Difference between D and C# chanter dimensions

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Marcelo Muttis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Difference between D and C# chanter dimensions

Post by Marcelo Muttis »

Hi every body, my question is very simple: Does the tuning of a D chanter and a C# chanter relies in the difference of their dimensions or they´re tuning depends just on their reeds?

Thank you

Marcelo
Thanks God for the opposite thumb.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

They have different bore sizes, length and reed sizes/dimensions.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

...and if you can get your D chanter to play in C# (in tune) let me know. You'd be onto a good reed there. Most D chanters, especially Rowsome-design ones - tend to want to play slightly sharp of D. So, yes, as Joseph says - slightly different dimesions all round.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Marcelo Muttis

Post by Marcelo Muttis »

Yes David, my chanter dimensions are according to a D chanter, but all the reeds I´ve made played in C#

Marcelo Muttis
Thanks God for the opposite thumb.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

When I first got these Froment Bees, I had a very nice reed made for me, from Ted's California cane, that accidently played almost perfectly in Bb in my Froment B chanter. I was even able to extend the drones to match, albeit the bass was slid out to the max. Ended up being the staple that was too long, so I shortened it to Alain's specs. That brought it up slightly above standard B so I thinned it a little in the 2nd scrape to lower the pitch. Now it's right on. It felt fine to be in Bb for a couple days though. I might have left it, but the regs you know gave the odd chord....diminishes and augment combination were possible. Strange.
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

Ive been wondering if I could make a c# chanter with my D reamer, I stop reaming at about 1/2" on D chanters but my reamer has another2-3 inches on it and goes up to about .544...
tompipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

When I first got these Froment Bees, I had a very nice reed made for me, from Ted's California cane, that accidently played almost perfectly in Bb in my Froment B chanter.
Mike Mullins here in St. Louis has a lovely Froment B set that is playing bang on in Bb at the moment. I offered to bring it back up to B if he wanted but he declined. "Doesn't make a difference when your playing on your own..."

Tommy
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

tompipes wrote:Mike Mullins here in St. Louis has a lovely Froment B set that is playing bang on in Bb at the moment. I offered to bring it back up to B if he wanted but he declined. "Doesn't make a difference when your playing on your own..."

Tommy
And if somebody should want to play with you... smack 'em!!! Unless they are, like, drop dead gorgeous... 34, 30, 34.... yeah, that's what I'm talkin' a-, a-....ahem... 'scuse me....

It is my personal opinion that everybody must tune to the 'flat set', if they want to jam.