a few thoughts on chocolate

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

aderyn_du wrote:
FJohnSharp wrote:My wife got me some Godiva for Valentine's Dy. It was from a department store, and it was covered in bloom (a chalky white coating caused by the changing of the fat crystals in the cocoa butter from one form to another form (alpha to beta I think). It comes from abuse, like letting it get too warm then cool again.
John, that is so cool that you know that-- I am thoroughly impressed. I had never known there was a term and an explanation for that occurrence. You rock! :thumbsup:
Aww, shucks, m'am. Nothing that a Master's in Food Science won't get ya.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
ChrisA
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChrisA »

FJohnSharp wrote:
aderyn_du wrote:
FJohnSharp wrote:My wife got me some Godiva for Valentine's Dy. It was from a department store, and it was covered in bloom (a chalky white coating caused by the changing of the fat crystals in the cocoa butter from one form to another form (alpha to beta I think). It comes from abuse, like letting it get too warm then cool again.
John, that is so cool that you know that-- I am thoroughly impressed. I had never known there was a term and an explanation for that occurrence. You rock! :thumbsup:
Aww, shucks, m'am. Nothing that a Master's in Food Science won't get ya.
You know what would be really, y'know, -really- impressive is if you could explain how
to temper chocolate. That's a really difficult thing. -So- difficult that every cookbook
out there claims it's too advanced a topic to cover. So, someone that can explain that
in simple, clear steps, would -obviously- be a genius... ;)

(Transparent fisihng for information? Huh? I don't know what you're talking about... ;))

--Chris
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

We food scientists learn about the molecular composition of foods, the physical and thermodynamic characteristics of foods, the organoleptic characteristics of foods, and the economic aspects of the food industry. Alas, we do not learn how to temper chocolate.

Yeah, yeah, my dad thought my education was worthless too, if I couldn't tell him how long to hard boil an egg.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
happyturkeyman

Post by happyturkeyman »

www.godiva.com wrote:Tempering Instructions
Using a microwave oven in combination with the time-honored professional method of tempering chocolate on a smooth, hard work surface (preferably marble) is quickly done in 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the amount of chocolate being tempered. Although some manufacturers suggest you melt chocolate with the microwave oven set on HIGH (100 percent) power, it is a good idea to reduce this to MEDIUM (50 percent) power for even melting and to avoid overheating. Because milk and white chocolates contain milk proteins, they need to be removed from the microwave and stirred sooner than dark chocolate. If overheated, milk and white chocolates can become grainy.

Temper chocolate in a clean, dry microwave-safe glass bowl. Use a dry, rubber spatula to stir the melted chocolate. The slightest amount of moisture will cause the chocolate to seize.

Use an accurate easy-to-read thermometer when tempering or making hand-made chocolates. We recommend a digital pocket thermometer or an instant read dial thermometer with l-degree increments. Do not use a candy (deep fat frying) thermometer because the temperature gauge does not register low enough.

For an accurate temperature reading, the thermometer must be immersed in at least 2 inches of melted chocolate. If the chocolate is not deep enough, insert the stem of the thermometer at an angle. Do not let the tip of the thermometer touch the bottom or sides of the bowl because this can give a false reading. Always stir the chocolate thoroughly for at least 1 minute before reading the thermometer. The temperature of the chocolate will continue to rise even after it has been removed from the microwave.

Once the chocolate has been tempered, set the bowl on a heating pad (such as the type used for backaches). First wrap the heating pad with plastic to protect it from dripping chocolate. This is a simple and nearly foolproof way to maintain the temperature of the tempered chocolate. As you work, stir the chocolate frequently and turn the control dial on and off to control the temperature of the chocolate. You must be diligent in this; it is very easy for the tempered chocolate to overheat and to go out of temper, even when warmed gently by a heating pad.

Chop the chocolate into 1/4-inch chunks. Put half of the chocolate in a 1 1/2 quart microwave-safe bowl. (Use a 1 quart bowl when tempering 8-ounces of chocolate or less. When tempering more than 2 pounds of chocolate, use a larger bowl.) Microwave uncovered on MEDIUM (50 percent) power for 1 1/2 to 6 minutes, stirring every 1 1/2 minutes, until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Stir in the remaining chocolate chunks.

Microwave uncovered on MEDIUM (50 percent) power for 1 1/2 to 5 minutes, stirring every 60 seconds, until the chocolate is almost completely melted. Gently stir the chocolate and when it is completely melted, check the temperature. It should read between 110 and 120 degrees F (or the temperature recommended by the manufacturer.) If necessary, put the chocolate back in the microwave set on low (10 percent) power for 5 to 10 second intervals, until it reaches the correct temperature. (Stir the chocolate for at least 1 minute before checking the temperature.)

Transfer the melted chocolate to another 1 1/2-quart (or a smaller or larger bowl depending on the amount of chocolate being tempered.) This will bring the temperature of the chocolate down to approximately 100 degrees F.

Wrap a heating pad (normally used for backaches) in plastic to protect it from chocolate stains. Set the control dial to the lowest setting.

Pour one-third of the melted chocolate onto a clean, dry work surface (such as marble or Formica). Keep the remaining chocolate in the bowl on the heating pad.

Using an offset metal cake spatula, spread the chocolate evenly across the work surface into a rectangle. Using a pastry scraper, bring the chocolate together, and as you do so, scrape the chocolate off the spatula. Continue this spreading and scraping process until the chocolate cools to 80 to 82 degrees F for milk and white chocolates and 82 to 84 degrees F for dark chocolate, loses its shine and forms a thick paste with a dull matte finish. Work quickly so that the chocolate does not lump. This process can take anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes, depending on the amount of chocolate, the type and brand of chocolate as well as the temperature of the kitchen. The chocolate is now seeded. The professional term for this is "mush."

Add the mush to the bowl of 100 degrees F chocolate and using a clean, dry rubber spatula, stir the chocolate gently, until smooth. Be careful not to create air bubbles as you stir the chocolate.

Check the temperature of the chocolate. It should register between 86 and 91 degrees F depending on the type and brand of chocolate. (In general, dark chocolate should register between 86 to 90 degrees F and milk and white chocolates should register between 86 to 89 degrees F.) If necessary, heat the bowl of chocolate in the microwave on LOW (10 percent) power for 5 to 10 second intervals, to raise the temperature the required number of degrees. (Stir the chocolate for at least 1 minute before checking the temperature. Be very careful not to overheat the chocolate.) The chocolate is now ready to work with. As you work, regularly stir the chocolate and check its temperature. Adjust the temperature and fluidity of the chocolate by turning the heating pad on and off. If for some reason the chocolate becomes too cold, simply reheat it in the microwave oven set on LOW (10 percent) power for 5 to 10 second intervals. (Stir the chocolate for at least 1 minute before rechecking the temperature.) Never let its temperature exceed 92 degrees F, or the stable cocoa butter crystals will start to melt and the temper will be lost.
edit: Oh yeah, and frozen Hershey bars (milk) are the best.
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Not only have I learned how to temper chocolate, and the term for chocolate that's been abused, I also learned I'm not the only one who's bitten into a candy bar only to find my hand crawling with little critters.
Twice. I would think that cooking the nuts during production would kill the eggywegs.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Flyingcursor wrote:Not only have I learned how to temper chocolate, and the term for chocolate that's been abused, I also learned I'm not the only one who's bitten into a candy bar only to find my hand crawling with little critters.
Twice. I would think that cooking the nuts during production would kill the eggywegs.
::ad runs screaming away, vowing to never return to the chocolate thread::

(until a new post comes in, anyway)
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

See, this is why the chocolate on our side of the pond is so much to be preferred:

"According to the US Food and Drug Administration’s food defect action level, a certain level of insect parts per gram is allowed in chocolate.
“Chocolate comes from the cocoa plant, and there is no way to produce and harvest crops without natural defects — insects,” A’Psis said. When plants are grounded to make chocolate, so are any leftover bugs still on the plant.
According to A’Psis, there are 22 insect parts in every Hershey’s Kiss.
“Imagine how many are in a Hershey bar,” she added. ••"

http://www.northeasttimes.com/2003/0219/kiss.html

I do not covet your Hershey bars. Pah! I say to them.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

GaryKelly wrote:"According to the US Food and Drug Administration’s food defect action level, a certain level of insect parts per gram is allowed in chocolate.
“Chocolate comes from the cocoa plant, and there is no way to produce and harvest crops without natural defects — insects,” A’Psis said. When plants are grounded to make chocolate, so are any leftover bugs still on the plant.
According to A’Psis, there are 22 insect parts in every Hershey’s Kiss.
“Imagine how many are in a Hershey bar,” she added. ••"
This entire thread is absolutely cruel and evil. I'll never be able to eat chocolate again!!!! See what you all have done???? That's just sheer evil. And sad.....what will I do without my chocolate? I just can't even think now....
::going off to join ad in the corner to have a good cry::
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Ooh! More fascinating chocolate trivia:

http://www.corsinet.com/trivia/vvv-triv.html

Amar, stop it. 22 lbs of chocolate in a year will do nothing for your figure.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
emmline

Post by emmline »

GaryKelly wrote: I do not covet your Hershey bars. Pah! I say to them.
And I'm certain all the little wiggly critters say "pah" right back to Gary!
(actually, what they say is: "Pah Gary! And pah to your precious too!")
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

izzarina wrote:This entire thread is absolutely cruel and evil. I'll never be able to eat chocolate again!!!! See what you all have done???? That's just sheer evil. And sad.....what will I do without my chocolate? I just can't even think now....
::going off to join ad in the corner to have a good cry::
Iz, honey, do you like frozen pizza? You know good ol' Stouffer's French Bread pizza? Quick, convenient, and oh-so-tasty?

I saw this product's FDA allowable for rodent hairs a number of years ago and completely, absolutely, totally, and permanently lost all interest in Stouffer's French Bread pizza. Stouffer's everything else, as well. And just about everything pre-prepared and frozen.

I mean, bug parts are kind of unavoidable. The critters lay their eggs in the beans, after all. And in the nuts. It's natural.

But, rodents are something else again. That's not natural . . . it's just trashy housekeeping.

Bleech!
Last edited by Lambchop on Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cotelette d'Agneau
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

I'm not sure I like the idea of tempering chocolate in the -microwave-, but I think I can adjust,
thanks muchly! ;)

How you ever found that, I'll never know... I've never found web searches
on 'chocolate' for candy techniques to be effective due to a) the popularity of the topic and
b) the number of people trying to sell you pre-made chocolates. Good work!

As for all the fuss about bugs and such... well, the bugs -inside- the candy are disturbing,
and they really ought to be able to avoid that. It sounds like very bad quality control... not
roasting the nuts at a high enough temperature or something. Eh. I don't like most chocolate
with nuts anyway.

But the 'bug parts' is likely misleading. -Nothing- we eat is perfectly clean and sterile (unless
you live in a sterile bubble due to some severe immune disorder). The world is full of microscopic and near-microscopic organisms, and we can ignore them. I don't know what bugs hang out on cacao beans for certain, but I suspect they are much closer to the size of a dust-mite than to the size of a june bug. (You know dust mites, the invisible bugs in your
curtains. Oh, and your skin is covered in (harmless, symbiotic) bacteria! And
cheese is made from (very particular cultures of ) mold! Don't worry, you'll live... :roll:)

Personally, I worry more about pesticides in my food than pests in my food.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

ChrisA wrote: Personally, I worry more about pesticides in my food than pests in my food.

Ah, that's because you live in Massachusetts. (Notice I spelled that correctly? My mom is from there. It was the second state I could spell. Mississippi came next . . .)

My Boston relatives came to visit a few years ago. They were ducking all the way from the airport to my home. Turned out to be the bugs flying past the car. Then, when we got home, there were a lot of oleander moths flying around. My relatives refused to get out of the car. Pried them out and pointed them toward the door, and they froze. The sidewalk was covered with lizards.

And then I had to mention that they shouldn't touch or even sniff the pretty pink flowers everywhere because they were deadly.

The next day, we coaxed them to the park. Realized my mistake when they saw the sign "DO NOT FEED OR MOLEST THE ALLIGATOR."

Come visit me in Florida and I'll show you some pests. Indoor, outdoor, indoor-outdoor.

The theory of spontaneous generation never baffled me in biology classes. I'd been experiencing it in the kitchen all my life. Animals just erupt from food. Any kind of food. And they do it FAST.

But I still take exception to rodent hairs. And to toilet snakes. I don't mind 'em outside, but it's just not nice to have 'em in the toilet. (I live on the 10th floor solely to avoid them.)
Cotelette d'Agneau
rh

Post by rh »

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Dark chocolate -- but not white chocolate - may help reduce blood pressure and boost the body's ability to metabolize sugar from food, according to the results of a small study.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... te_dark_dc
there is no end to the walking
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Flyingcursor wrote:Not only have I learned how to temper chocolate, and the term for chocolate that's been abused, I also learned I'm not the only one who's bitten into a candy bar only to find my hand crawling with little critters.
Living in the Philippines, I learned my lesson, to spend the extra pesos for a British Kit-Kat, rather than an Australian one, after finding a big green woolyworm in an Australian Kit-Kat.
Reasonable person
Walden