seems that most of ya'll play in contemporary services. Since I listen to the radio a lot during work, I'm familiar with several of the tunes mentioned in previous posts.

At my church I am the organist and only musician. We use ,99% of the time, hymns out of either the 1982 Hymnal or the 1940 one(Episcopal)- No contemporary service here, mostly Rite I- which I must admit, I prefer to the modern Rite II.

On the odd occasion I will use low D,Bb or A during communion. The folks love it. It's suprising how many of the tunes in there are adaptable to whistle. Particularly the tunes of Ralph Vaughn Williams, since they are old folk tunes that have only had religious lyrics added.

Last week, I did some IRTRAD tunes though- By the Side of the Rock for the communion hymn and for recessional- Dunmore Lasses and the Butterfly(played slow). It was the sunday after St. Pat's day after all, even if it was Palm Sunday too!
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Jack

Post by Jack »

I find that the best worship music is pure silence ("Be still, and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10).

Music of any type seems to me to be a distraction, or something that fosters a 'social club' type of atomsphere at church, and is something to be avoided as a worship vehicle. That's not to decry its value as entertainment, however.

I feel compelled to share a beautiful quote from Mother Teresa (from No Greater Love):
Mother Teresa wrote:We cannot find God in noise and agitation.

Nature: trees, flowers, and grass grow in silence. The stars, the moon, and the sun move in silence.

What is essential is not what we say but what God tells us and what He tells others through us.

In silence He listens to us; in silence He speaks to our souls. In silence we are granted the privilege of listening to His voice.

Silence of our eyes.
Silence of our ears.
Silence of our mouths.
Silence of our minds.
...in the silence of the heart
God will speak.
:)
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Cranberry wrote:I find that the best worship music is pure silence ("Be still, and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10).

Music of any type seems to me to be a distraction, or something that fosters a 'social club' type of atomsphere at church, and is something to be avoided as a worship vehicle. That's not to decry its value as entertainment, however.

I feel compelled to share a beautiful quote from Mother Teresa (from No Greater Love):

Nature: trees, flowers, and grass grow in silence. The stars, the moon, and the sun move in silence.

What is essential is not what we say but what God tells us and what He tells others through us.

In silence He listens to us; in silence He speaks to our souls. In silence we are granted the privilege of listening to His voice.

Silence of our eyes.
Silence of our ears.
Silence of our mouths.
Silence of our minds.
God will speak.
I could not disagree more. Church music can inspire, uplift and transcend. Music builds community in a way that silence never can. Gospel music in particular can energize in a way that silence never can.

Let me add that I was never one to meditate and sit in silence. Playing the whistle gets me to a similar place that many people reach in silent meditation--a transcendent plane. Inspiration music, on rare occasions, can also bring me to that place--a place of clarity.

Of course for those desiring silence, a Quaker meeting is a good place. Let those who desire it seek it.
+ Bill
Jack

Post by Jack »

BillChin wrote:
Cranberry wrote:I find that the best worship music is pure silence ("Be still, and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10).

Silence of our eyes.
Silence of our ears.
Silence of our mouths.
Silence of our minds.
God will speak.
I could not disagree more. Church music can inspire, uplift and transcend. Music builds community in a way that silence never can. Gospel music in particular can energize in a way that silence never can.

Let me add that I was never one to meditate and sit in silence. Playing the whistle gets me the same place that many people reach in silent meditation. Inspiration music, on rare occasions, can also bring me to that place--a place of clarity.

Of course for those desiring silence, a Quaker meeting is a good place. Let those who desire it seek it.
+ Bill
Oh, I love Gospel music. :) Especially Faith Hill. Her 'Keep Walking On' is so amazing.

I didn't mean to imply that music couldn't get a person to that place of which you speak--just that it can equally become a hinderance, and the music becomes more important than being touched by God, especially if you are the player of that music--worrying about the right notes and difficult songs, and if the crowd likes the tunes surely interferes with worshipping God. You cannot disagree with that.

Music can be a good thing in reaching God, but just as often, it seems, it isn't.

I agree with Mother Teresa that in the silence of the heart, mind, and soul, God speaks to us. It's easier to hear and we cannot get preoccupied and trapped in it like we can loud music and stage shows--the risk that's there with music isn't there with silence, especially extended silence.

Also, as a random bit of info, due to the missionary work over the last 150 or so years, most Friends meetings nowadays aren't of the silent (unprogrammed) variety--they're partially or fully programmed.

And I've sought. ;)
LisaD

Post by LisaD »

cfarrmoore wrote:Hey to you whistle players out there who like to play worship music. Do you have any whistle makes that you especially like with this type of music, any that have a tone that you like with contemporary Christian worship?
This is where WhOA comes in. :wink: Each whistle has its own unique sound ... each appropriate in different ways at different times.

I've played a Burke low E (haunting), Burke C (sweet), O'Riordan (strong), Sindt (complex) and Clarke (gentle, breathy). But when it comes down to it, it's the heart that matters, not the instrument. Having said that, though, it sure is enjoyable (and a privilege) to have a choice.

Lisa
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

There's a lot to be said for that! :)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

What a refreshing topic!

Silence can be golden, but I see that as when I need to listen. As for playing hymns on my whistles, that's when I try to offer up 'Thanks" for the gift of music. A simplified reasoning, but I'm a simple-type person. As one of the hard-headed Baptist Walden mentioned, right now only the piano is used in church .... maybe someday ...... :)

~Judy
Danner

Post by Danner »

It seems that most of ya'll play in contemporary services.
No, I don't. We only have one service, and it is most definately traditional. Many times when I play whistle, I will play an Irish air, and then work it into a church hymn (almost like a set). I mostly play whistle during Christmas time and in the summer when things usually get really boring in the world of church music (a.k.a. the 27th Sunday of Penacost thing). People really seem to like it when I pull out the whistle for a tune or two.

Ocassionally we sing this one hymn hymn put to the music of the Ash Grove. The tune is Welsh, if I'm not mistaken, but it's still kinda cool.
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan